Update on Mille Lacs Public access proposal

• steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

You might recall, I posted my/your concerns a few weeks ago about how the Trails and Waterways Division of our Mn. DNR is proposing to spend a million of YOUR dollars at Mille Lacs.

Here’s an update and even MORE reason to be concerned!

1. In mid-January, word was out that the DNR had NOT taken veteran Mille Lacs advice, was disregarding the Aitkin County Sheriff’s public safety warnings and concerns, and had entered into an “election to purchase” agreement with the Ray’s Boat Dock owners.

2. I immediately scheduled an in person meeting with Laurie Martinson, newly appointed DNR Assistant Commissioner and Forest Boe, Director of Trails and Waterways Divsion. (I suspected the Brainerd office had not passed on the info we had suggested to them that should have ended the venture.)

3. After an hour of me giving my fact based opinion and fact based concerns about this site proposal and passing on the concerns of the Sheriff, to Laurie and Forest, I asked them “what are the positives about this proposed site for the use of a public access?” Their ONLY answer? Their ONLY reasoning? “It’s for sale and we are buying property!” No concerns about the value and or the objective this property will offer them in the end per their plans!

So–dear Mille Lacs fans and taxpayers—you are about to see a million dollar purchase/project that will be similar in stature to the multi-thousand dollar toilet seat scandal by the government a few years ago. Or the multi-hundred dollar hammers they bought a few years ago!

Unless they are somehow pressured into coming to their senses…this cool million $$ is about to wash away in the Mille Lacs waves! The sale has not closed yet –that I know of…but I have heard nothing from the DNR to say it will not.

You should be VERY disappointed in YOUR DNR on this move!
    THIS is amazing!

the_grump
    Le Center

Steve,
    Do you have a link to youre original post, or is there another place to find more info on this?

Thanks

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Previous post right here

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

Steve,
    Have you heard anything about the proposed access at Liberty Beach. Talk was they (DNR) were going to be putting in a three place access there.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Steve,
    Have you heard anything about the proposed access at Liberty Beach. Talk was they (DNR) were going to be putting in a three place access there.

I heard it was to be a 2 place. I would think they would get that one done quick with the water being so low…

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Steve,

What or how can we help in this? Do you need us to write letters, send emails or whatever….

What a waste of our money

steve-fellegy

Bob, I doubt they open too many emails and someone surely screens letters.

Here’s a phone number for Forest Boe. 651-259-5615

The ONLY thing or reasoning I can see for them to be going through with this mess at the Ray’s site is that they simply are not gonna let someone tell them, therefore them admit, they jumped into this WITHOUT THINKING and PLANNING.

“It’s for sale” doesn’t cut it.

Hound Forrest Boe. Hound your local politicians to look into this mess….NOW! Bury Laurie Martinson with emails at [email protected] I thought she was pretty sharp and level headed. On this she is being very irresponsible! They ALL are!

Call me if you have any questions in this regard. Or if you heard back from any of these people.

They told me the site at Liberty Beach will be completed by the end of ’07.

steve-fellegy

By the way…our local state Senator…Tom Saxhaug…has ignored my attempts to discuss this with him.

Also….here is a copy of an email I sent Forrest and Laurie after our latest meeting. I get zero response!

To all who attended our meeting 02/15/17 at Mille Lacs:

First, thank you for taking the time and effort, creating a long day for you all, to discuss the public access issues at Mille Lacs—focusing on the Ray’s Boat Dock site proposal.

My thoughts and feelings that I take away from yesterday are the following:

1. I sat back, after listing the subject on an agenda email prior to our meeting, and waited for the EAW (Enviromental Assessment Worksheet)subject to come up. As has been the case throughout this discussion, NOTHING of the sort was brought up.

Quoting some of the criteria that covers the needs for an EAW— ” which are generally determined by the [rule of reason]” and covers “direct and indirect effects of the project”, and “preservation of cultural quality”…..the ball has been dropped by NOT including an EAW and possibly an EIS BEFORE Ray’s Boat Dock is considered for a public access venue.

It now seems inevitable that time, money and effort will have to force DNR to make that to happen.

2. No one at the table, when asked, could come up ANY solid, positive attributes about the Ray’s Boat Dock site other than “it’s for sale” coming from Laurie… as she shrugged her shoulders.

Using the balance beam as a true test of the positive and negative aspects of Ray’s Boat Dock, both measures being of equal weight, we ALL saw which way the beam leaned. No doubt!

3. We ALL agreed it’s time to re-think the present policies that are in place now and have been the guiding factor in the past regarding public accesses at Mille Lacs.

Forest, Lowell, Laurie……I ask you to ask YOURSELVES–“What would reasonable people, and reasonable managers decide when having to approve or disapprove the purchase of Ray’s Boat Dock for use as a public access?” Ask yourselves that while you look in the mirror.

