bait

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Am I better off picking up my bait down here in Blaine at Vado’s? or should I get it up at Hunter’s? you can PM if you want. not sure if I get in trouble for this post or not. do not want to rub anybody the wrong way. also baits of choice? besides the go devils

thanks–
    Broncs

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hunters did not sell bait the last time I was there. I suspect it hasn’t changed. I would get your bait before you leave. I plan to have fatheads, euro larva and grubs with me. I’ll be using BrianK’s shiners!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Hunters doesnt sell bait. Get it from Vados. If your perch fishing, get red maggies. For walleyes get some jumbo crappie minnows, fatheads or small shiners. Have the minnows air packed.

Gold or Firetiger Go-devils or Gold Kastmasters have been best.

Chrome jigging raps and Hot Perch Chubby Darters did well on Wed.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

If you take 169 up to the lake you can always stop at Price’s bait in Milaca….They will have everything you need as well!!!

irishjigs

Prince’s does have everything. I try to stop there when I’m heading up…nice guys. I also agree with Derek on the glo-devils…I used the orange/chartuse(sp?) pattern and that worked as well last weekend.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Best bait on Mille Lacs, Johnson’s Portside. 8 miles south of Hunters on Hwy 47. Bait is GUARANTEED to catch fish or die trying…

big g

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

OK, but the quesiotn is who dies first? me or the bait? . I do have the Devils. got the 10 pack, but sounds like I am going to have to get more as my buddy did not get his yet. what is the color suggestion if I only get a card of 1 color? or has any one found singles in the area recently. I have gone the stores mentioned before not to find any.

thanks-
    Broncs.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Hey Kooty are you sure they are shiners? and not painted little perch or sunnies to look like shiner’s?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

If your getting one card. Get Gold !

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok thanks. now for the great dumb question. here are the issues I have with bait…..it dies, I buy to much, never seem to run out. I do use the aeriator from a old fish tank to keep them lively, but the shiners always seem to die no matter what I try to do. the oinly thing I do not kill is the wax/maggots. so for 4 guys for the weekend of the GTG here is what I would think of getting…..probably a 250 or 2 counts of waxes/maggots. 2 scoops fatheads, 2 scoops of crappie, and probably 1 1/2 – 2 dozen shiners. over kill or not enough? We are looking at doing some mobile fishing also if that makes a difference. just hate being over baited, but also want to make sure they stay alive. I know a dumb question .

Broncs

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Sounds like you are a master at baiting already.

I have no secrets other than beating the shiners around in the sled/fishhouse. I would ration how many you travel with. The other baits will not have any problems. That or you run down to portside each morning for fresh shiners. it’s a quick jaunt from Hunters.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Broncosguy,

First off buy your bait near the lake. Then your starting

with the freshest bait possible.

Secondly, make sure everyone has their own bait carrier,

whatever that maybe. Helps to stay mobile.

If your not all stopping to get bait, separate it out

into each persons carrier when you get to the lake or

at your first spot of the day.

I try to keep the shiners seperate from the others.

They’re bigger, need more o2, and its easier to select

the best one if they’re not mixed in with the fatties.

I use the cooler with the locking handle and will bring

an old icecream bucket with a lid on it if I’m going to

be using shiners. You might also want to bring a couple

of extra buckets for your fishing partners.

If you add a little fresh water once in a while and take

out the floaters, you should have no problem keeping your

bait lively all weekend without an aerator.

Good Luck,

Dan

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Tanks Dan. that does help for the mobility issue. But it is the over night that in the morning. I got maybe 1 or 2 shiners left.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Keep your bait outside at night. We store our minnows in a insulated 5 gallon pail. No bubblers or anything. The key is keeping the water cold. You shouldnt lose any. I only by from Vados. They really take good care of thier bait and they sell so much of it, its always fresh. Shiners will live for two days in a air bag if kept cold.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

If your getting one card. Get Gold !

Derek,

Do the gold ones glow as well? Haven’t seen one yet.

Thanks,

Dan

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

I think that is the issue no matter what. I have kept them inside all the time . thanks Derek I owe you one. let me guess…… at Hunter’s in about 2 weeks is when you will collect right>

Broncs

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Thorne bros carries go devils.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

I think that is the issue no matter what. I have kept them inside all the time . thanks Derek I owe you one. let me guess…… at Hunter’s in about 2 weeks is when you will collect right>

Broncs

Dan, they do not glow but have a red eye with red hooks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.