Myr Mar area

• ole1855

Hi,
    I’m bringing a bunch of guy’s up Fri. morning and I’d like to fish around the Myr Mar area, can anyone give me an idea of what the ice look’s like up there?? I know the pressure ridges usually rule the shoreline out of the public access, so I’m just looking for a recent (Last 2 days) report on the ice.

Thanks

Ole

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Ice out from and around Myr Mar is 11-14 inches and growing slowly the next few days, no doubt. They started driving yesterday–pulling some of the bigger houses.

NO snow on the ice.

With the cold snap, the ice will split on or around the main crack. No doubt, the bridge is the only sure option…if there is one.

Also, with as much expansion, due to warm temps, of the ice that has taken place since it originally froze, because of the cold snap, one could also see secondary splits/cracks about anywhere. So watch out for “wet” cracks. Things will be ripe for one of those to break off if not bridged correctly. Just simply pay attention and don’t out drive your icy stopping ability.

Steve Fellegy

218-678-3103

ole1855

Thanks for the reply Steve, so does Phil have a marked road out of the harbor? Maybe we shouldn’t mess with th PA and go out of there.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

The bridge is in place. After crossing that….I know of nothing marking a “road”. There is zero plowing going on.

Simply…you can NOT safely cross the main crack with anything more than an ATV or sled without a bridge or planks or the like. With the cold snap opening the crack to predictable widths of 12 -24 inches the next few days, ATV wheels could drop in as well–without some form of bridging. I use a 3/4 inch full sheet of plywood for my own ATV bridging.

Steve Fellegy

218-678-3103

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.