Don’t drive any vehicles only 4 wheelers or sleds

• ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

My expert opinion is:
    Do not drive on lake Mille Lacs with any vehicle, large or small. Stick to the 4 wheelers and sleds until we get some cold weather to strengthen the ice we have and add a few more inches. If you put traffic on the lake now, with the ice only at 11 to 12 inches it will not support that kind of traffic. It will fracture and someone will end up in the water. I know that a few of you will go against my better judgement and drive anyway, but at least I have given you my 2 cents worth on the issue. No one will be driving out of Rocky Reef with any vehicles other than 4 wheelers and sleds until we get some cold weather. Sometimes it is not just about the money, when peoples lives are at stake.
    The Rockman

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

very very very good point
    the cold of winter will come and as my grandpa used to say to me “patience is the name of the game”

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Great advice for any body of water right now. Better safe than sorry. No fish is worth losing your life.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Amen to that ROCKMAN…. Now if only everyone will read this even outside the site… Too many times I have been out fishing on some unsafe ice and some IDIOT not only endangers his own life but wants to bring my life in the same threat by driving 8 feet away from my house while I am in fishing. This is not exaggerating either anybody that fishes Buffalo lake know exactly what I am talking about.. Couple years back ice was fine for wheelers and sleds and that was what I went out on parked my sled 15 feet away from the house and had a FULL sized truck drive between my sled and my house.. Yes I said in between….
    Long story short no longer fish Buffalo miss the crappie bite but my life is worth more then a day fishing..

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Sound advice!!!!!! It’s too bad some on the east side are gambling. And now the crew at Barnacles is giving a false impression of driving safety on that 9-12 inches.

The big sheet of ice has been expanding for weeks now. If we get a single digit temp period, yes more ice will be made and wider than usual “contraction” cracks will form. That cold snap will help…and could very well be the most dangerous part of the winter for anyone driving cross country.

Listen to John!! He’s right on!

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hunters Point is holding off letting people drive also. I think atv and sleds are ok for now till we get a good snap to add some depth to the ice. Now days most people have either a sled or atv anyhow.

good advise

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The 2″ of fresh snow helps for the sled!

Tim
    Rochester MN

Good advice. I have my private house at an unnamed resort on the west side. Nice people but I am now questioning there knowledge of safe ice. I understand that a resort would need to use a truck to get sleepers out. Limmited access is understanable but to allow the public on and tell them it is safe is stupid. I spent the night in th shack last night and the ice was growing every tiem a vechicle drove with in 300 yards. Can the DNR do any thing to stop this. It the start of the season ther is no reason a person can walk a 1/2 mile to there shack. I did pulley two sleds behind. Any advice?

Thanks

Tim
    Rochester MN

I would love to do that. I will give you a call. Whats the bes time to brginit down spring? I have a 8×20 pretty lite but hauling it is always fun.

Thanks

Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.