Lucky 2 B alive!

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Here is a herd of Otters. They come out at 20 below!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It was soooooo cold yesterday that the sunset even froze!

jldii

I can see from those pictures that you’re fishing my spot again!!

Bruce Bombard
    Forest Lake/Wahkon MN

Hey Chris Finely got time to respond To you about your close call last night. I think it must be the blind fold thing again. I forgot again to tell ya that you have to take it off when your driving by your self from that spot Glad to here your OK. Gets the heart a pumpen when you have to bail out the window doesn’t it. Had to do that last year when the Rhino went in Worked on Becky’s Basement today, NO Fishing Later……..BB

Bruce Bombard
    Forest Lake/Wahkon MN

Just noticed that picture of the Otters has a Rhino tucked in on the Windy side Doesn’t look windy or cold in that picture at all ……..BB

gary_wellman
    South Metro

WOW!
    Glad to hear you are ok Chris!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I can see from those pictures that you’re fishing my spot again!!

No, you must be fishing ours.

That darned blindfold!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Chris, glad you made it out, man Wouldn’t be the same around here without you!!!

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Chris, Glad to hear it all worked out. Man that sounds scary. Be safe & Good Fishin Doug

buschman
    Pool 2

Thats some scary stuff Chris! Good to hear your OK and made it off the lake!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Glad to hear you are ok Chris! I’d hate to lose my favorite cousin-in-law!

joel

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

WOW…Chris…that was a close call…

I am thankful you are alright…

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

steve fellegy and i went to brainard together on thursday. one of the topics of conversation on the way back was about the TRAP being set. he told me that it is prime this weekend for someone to drop a truck in. he has posted it on this site and has told me about it many times, how the ice contracts during cold snaps and sometimes the crack will develop away from the main crack. just glad to hear that tuck is ok. i guess steve does know what he is talking about when it comes to the big lake……………………….tom fellegy

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I should have went back out on Sunday to take some pics of the area. (But my boots were still wet! ) but it was an interesting phenomena. There were no tell tale signs of a problem at all. No lifted ice (Visible through the drift.), no water on the ice, nothing. But seeing how the snowbank cracked and sunk about a foot was weirdly cool, looking back at it from my warm office, dry. It is a pretty scary feeling when you walk towards the road, and you go down between the crack and your vehicle. You realize damn quick that there is nothing in front of your truck keeping it from going in and down in a short period of time.
    Never take a snow bank for granted, and never trust a fart when you are over 40. Wisdom comes with age I guess. And so do bacon stripes on your underwear.

Bruce Bombard
    Forest Lake/Wahkon MN

Tuck, You weren’t trying to “FORD” that spot of bad ice and water were you ……..BB

timmy

Just read the posting….Glad you’re still with us, Tuck!

Tim

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Glad everything turned out ok Tuck. Maybe you could post a small illustration showing what the situation was and it would possibly help someone to avoid a possible similar situation in the future. Thanks.

kmcquoid

Chris,

Glad Kevin got to talk with you this morning after we read your post. We had no idea you ran into this this weekend! I know you were pretty cold and in shock likely, but we do want to know about these things when they happen, so next time…just kidding, there won’t be a next time, right?

Going across banks from the plows is just not a good idea, as you have now experienced. Many times the weight is too much and there are cracks along the banks. Big reason why we say STAY on the roads.

Thanks for sharing a great learning opportunity with everyone! Stay safe and DRY.

Karen McQuoid
    Mac’s Twin Bay

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Yes, that is correct Karen..The road was the place to be! I did not want to weave through the permanent houses, and short cut it a bit. It was good to talk to Kevin! Tell him thanks for calling, that was nice of him. I don’t get to see him near enough during the off season of tournament fishing….

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Yikes…glad to hear you and your truck are ok!

Jim

><(((>

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Interestingly, this past Sunday morning, at -28, I rode to my houses on the 4 wheeler and ALMOST got into a trap myself!

The extreme contracting of the ice had formed a pie shaped piece of ice about 20ft. long and 10 ft. wide. With visible cracks about 2″ inches wide separating the pie shaped piece from the main ice….spider-webbed off the bigger, wider crack that was 15-20 inches wide. I had the main crack bridged with my 3/4 plywood….no problem, right? So, I crossed the bridge and go about 30ft. and run into this piece of pie that ended up to be no piece of cake! It evidently had just happend minutes before me crossing over it! It was still a “wet crack”. So, the big Polaris 700 was big and heavy enough to rock that big ice cube 6 inches up above the rest of the main level of ice…water flying. Wanna try that with a truck?! I took a little different route back to shore…….

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Glad to hear that you are alright as we got some pheasants to shoot.
    I have falling through the ice twice, never a good feeling.

Ron

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Glad to hear you are ok Chris!

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.