Rocky Reef Resort ice conditions/Fishing report

• ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

1/05/06
    It’s already Friday? Where did the week go? Well we have not made any ice since Monday’s post. The water and slush has frozen over completely, adding 2 inches on top to the ice we had. We are now sitting with 12 to 13 inches, but the frozen slush is full of air. Which has a poor tensile strength to it. So we won’t be counting on that in the thickness measurement. I have heard that there are still resorts on the lake that are allowing vehicles out. I am not one of them. I am sorry, but if I have to lose money because of it to the other resorts, so be it. We will wait another week to add some real ice to the 11 and 12 that we now have. I just am not going to risk it with your lives. So once again I must limit the traffic on the lake out of my access, to 4 wheelers and sleds for another week. I just do not trust that the ice can stand up to trucks and cars driving around out on it yet. I do have most of my houses out. Thankfully none of them are over 2500 lbs. We will be keeping a close eye on them for sagging and flooding. I will be taking people out to the houses, and making a few stops out to check on things every couple hours. Still no snow left for banking. Thank god I have plenty of 6 and 8 inch foam cushion strips for the ends to block out the wind and cold. I don’t know what every one else is using, but the foam rubber works slick. The bite has been good the past few days from 7:00 am until 11:00 am for the walleyes in 17 to 22 ft of water on shiners and sucker minnows, small 3 inch ones. The perch bite has still been hit and miss out in 25 to 30 ft pf water on wax worms and jigging spoons. When you find them they are nice 10 to 12 inch and they will come in small schools. So move around to keep up with them. The walleye bite picks up again around 3:30 until 6:00 pm. Then again through out the night you will pick up a few also. Most of the walleyes are from 17 to 25 inches. With a couple of 28 and 29 inch fish already this season. Last year we had 20 some fish over 28 inches come off of the Reef. The weekend looks to be a nice one, so I recommend you come on up and enjoy the tundra for a while. I may even get in a little fishing myself, since I have most of the work of setting up the city done.
    Be safe
    We will see you
    When we see you
    The Rockman

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Rockman,

thanks for the reports on your end of the lake!!

Lets all pray for some colder weather……winter has to show up sometime..don’t ya think!!

foreman
    West Bend, IA

Hey Rockman thanks for the report as well. My friends and i were thinking about taking a trip up there sometime soon because we don’t have any ice down here in Iowa . we were just wondering what it would cost for like 3-4 of us to come up and stay in your houses to fish for 2-3 days. thanks again

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I think next week, just in time for the GTG. BRRR!

ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

GIVE ME A CALL AND I WILL SET IT UP FOR YOU. 320 532 3431
    THANKS
    ROCK

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.