Local man dies just out of cove bay

• ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

I have had over 50 calls already this morning about the tragidy, just out of cove bay, But after hearing from so many of you already this morning and having the story grow to 4 people dieing in this Tragidy. I felt that it is only rite that, you should know what I know. I do not have all of the details as of yet, but we do know he was a local guy driving to his fish house after dark out of cove bay, when the truck went down. His brother found him yesterday morning. What a true shame. It does not have to be this way. As I have been saying all season, Be very careful gentelman, no matter where you go out of. We are marginal at best with the ice this year, only having 18 inches. I will keep you updated as soon as we know more. I hate this situation for all of us.

Rock

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Damn shame, ROCK…..

Keep us updated.

-J.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

We appreciate the directness. To bad for the rest if there mad.

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

Terrible thing to hear,best wishes to all.

jldii

Has anyone talked to “puddlepounder” a.k.a. Tom Fellegy lately? He’s a member here, and goes out of Cove all the time. I’d (we’d) like to know that it wasn’t him.

Tom if you see this, post something!

danwilliams1
    Onamia, Mn.

it is not Tom Fellegy……as Rock says it is a local..a young man in his 20s from outside Onamia. Damn shame ….makes me sad. Not for me to post his name IMO.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Dan, Welcome to IDA. Tis’ a shame of your registration under such a sad topic.

danwilliams1
    Onamia, Mn.

“Tis’ a shame of your registration under such a sad topic. “

Agreed…..but thanks. Will catch you on a better thread sometime..

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I think it is about time to listen to ROCKMAN. Here is a guy that is watching out for us, let’s make the rest of this year “incident” free. Never go alone, stay on the roads, listen to what we’re told. I don’t want to attend any fisherman’s funeral this year…

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

That area has been bad all winter. If the county didnt mark that area off, they should have. They blocked off the Isle public access and the Cove access should have been blocked or marked as well.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

I should probably quit preaching about ice safety issues but…

With very little snow on the ice as of now, what I said before the last “cold snap”, will be the scenario to watch out for in coming days according to the forecast. Recall the barrage of wet vehicles on Mille Lacs during last weeks cold snap? Here is what I wrote in a previous posting…before the last cold snap:

“With the cold snap, the ice will split on or around the main crack. No doubt, the bridge is the only sure option…if there is one.

Also, with as much expansion, due to warm temps, of the ice that has taken place since it originally froze, because of the cold snap, one could also see secondary splits/cracks about anywhere. So watch out for “wet” cracks. Things will be RIPE for one of those to break off if not bridged correctly. Just simply pay attention and don’t out drive your icy stopping ability.”

This “cold snap effect” is NEVER not an issue on Mille Lacs. 30″ or more of ice will break off under the weight of a vehicle in these cold snap conditions. “Wet cracks” and the MAIN crack need bridging–no matter how thick the ice is. It’s plenty safe now–IF you drive HOW and WHERE you belong. This open ice driving is NOT good!

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

jldii

One of the roads out of Mac’s Twin Bay to the big gravel had a ice heave develope a day or two ago. The stange thing about the heave is that the road on the other side of it was off to the side more than a couple feet (5-10)! Not only did the ice heave up, but it apparently rotated, or slid to the side, at the same time!!

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

With very little snow cover, the ice will react to temp change MORE so than average winters. (wind has zero effect/cause of ice movement at this time of year) About a ten degree temp swing on or around snow free ice, up OR down, in a 2-4 hour time frame, will create as much as a
    2-3ft. shift of the WHOLE surface of the lake. Simultaneously! Warming will create the “heaves”. Cold snap will create the “splits”. The “heaves” you can see. It’s the “splits” during cold snaps that become traps. The splits can and will happen anywhere. But will usually be within a 1/4 mile of the most recent warm weather heave, if not at the same location. Last week, splits due to the cold snap appeared randomly, crossing the lake in any and all directions.

This coming 7-10 days will see temps range from aroud 30 above to 10 below. Traps will be set…

The young guy who drowned was driving along, possibly a little fast for the light conditions(easy to do), and it is speculated he saw a crack/ridge or the like and tried to avoid it and flipped the truck into it–upside down. Thus–my advice is to NOT out drive your “icy stopping ability”.

‘nuf said on this by Fellegy!

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

jack,
    thanks for thinking of me. i have not driven my truck on the ice this year. i have only used my atv and snowmobile. i have posted in the past of the open water around the point.

kmcquoid

This death was a terrible tragedy. Ice heaves are dangerous every year, not just this year! Please keep your speed down.

Jack mentioned the crack ‘on our roads’ by the gravel at Mac’s. Just to clarify, no vehicle traffic was allowed over that crack. We had only a handful of houses across it, and they were allowed only to walk or snowmobile across, using a small footbridge.

Please everyone, be safe and always check with the resorters. We all care about your safety. Get the truth directly from us:)

Karen
    Mac’s Twin Bay

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I just want to say one thing. The ice never safe. Not just this year, every year. Pressure ridges, cracks, etc. are not new to anyone that has fished Mille Lacs in the past. However, if you go SLOW and watch what you are doing, there is no reason someone should end up on the bottom.

Cove Bay, Mazomonie Pt. – DON’T go there! I have not seen a year when someone hasn’t at least dumped a truck in there. It is bad EVERY SINGLE YEAR.
    Also, yes cracks open, close, shift, heave. If you are not stupid about driving over, around, into, etc. you should have no problem. 99% of the time when you see a vehicle go down it is because someone was chancing it. It happens every year. Just watch where you are going, stay safe, talk to your resort owners, and we will be just fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.