Full moon!!! Where’s the reports?

• fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I’m suprised there haven’t been any full moon reports yet. How did the weekend go guys?

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

I was thinking the same thing

Anybody

Ripper

big_g
    Isle, MN

when I drove along the lake, the rollers were looking pretty big… I spent the weekend building a cabin, much safer than being on the big water. I do know some of them got out though….

big g

chappy
    Hastings, MN

????
    Look at post “10-7”
    “Even Rootski…..”

Were not the big guy’s,But we were there!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Everyone up there are hooking fish. Fish are being caught on weeds, rocks, and sandy shorelines.

Folks are long-lining Husky Jerks, Rogues, Salmos, Shad raps, floating raps, Yozuri, etc.

Good colors all pend on the mood of the fish. Sometimes they want white, then clown, then perch, then red craw, then rainbow.

The fish seemed to be quite moody the past couple of days, making you work on dialing them in. But they are chomping!

Lots of slot fish.
    Lots of fish from 22″-25″
    And a few fish pushing 26″ to 29″

Perch are going strong too, on a jig and crappie minnow. Many found shallow on the south end.

Someone said James’ boat reeled in a 10lber. That is the biggest I heard.

Some IDA staffers stopped in to launch/stay at Fisherman’s Warf. Sounds like a couple of guys brought in a 52lb muskie and released it. Yes, a 52 pound muskie, not 52″. Didn’t get anymore details other than that. My assumption is that they brought it in for an offical weight prior to release. Probably to see if they broke the state record or not. That is a HUGE accomplishment!!!!

The bit should go strong all month. It is early and water temps are mid-50s. The bite is sporatic up there, with times of running up to 2 hours of no fish is common amongst many, many boaters as heard on the radio. If you go, stick it out!!! A lot of people bailed off the lake at 10pm because of the slow bite. Sometimes the bite doesn’t pick up strong until 10 or midnight. Also, if the bite is slow, keep working different baits until you find what the fish want.

Most fish are coming from 1.5 to 2mph……….Although I caught a nice big slot fish while cranking in a stick bait to change up. I was burning the bait at about 6mph and wham! Fish on! That was 40 feet behind the boat!!! Go figure!

Most of the cranks are being ran from 75 to 150 feet behind the boat. Depends again on where you fish.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Yep, what Gary said.

Stick it out. Friday night they started for us around 11 p.m. Stayed out till 3 a.m. with 2 limits in the box.

brent07
    Preston, MN

Gary is right about that musky at the wharf. I have a ice house there and they brought it in for weight. Had to swim that big thing back out into the water because it was so tired from the fight. They waded out into the water and got her back to life. That IS a TRUE sportsman…that water is cold

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I think this is the muskie Gary was referring to. 54″ length x 28″ girth.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

One more pic.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

HOLY CRAP!

What are the details?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Holy alfjaofadfnaogihj!!!!!!

What a beast!!!!!!

heimdawg

Another reason not to be in a small boat on Mille Lacs. Good God.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Trig!
    I dare ya to go swimming out there!

birddog
    Mn.

Gary hit it righ on…I was up from Wed.-Sun. water temps are a tad warm yet hanging around 56, they would drop into the 55’s through the night, then rise right back up during the day. I’m sure they’re dropping and staying now though! We put alot of fish in the boat from 22″-27″, just no piggies. Guys are catching them just not taking pics of those 25-27″ fish like they were the last few seasons. Pretty sad when we slide 6-8lb fish back without a thought of pics, we’ve been spoiled!! But, how many pics does one need of those cookie cutters? Like I said, those water temps are surely dropping below 55 now, the bite will only get better for bigger fish from here on out. I’m sure I could be talked into taking a run up there this week, I have a feeling with the talk of snow and COLD temps this week the bite will go bananas

BIRDDOG

heimdawg

Quote:

Hey Trig!
    I dare ya to go swimming out there!

I’ll pass. But I have a cat that might be up for a swim.

