Lucky 2 B alive!

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Yeterday I opted to take the truck as opposed to the sled due to the weather. At dusk I was coming off of Mac’s Twin Bay road, and the truck broke through and dropped a few feet,hanging up on the frame. I jumped out and ran to the road to flag down a truck, and fell through the ice up to my waist! In -21 weather. A couple of guys seeing what was happening swung wide behind me. I grabbed my snap rope out of the truck, got it attached to both trucks just in the nick of time. We pulled like mad, and got her back up on safe ice. After getting back on safe ice, we could see that ther was a crack under the plow drift at the edge of the road that I had to cross to get onto the main road. You could see that the ice dropped a couple of feet!
    Like the saying goes, no ice is safe ice!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Glad to see your ok
    and
    yes no ice is safe
    Again glad to hear it had safe outcome
    Jeff

Moores Bait

Chris, glad your still with us to fish another day. had to thow another log on the fire, your story gave me the chills.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Glad to hear your all right Chris.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Holy SH#$,glad to hear you are ok!Any frost bite problems today? I bet your heart about jumped out of your chest when you heard the cracking of that ice! I know it does’nt make a difference with the temps and all but I’m curious,what were you wearing at the time,did it hold up and make a difference? Your response could help others in a life or death situation. Again,damn glad to hear that you are fine

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I was wearing my insulated camo duck hunting duds and LaCrosse Iceman boots. everything happened so fast that I didn’t get cold until I was driving back. I can’t thank the guys who pulled me out enough! The truck wasn’t going to stay ther long!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Alot of outdoorsman would probably be dead if it were not for adrenaline!

jhalfen

Chris, I’m so glad to hear that you’re still with us.

birddog
    Mn.

Your lucky. Curious, 1st time going through? Also wondering if you’ll continue to drive on the ice, or is this it? Exactly the reason I won’t drive on the ice, you never know. Glad to hear you made it out safe.

BIRDDOG

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Yup–good to hear you got outta that one in one “live” piece

That was one of those cold snap “traps” you drove into I’ve talked about countless times. I’ve seen 30 plus inches of ice break off in those not so uncommon spots.

Count your blessings!

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

wow…..glad you made it off allright

jldii

Glad to hear you made it out okay. Its strange how those cracks develope along those plowed drifts so often.

BTW, where on the main road did this happen. I saw some water seeping thru last week where road B comes off the main road.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Tuck glad u are OK!! We all want to fish open water but PLEASE wait Stay dry

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Yep, that’s exactly what it was Steve. I drove around some permanent houses to get to the main road. I drove through the drift made by the plow truck like I have done many times. Yes, I will still drive, but only through areas I can see the ice! The bet I made yesterday almost cost me more than I am willing to pay for a limit of perch!

jldii

Then the question needs to be asked………

Did you get into some perch?

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Holy crap – Thank God everything worked out the way it did!

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

holy crap!!! i’m glad your ok to fish another day

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Glad you are still with us Chris!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Then the question needs to be asked………

Did you get into some perch?

A limit. But I cannot resize my pics on the phone. I will have to wait til I get home tonight.

Bob Carlson

what do you need photoshop to in-large them???

just kidding…… no I guess I was’nt

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Josh came over and helped me dry out and visit the good Captain. He was supposed to come over 4 breakfast, but I think he had a

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I posted this in the other forum but that is the worst feeling in the world chris. I something similar happen in 1996
    Feburary 1996 My gramps and me went to mille lacs for a day trip and It was the worst experience in my life. We went out of what was richie’s then. The crena boys ran the service out of there at the time and they were family friends. We went out to 8 mile for the day. They plowed a brand new road for us that morning. there was a good amount of snow on the ice and the night before the road drifted in. anyway we were heading back around 9pm and all the sudden we went through! But only a foot or so. well the ice cracked and flooded the road during the day and froze back over. I made it for about another mile and then we slide against the snow bank, the roads get line a bowling lane with pockets under the windrows. needless to say we were stuck good and there wasn’t a sole around us. I figured we were about 3 miles from shore still and it was something like 15 below with a 30 below wind chill. I left my gramps in the truck as I headed in for help. I honestly didn’t think I was going to make it. I was walking in shin high snow with about 6 inches of water under that. by the time I got in I was soaked and my feet and parts of my face were frozen.
    I got help and we headed out with a plow truck, we didn’t get but a mile from shore and he busted an axle due to the heavy snow. this happened 2 more times! my gramps thought that there was open water or something cause he kept seeing us turn around and go in. well by this time the truck was out of gas and gramps was down to the sunflower for heat. I ended up getting him with a snow mobile and spent the night in tub trying to thaw out. Jimmy Streka(sp?) spent 2 days getting my truck out and cost me about 4 grand!
    That sucked!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

How many did you get?

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

we had 4 eyes a 20 some perch but left them behind and Jimmy tossed them after they were sitting in his heated garage for 2 day

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Sounds like one of the 9 lives came in handy Tuck….

Hope this info somehow prevents others from a similar or worse outcome!

Stay warm!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Chris.. glad you didnt take the plunge and got your truck out!

I guess thats a huge reminder to me why I prefer to take out the wheeler, even on very thick ice. -21, I would have been in the truck too or sitting at home. Those temperatures are dangerous enough without swimming!

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Josh came over and helped me dry out and visit the good Captain. He was supposed to come over 4 breakfast, but I think he had a

Yeah, those captains had me sleeping in this
    morning…

Josh

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Im glad to here you are o.k., your lucky to have made it out alive.

Bob Carlson

I had fun watching fishing shows on the tube!!! I was warm and toasting also!!!

Game on!!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

For Bob…

Thanks for that ruler you gave me…It makes the fish look bigger!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.