Trolling Question…Is a Kicker a luxury

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks to a IDA Staffer who shall remain Ripper, I did get to try a pro kicker. And I have used many T-8’s. I prefer the T-8’s for the smoothness and power over any other kicker out there. More power, and much smoother. Not a big fan of the shifter on the throttle with the Merc. It is however a matter of preference as both motors are very nice. The T-8 comes in a very nice shade of grey however!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I ran my buddy Daves off and on last week on the pond and last spring some. It’s a good kicker. I would have to say as good as the T8. He has a revving issue occasionally, but it’s just about broke in enough now that the problem rarely happens. The major difference to me is the gear engagement style. I’m not sure if I like the gear shift better on the T8 or Pro Kicker. One feature that completely rocks on the Pro is the centering straps. I’m still trying to figure out how I’m gonna jimmy rig my T8 with a set of straps.

jesse
    mn

I was the biggest skeptic when it came to the T8’s. That is until I bought one. If price is a factor, start with an older two stroke. I ran a 1984 15hp 2 stroke long shaft on my lund pro v. Paid 700 with controls to run from the driver’s seat. I then went to a 2000 merc 15 4 stroke (came with the boat i bought) A huge difference bewtween two and four stroke (get the four when its feasible) Problem with the merc 15 was it wouldn’t troll a 3000 pound boat (18 foot tyee i/o) slow enough for some situations without a prop change. I then went to a 19 foot pro v ifs with a T8. With the T8 you can make that boat do whatever you need in any condition present.

So the biggest skeptic, joined the others as the biggest fan. They are awesome.

Kickers are not a luxury to me anymore they are a must. I once hit a rock taking out the lower unit on my main motor . The kicker took us 11 miles back to the houseboat. So they are a savior when disaster strikes as well. Good luck

WalleyeDave

I’ve had Merc 4-strokes since 1998 and can’t say enough good things about them. I don’t have anything bad to say about T-8s either …… although Kooty borrowed a wrench from me to get his T-8 running again and it took a year for him to return the wrench. I’m not sure what that says about Kooty or what that says about T-8s

One thing I REALLY like about Merc is the twist-grip shifting. It might take a little bit to get used to, but it’s true one-handed operation and is REALLY NICE. I like having a 30″ extension handle on the motor and being able to shift without bending over or reaching back by the motor.

In mid-summer I do a lot of vertical jigging on deep mid-lake reefs and use my kicker to slip around in the wind and hold my position over the fish I graph. The twist-grip shift and extension handle is ideal for slipping in and out of gear, giving the motor a little goose to speed you up or stop you, etc. I wouldn’t want any other kind of shifting for that situation.

I don’t think you could go wrong with a Pro Kicker or a T-8.

sonicstick
    MN, USA

To kick it up another notch so to speak, take a look at the Trollmaster. You can “dial” in your speed. Comes with an Idle and Full throttle boost. What it does is puts a servo (RC cars/planes type) into the throttle linkage. This enables you to fine tune the increments it pushes the throttle linkage. I thought they go for around $200.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

In mid-summer I do a lot of vertical jigging on deep mid-lake reefs and use my kicker to slip around in the wind and hold my position over the fish I graph. The twist-grip shift and extension handle is ideal for slipping in and out of gear, giving the motor a little goose to speed you up or stop you, etc. I wouldn’t want any other kind of shifting for that situation.

Exactly, I also use my Pro Kickcer to Back Troll/Rig with an extension handle and it is awesome. Like you said you are able to “slip around” and having the ability to shift in to nuetral or forwards/ or reverse at the flip of the wrist is vital for me to keep precise speeds and boat control, which puts more fish into the boat. Not having to bend down and shift the boat like on the the other kickers. When backtrolling, I can’t tell you how many times I would have to bend over and break my back just to slip it into nuetral and then bend over agian to flip it back into reverse if I had a T-8. I know this may not be a big issue to some, but a definite “Deal or Back” breaker for me.

Like I said before, both the T-8 and Pro Kicker are by far the best on the market, it just depends on what your needs are and to each their own I guess.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I know you are a scrawny little runt, but you need to hit the gym if putting a T8 in and out of gear hurts your back. GIRL!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Probably cause I stand when rigging (ask Cal). If I had to bend over a everytime I had to shift in and out of gear, I would not be fishing that method or would get lazy and not be at the right speed or location to optimize my fish catching. Therefore,(each there own part) I prefer my Mercury Pro Kicker with the shif tin the grip handle over that Yammy T-8.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.