Ask yourselves if YOU would approve of the DNR moving into a setting that included YOU as the owner of HALF the harbor.

Ask yourselves if YOU would approve of the DNR spending YOUR money for the Ray’s Boat Dock site, all the while knowing they (DNR) knew it was not the best choice.

Ask yourselves if, as Forest suggested it might be, you want to “gamble” this venture will work out in the end. And if it doesn’t, as Forest suggested, “we can sell it” , therefore losing several hundred thousand dollars of development money not able to be recovered over and above the property value. (in an era when land values have leveled off) Good management basis–“gamble”?

Ask these questions of yourselves looking in the mirror.

Will you stand up, step back, and realize this has been a mistake? Or will you continue to allow yourselves to deny it has been an ongoing mistake and for the sake of not admitting to the mistake, allow a disaster to happen?

Laurie, I have been in the past and am presently proud of the DNR leadership that has and is representing me and all of Minnesota. Now YOU are in the leadership role. I want nothing more than to continue to be proud of my DNR. Approving the purchase of the Ray’s Boat Dock for public access use will embarrass me. It will make me anything but proud!

Will you be, as you look in the mirror, “reasonable people and reasonable managers”? Or the gamblers Forest spoke of?

In the end…..Allow the information you now have in hand to be studied and BACK OUT of the Ray’s Boat Dock purchase. You will not be put to the back of the line to buy it by doing so…there is NOT a line up to buy it. “It’s for sale” is NOT enough for reasonable managers to act on. You guys are better than that…aren’t you? ( I will gladly pay the penalty dollars owed to Ray’s for backing out of the sales agreement!)

I look forward to hearing from you in the next few days. As we all know, you only have a few days to make the right choice….

Steve Fellegy

218-678-3103

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

The only thing that might work and cause a sh*t storm of controversy is to get this in the hands of the local media/political types. If there’s a tell-all story in the Strib or Pioneer Press, it’ll get looked at and scrutinized REAL quickly.

As much as I hate writers looking for a negative story or scoop, this might be a time to use them to our benefit. If it stays in the small circle of friends it’s in now, nothing will change. It will take a ground swell from the general public and THEN the politicians will get involved to look good.

Just a thought – I don’t know if you have anybody in mind to send it to. I certainly do not. But it might be worth a shot.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I think both Steve and Joe have access to some media outlets..

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

Hey Steve,

After reading yours, and many others posts, I decided to express my opinion to the DNR as well. I received this back and decided to post it here. I may agree with some of the others here and maybe this should be part of a media issue. Anyway, thank you for keeping us posted and up-to-date!!

Received from the DNR:

Hi Chuck. Thank you for your note.

Yes, the MN DNR, Division of Trails & Waterways is currently looking at
    properties on Mille Lacs Lake to improve our Public Water Access program.

We currently are looking for sites that would provide some sort of protection
    for our boaters. Our Fisheries and Waters Divisions are a bit nervous about
    breakwaters and jetties because of the failure rate and the increased problem
    with exotics. So we have been looking for several years for existing harbors or
    jetties.

You obviously are talking about the property near Wealthwood called “Ray’s Boat
    Dock.” It’s a small resort with a small harbor, access, and would provide
    additional parking to our lake users. We currently hold an option to purchase
    that property. It is our intent to follow through with the purchase and
    development of the site barring considerations that would show this to be a
    detriment. So far we see this project to be a positive. The consideration for
    purchase is being run up the ladder as I type.

Yes, these things cost money, but with careful consideration through the eyes of
    our St. Paul staff who have state-wide responsibilities we have put Mille Lacs
    and protected access on the top of our priority list. The property we are
    looking at, the property we just purchased (Liberty Beach) and others we are
    considering all have merit and are being looked at because of one thing: they
    will substantially improve access to the lake.

You must not be listening to all the people. There are people who are either
    indifferent or supportive of the project. Yes, some of the neighborhood raised
    some questions but we feel we will address each and every one of their concerns.

So in the near future our Department will make a decision regarding the purchase
    of this property. And in the meantime we are looking seriously at others to
    help meet a rapidly growing demand. I’ve been one of those out on the lake
    after the lunker walleye. The lake as one of the finest fisheries in the nation
    deserves our attention. Thanks for the opportunity to visit.

Lowell Jaeger
    Brainerd Area Trails & Waterways Supervisor

Sounds like the decision has been made to me!

steve-fellegy

Thanks for the update!

As of yesterday, the 2nd, NO closing date on Ray’s has been set. Here is the latest—

“Currently there has not been a closing date scheduled and at this point I do not anticipate that one will be scheduled for several weeks. Should you have further questions do not hesitate to contact me.”

