Rockman’s Report/Ice conditions

• ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

12/10/06
    Walked out this morning to check the ice thickness. It is at 6 to 7 inches for a ½ mile out. That was farther than I really wanted to walk without going fishing too, but there is plenty of time for that. I did find a spot out where the ice had blown back in last wed afternoon. Just beyond that, the newly formed ice was only 3 inches. That is what is so very spooky about this time of the year. Inconsistent ice!

There were a few people out on 4 wheelers and to my amazement; they were driving around after dark. It seems like no matter how many times I say it; there are always some people who must push the envelope and do really crazy things. They will find out some day that it was not such a great idea to get out too early. I had 50 people stop in this weekend to ask about going out of my access with their 4 wheelers.

Not today. I told them the same thing I’m telling you. It is not safe enough out there yet. So what do they do? They go down the road and access from the shoreline. What can I say, I tried. They were driving around in circles for over an hour after dark before they could find a way off, and where was that might you ask? My access of course. It is the only spot along this shore line that hasn’t pushed up.

The ice had pushed up along the shoreline during the day and I think they were lost. Next weekend will be better for the 3 and 4 wheelers. With the warm temps coming all week, we will not be putting on much ice. Guys, pull back on the reins just a little bit. I do not want to see anyone lose their lives over a dam fish.

As my grandmother us to say to me; Johnni, slow down you move to fast. I also say the same to you all. The ice will come, lets just let it happen, or else. Mother Nature will not give you too many chances to escape her grasp out on the big pond.

Be very, very, very safe. Even if some resort owner says go ahead with your 4 wheelers this coming week. I would think very hard on it. I will not be one of them to say that until I know it is as safe as I can make it. I have been doing this ice thing for 18 yrs now and I think I know what I am talking about!

We will see you this weekend with the smaller 3 and 4 wheelers or a snowmobile, or just plan on walking out. You do not have to walk more than a quarter to half mile out to get to good fishing spots in front.

The Rockman

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks Rock,, anyone fishing Wiggys yet?

ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

Derek
    I have 8 in the freezer from last night, just out in front of the resort in 16 ft of water. They were all brothers in the 17 inch range on fat heads and a green gamy hook. Went out with the 4 wheeler just about 3 o’clock, I was done by 5:30.
    Rock

endoe

Rockman
    Hope to stop in this weekend and visit ya’s.
    How far would I have to walk for some eye’s?
    Don’t really want to haul the sleds this trip.
    Endoe

ROCKMAN
    Mille Lacs

Gentelmen
    Got out on the ice by 6:30 am and was in by 9:30am yesterday. I walked out about 1/2 mile and Caught 4 walleyes from 17 to 19 inches and some dam nice perch too. 12 of them that I kept. 10 to 11 inches with a lot of 8 to 9 inchers and they were hungry.

It was hard to keep a line down long enough for the walleyes to have a chance at the bait. It should be a great year for the perch if the walleyes decide not to bite all through the season. The ice is still at 7 inches max on my side of the main lake.

I did see some crazy man out in vineland bay after the sun was up, with a full sized pick up and a ultra shack in tow. Don’t even think about doing any of that yet boys. Safty first, fun second.
    Have a great week and we will see you this weekend.

The Rockman

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Rockman, How is the ice holding up today? Noticed other resorts are not letting people on due to water and deteriorating ice.

Let me know. I was hoping to make it to your place this weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.