equipment question

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Just curious as to what poeple normally put on the rods for line that they use and the pound. My question is for what the normal guy would use up there. As I know we all can spend lots of money on rod and reel combinations and such,(the high end rods). my question is geared for what the avid….not advanced ice fisherman uses. Curious about the middle of the pack rods, is there a difference in lines. I am wondering what types of rod and line combination they use on the Pond for eyes and perch and such? ultra light. light and so on. If that makes sense. And the dumbest question of all…..how are/what are teh differences in how you fishthe line and set the hook and such.

thanks-
    Broncs

walleye_mike
    Plymouth, MN

If you’re in the metro area go check out Thorne Bros store in Fridley. They can set you up with the best quality equipment for what you’re looking to spend.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have a couple berkley lightning ice rods…I think they were about $20 each, I picked up a couple ice reels for $15 each that work great.
    They are the 2 rods I use the most for walleyes but I do have some others in the rod bag as back ups.

This year I am trying 2 rods with the Powerpro Ice (2-10) line with flourocarbon leaders but all my other rods are plain old Trilene XL 6 pound in low vis green.
    The XL has worked great for me but I used powerpro this summer and liked it so we will see how ice fishing with it goes.
    JB

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok. I looked at my rods last night and I have 4 that will work for the perch, but I have a Berley ultra light rod, and a ultra light graphite rod also (forgot the name ) spooled with 4 and 6 pound MIcro Ice I think. can not remember what I put on 2 weeks ago. is taht going to work for the eyes or do I need a stronger line? 1 has the small country mile open face adn the other is a shimano open face. Just trying to figure out how to word to the FW that I need more fishing rods for the ice fishing since I already have 6.

thanks-
    Broncs

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The Micro Ice will work inside a shack. Its worthless fishing outside if there is a wind chill. It sucks up water like a sponge and freezes up your rod tip and guides.

I like 2 pound P-line for perch and 5 pound for walleyes.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

P-line for me too.

4 and 6 pound.

It’s tough to beat the Thorne bros. Sweetheart rods for perch and walleyes.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

all my other rods are plain old Trilene XL 6 pound in low vis green.

Mee too. 4lb for perch, 6lb for eyes.

-J.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok. sorry to ask but waht is 2 pound P-line .

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

P-line is a brand of line. You can find it in small spools where you would find the ice lines. It comes in 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 8 pound test.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok thanks. I figured it would be a easy answer.
    Now what color line whould a person use on Mille Lacs?
    and what is a good one for both inside and outside the house?
    thinking of restringing again before the GTG

thanks-
    Broncs.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Generally Mille lacs is a clear lake. Florocarbon lines like P-line seem to work very well. Florocarbon blends in with the water and is almost invisible. If using superline or a brain like Micro Ice, I will use a piece of Florocarbon as a leader.

Florocarbon works well both inside and outside.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I barely ever fish in the house….it is just along for the sled to pull my gear out. I haven’t had any troubles with the 6# XL. The Low Vis green has worked well for me on Mille Lacs in the winter. Actually the low vis green is my go to line for walleye fishing no matter where I am….except the river…then it is power pro.
    JB

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Look at the fish in this thread, most were caught on 4 lbs. fluorocarbon. My son and I were using the St. Croix 32″ medium power with the reel combo. Only $35 seems fair to me. I was happy with how the combo performed.

This is what works for us and have not had any failures.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Derek,
    I see you noted that P Line for out side and Micro Ice for inside a house. Is it safe to assume the P line is just fine for inside? or should I have 2 P line and 2 Micro Ice?

thanks-
    Broncs

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.