Bob Bowman
    MN

WOW …What a TANK!!!!!

adamj

We were also at the wharf this weekend. We managed to some how get our boat through the channel, man that thing is shallow this weekend. We also managed some nice fish friday night the largest being a 27″. We only fished for two hours until the wife got sick, I mean she turned green. The wind was a huge factor this weekend on that side of the lake. Clown color husky jerks size 12 was hands down the winner this weekend for us with chrome and black a close second. I would love to get back this week for an evening but I wonder with the huge cold front and flurries wed and thurs how this will effect the fishing? All in all it was another great weekend on the pond

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

WOW!!! What a beast. That gal is big. Bet Gary is chomping on the bit to get out there after muskies now.
    Thanks, Bill

Bruce Bombard
    Forest Lake/Wahkon MN

Yes again to that. The bite has been real good , but you need to do some home work and stay out late. Try different depths colors and stiles. Rouges in chrome or chrome/blue,blk,or craw did most of my work. My Son Cory was a die hard and a bit stuburn, He stuck to only Fire Tiger, the only changes he would do was if we were fishing shallower 4′ + –
    he would change to a floater but stayed with the fire tiger color. He did very well. Here is one of his ” how about this one ” Does it get any better, Maybe, but we sure like it now.

KHines

We got out about 3 PM on Saturday. Were going to troll for some musky prior to the night bite. To rough. Fished the west side. Lots of boats. We started out in 7-10 feet of water and couldn’t get a fish. Changed colors, speeds, and baits. Finally moved into 4-6 feet of water at about 9:30. Had a 27 in 10 minutes. Then things slowed down. I started switching baits again. Ended up with fire tiger berkley frenzy minnows. The bite was really starting to go at about 1 AM. Filled the box and left about 2:30. Ended with 2 throw backs (27 and 28) and 2 limits between 16-19. You definately had to pay attention with all the boats. Thankfully the moon was bright.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Wow!!! What an absolute beast. I’d like the story on that!!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Must have been one of Jonesi’s personal “boat” best?

eyefishing

Well… it might be because some of the fellas that normally catch lots of big walleyes didn’t want to talk about it and are still licking there wounds. There are plenty of 18″-24″ fish bitting though and an occasional 26-28. Not much to brag about by Mille Lacs standards. You know it was a tough go when the longest post has a picture of a musky on it. Gotta bop those rough fish on the head and send em floatin when you catch them.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Quote:

Well… it might be because some of the fellas that normally catch lots of big walleyes didn’t want to talk about it and are still licking there wounds. There are plenty of 18″-24″ fish bitting though and an occasional 26-28. Not much to brag about by Mille Lacs standards. You know it was a tough go when the longest post has a picture of a musky on it. Gotta bop those rough fish on the head and send em floatin when you catch them.

Well for one, the quality of fishing has not changed . Unfortunately the weather always is! Many of the anglers usual haunts have been harboring nasty wind and keeping the fisherman out. Many of the past weekend’s anglers found themselves in southern areas of the lake avoiding the wind at best. For the angler that is only interested in filling his livewell, The southend of the lake holds home to a noteworthy larger population of slot and smaller fish. That is just fact and is proven. For he who seeks trophy walleye, can’t be secluded to the southern quarter of the lake.
    I know everyone at Hunters this weekend did not go hungry from fresh walleye! I think we’re all still readjusting to our loss of sleep .

The only wounds I have are from gills and dorsal fins in my hands

schlankki
    otsego, mn

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW what a nice looking fish and health. wheres my cat fluffy. I know in the belly of huge muskie.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

GReat looking Muskie,
    Congrats.
    Jack..

jldii

Quote:

Quote:

Well for one, the quality of fishing has not changed . Unfortunately the weather always is! Many of the anglers usual haunts have been harboring nasty wind and keeping the fisherman out. Many of the past weekend’s anglers found themselves in southern areas of the lake avoiding the wind at best. For the angler that is only interested in filling his livewell, The southend of the lake holds home to a noteworthy larger population of slot and smaller fish. That is just fact and is proven. For he who seeks trophy walleye, can’t be secluded to the southern quarter of the lake.
    I know everyone at Hunters this weekend did not go hungry from fresh walleye! I think we’re all still readjusting to our loss of sleep .

The only wounds I have are from gills and dorsal fins in my hands

You’re pretty much right on about the south end of the lake holding a large number of slots. It always has and always will. The biggest problem with making contact with “larger” fish down there isn’t so much that there are fewer of them, which I don’t believe to be so, but that there are soooo many more pieces of structure for those fish to feed on. Having your bait on the right place at the same time the fish is there is a bit more difficult.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I don’t know how to read this? Are you stating that the muskies are killing the big walleyes? And because of it, you have to kill them?

To kill muskies because a person thinks they are killing the walleyes is an uneducated act.

I will also stress that it is an illegal act, called WANTON WASTE. Punishable by fine given by the DNR.

I don’t know if I should be mad or sad over hearing that people still, still are blamming muskies for eating fish. It is the most uneducated, blanket statement I’ve ever heard in the fishing industry.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Cal with nicely posed walter

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.