Kent Skaar
    Acquisition and Development Section Leader
    Trails and Waterways Division
    Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
    500 Lafayette Road
    St. Paul, MN 55155

(651) 259-5636

The guy you quote (Lowell Jaeger)has NO CLUE about how to “address each and every one of their concerns”. NO CLUE! When did he write this? I dare him to come up wit hone person, after seeing this “plan” and understanding it…that is “supportive”. I dare him to name ONE!

He is right on one thing–it is being “run up the ladder” alright! And that’s why his (Lowell Jaeger)knee jerk idea of purchasing the Ray’s Boat Dock site is NOT done yet and I actually think, if we scream loud enough, to the top dogs who spend and manage YOUR DNR checkbook, it won’t happen. The “up the ladder” are smarter than that–I hope!
    That “option to buy” has been in place for six months and been re-written twice!

So—read my Outdoors Section column in next weeks(March 7th issue) Mille Lacs Messenger. Then you’ll know how I REALLY feel about this Ray’s Boat Dock public access ordeal.lol Wear fire retardant gloves/clothing as you read….

There are Twin City TV investigative reporters on this story “as I type”. They START at the TOP of the “ladder”.

Keep me posted…thanks!

jldii

That Lowell Jaeger speaks like a true politician!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

“We’re looking into”
    “consideration”
    “options”
    “Planned for years”
    “maybe”
    “possible”

*politician* *politicain*

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

“We’re looking into”
    “consideration”
    “options”
    “Planned for years”
    “maybe”
    “possible”

*politician* *politicain*

Quote:

You must not be listening to all the people. There are people who are either
    indifferent or supportive of the project. Yes, some of the neighborhood raised
    some questions but we feel we will address each and every one of their concerns.

So everyone is indifferent or supportive? No one against?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

ok, here’s an idea, address each and every concern before you go ahead a throw a million away! Better yet, give me the million, at least I’ll throw one heck of a party for each and every one of you. Would it be beneficial for some of us out of staters to send out a few letters? I truely think that having a shallow harbor is a great idea for those of you who intend to launch a canoe to gain access to the lake.

steve-fellegy

So now you know how I REALLY feel about this mess! lol

Messanger Artical<<

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Steve,

thank you for posting your article in the paper.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i heard a rumor up here on the south end that the dnr is looking into scenic bay resort in isle also. i can’t see that happening. it is a good rumor though. there is a $840.000 price tag on that property…………….tom fellegy

steve-fellegy

“UP here on the south end”??? I thought it was “DOWN here on the south end”. lol

chomps
    Sioux City IA

now! now! you two behave before we have to send you to your rooms.

steve-fellegy

Update on the access saga….

As of yesterday (March 8th), NO PUCHASE AGREEMENT nor a CLOSING DATE has been set on this potential disastrous DNR venture. They made another attempt to buy the ajoining property that owns half the harbor and failed as predicted. He will NOT sell. Period.

So…my guess…if they (DNR)can’t own the WHOLE thing…they will finally get smart and back off this fiasco. Which they should have done and would have done if they had done their homework in the first place!

savage_tuna
    Savage, MN

Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting your article and thanks for keepin’ us up-to-date on this OBVIOUS fiasco!!

Tuna

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Since our calls and emails couldn’t deter them, I’ll keep my fingers cross and hope we can chalk one up for the good guys!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Steve, can they pull an eminent domain on him?

steve-fellegy

Surely the lack of need for more public access to the lake and other locational options being available would not allow that to happen…one would think. I would doubt this venture would not be at a level like a widening of a hiway or the like. But NOTHING would surpise me!

jldii

I question the DNR’s motives here, and have to wonder if there might not possibly be some pressure being put on them from “Tribal” interests for more “public” accesses.

steve-fellegy

I agree Jack! As a matter of fact, the Trails and Waterways
    people have told us in no uncertain terms, that they will NOT discuss ANYTHING regarding the Tribal issues relative to this venture. “No if’s , ands or buts!”

KellyW

Chris, on the Eminent Domain issue, Minnesota can and has used it to purchase lake front property including access in other situations, so the answer is yes, the DNR could if they wanted to (I’m an attorney). Keep in mind the courts would determine price though unless the parties could work that out, and usually with ED they cannot (the party being forced to sell is usually mad). The case of the state taking through ED is stronger with a recent Supreme Court ruling where the court ruled 5-4 government can take through ED and then sell to a private developer (this was a big issue when Chief Justice John Roberts was questioned before being sworn in). Hope this helps. BTW, my brother Lance and I still go catfishing to those spots you guided us to in Hastings and they are still kicking out big cats! . We enjoy reading your posts on ML as we, like most people here, know what a great fisherman you are. Next time you see our Yamaha Special edition White Lund with Blue Lettering we’ll be the guys waiving.

Kelly Wendlandt

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kelly, thanks for the info!
    Thanks also for the compliment! Say “Hi” to your Bro. We will see ya on the River! I have added a few spots since then. Stole them from Brian K.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.