Update on Mille Lacs Public access proposal

• steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Just a litle update.

With cameras rolling, I attempted to drive into the proposed public access site, known as Rays Boat Dock, today.

400 ft. from shore, engine at idle and trimmed quite a ways up, I was clunking on the rocks. The water today on Mille Lacs in that area is FLAT CALM. At about 40 yds. from the harbor opening, my boat was stuck dead in it’s tracks.

So….add waves and it is impossible. Add 18 inches of water which would be higher than “normal” and with waves you still will be in trouble with your lower units.

Sad deal….

I bought my fishing license afterwards and was sick at the thought of my $$…and yours….going into THIS fund.

I truly feel heads need to roll at Trails and Water Ways…especially after this piece airs. ( I will let you know when and where)This is an out right disgrace on behalf of the 2 million anglers and boaters who pay for this department to operate.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Steve…

Sounds like the jig will soon be up.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I’m giggling like Rasco P.Coltrain in anticipation of the story!
    Ge Ge Ge!!!!!
    Lets put one on the board for the good guys! Maybe a little picket shore lunch for the news on opener?

steve-fellegy

The Fox 9 news will air a story on this on the Thursday (May 10th) night 9 pm. telecast.

I hear the channel 5 people are gonna be up here tomorrow to do an interview with Lowell Jaeger from Trails and Waterways ON SITE at Rays. I expect them to call…

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for the update Steve, keep us posted!

EyeSlayer1
    MG

Thanks Steve for your hard work on this issue. I’ll be watching Thursday.

Manitouchuck
    Minnetonka & Mille Lacs

They should be working on Liberty Beach,dredging and improving the access so we have a public access that works. I asked my neighbor on Mille Lacs why Liberty is stalled and he said they ran out of money. I have no idea who he heard that from, but that is the talk on the street. This is business as usual in our DNR/govt. That access should have been fixed for this opener, how much time and money do they need?

steve-fellegy

“Ran out of money”….now THAT’S funny!

They have a million to set aside for the north end venture that will fail and are trying to buy Scenic Bay Resort in Isle (which the city is generally against) for the purpose of ANOTHER access. “Out of money”???

steve-fellegy

……..also ch. five on Friday night.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I just saw an ad on Fox 9 news for the piece that they are doing tonite at 9pm. I really like the idea of this getting some tv time!!!

This will be a don’t miss it news cast!!!

Thanks to everyone that has had a hand in this matter!!

Come see our tax dollars spent!!!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

I’ll be watching. I have the dvr already set-up just incase.

steve-fellegy

I saw the promo too. The anchor guy was up yesterday and shot the promo piece you are seeing..waders on in knee deep water over 100ft. from the shore.

This is earmarked for about FIVE MINUTES of air time. I just hope the tape editors got it right! Julie Anderson did a great job in the taping of this piece. Now we’ll see how the edits “spin” the story.

The ch. 5 piece should be good too as it is scehduled for Friday nights broadcasts. We taped that yesterday…with DNR reps watching and also being interviewed as they defended the mess.

Both pieces have face to face interviews with DNR players within this venture as well as locals etc.

The web pages of both channels will archive the tape for those who miss it.

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

I was told the hold up at Liberty is that they are waiting for the bidding deadline before the work can begin. I was told that the sealed bids are to be opened in the next month(?)and the work should start very quickly after that.

archer59
    Twin Cities

Just watched the report on the number 9. Didn’t make the DNR look real good.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Couldn’t agree more both passolt and robynson were really putting in their 2 cents against it!
    for once the spin went the way of the good guys.

Great job Steve! Hats off to you in a big way!

Lets hope the number 5 does the same. For anyone that reads this tonight or before 9am, give a call into KQRS and get them talking about it too, passolt should be on tomorrow and by the sounds of it he’ll continue to push against it.

has
    Hudson, WI

Could someone put a link to the video, I didn’t get a chance to see it.

has
    Hudson, WI

Never mind I found it.

Steve,

Thanks for all your hardwork you put into this.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i have looked at the ch 9 web page and can’t find the video. can someone post a link…….tom fellegy

kellyb
    Prior Lake, MN

Tom, it was on ch 9’s website this morning @ 7:00am but now it looks like they pulled it off?? Dunno why???

kellyb
    Prior Lake, MN

Just checked again and it’s back up as a news piece on their wesite.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Anybody see the story still on the website? I scoured it but didn’t have any luck finding it. If so, a link would be great!

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Thanks! A good piece, but fairly tame compared to what i was expecting and/or hoping for.

steve-fellegy

It was NOT “tame” before the edits were put in place. But they did a good job at being fair and offering both sides to this, some time and words. Maybe too “tame” but the message got across loud and clear…a cool million $$ worth of fishing license money blowin’ in the wind—threatening the well-being of your outboards in the process.

Maybe ch. 5 will be a little tougher on this tonight at 10 pm.

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

Steve,

Thanks for ALL your efforts. I have posted several times on this issue here and find it really appauling that the DNR will find a way to spend this kind of money on a hope-and-a-prayer when the current launches are in need of attention and when other more suitable sites are around. I don’t get up to the lake as much as I’d like but it really peev’s me to see my tax dollars going toward something like this and watch our DNR officials act as if they are oblivious to the oppositions of people like yourself who (obviously) know a bit more about the needs and requirements for the lake. I sure wish they(TV) keep an eye on this one…

Tuna

Viewing 28 posts - 61 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.