Let’s get back to talking about fishing/Rockman

• ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

1/17/07

Let’s put this messenger thing to rest.

I talked to Kevin this morning. Karen I accept your apology. I do the best job for my patrons, just as you do. I am a lot more leery about the ice than most of you. Remember back in 1990 when the ice took off from shore with 19 people on it. I was in the business for 2 weeks when that happened out of my resort. If it had not been for me and my boat, some of them would not be here now. That is why I use a lot more caution than most. Have a great and safe season out there. I know it is tuff, believe me I do!

Now let’s get down to some serious fishing talk!

I was able to get out yesterday, the day started off at 6:00am and I was fishing by 7:30. I Had 2 bites all day. They all came between 4:00 and 4:30. Thankfully I caught them both. One was 23 inches and the other was 26 inches. Both came on fat heads and pink gamy hook. The shiner bite, has been hit and miss the past 2 weeks. Sucker minnows are working through the night. Keep them small, between 3 and 4 inches long and just 6 inches off the bottom.

There has not been much success with the jig sticks. Most of the fish are coming on dead sticks. The Northern have been cruising off in 20 ft of water, off of the second reef. There were 3 of them caught on Monday, over 36 inches long, with big fat bellies on 6 inch sucker minnows. I am hoping to get some pictures from the guys that hooked into them. The perch bite has been sparatic at best, the past week or so. That bite, will start to turn on in a couple more weeks, and then after the houses come off the lake. I look forward to chasing them big fat belly perch after the season. You are all invited to join me at that time. The more the merrier with the perch hunt. You are able to keep the attention of the school with more guys jigging.

With the cold temps, we will be putting on more ice, every night this week. I have 17 to 17 ½ inches of consistent ice, all the way to the Humps. We should put on another 2 inches of ice by Friday. They are talking some snow tonight and into tomorrow. We could use about 3 to 4 inches now to get some type of road system to follow, other wise people are driving all over the place.

There is nothing worse than, sitting for 5 or 6 hours, just waiting for that twilight bite, when all the sudden someone drives rite past the house within 10 feet of it. Gets out of the truck and proceeds to drill 6 holes, only to see them not fish the holes, but stick the vexlar down, to check the depth. Then they get into their truck and drive away. Man do I want to come unglued or what. But you know, I am a resort owner, and must be very careful where and when to pick my battles. You learn that very well after 18 years in the business. That is what happened to me yesterday at 3:00pm. Nice one guy’s.

That is about it. I must now go and clean the bathrooms on the ice, so that my people, I know that they are not really MY PEOPLE. But I do feel as though I am responsible for them during their stay here and I don’t mind making their stay, just a little more comfortable, with a heated and clean biffy on the ice. That is not, a just above freezing biffy either. We are talking 85 degrees and sunny, biffy, and it smells nice too.

Be safe

Have a great week.

The Rockman

EyeSlayer1
    MG

Thanks for the report ROCKMAN. I’ve had the same experience with numbers last week only all of mine came on spoons and jiggin raps. My only fish on a deadstick was a a 20″ smallie. One thing I noticed is the most active fish are quite a ways off the bottom. I only caught three walleyes but all of them were cruising at least five feet off the bottom. Thankfully, I was paying attention to the flasher and reacted.

I thought it was common sense that you could pour a little water on the ice and get an accurate depth reading with a flasher. I don’t have a chip in the GPS so I get to the approximate area and start walking around checking the depth without drilling holes. Works like a charm as long as you clear the snow off the ice.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Rockman,
    Thanks for the reports, keep them coming.
    for a guy that is a desk for much of the week, these sure pass the time nicely.
    Dan

ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

10/4

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Thanks for the report, Rockman! Much appreciated!

herefishyfishy
    MN

Thanks for the report ROCK. A little h20 on the ice seems to give me a good depth reading. No need for the auger. I will be up maybe the 26th but the third for sure and will stop by and see you. Hope it picks up for all of you.
    Seth Carlson

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.