8/28 Mille Lacs Crankbait Report

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

On Monday I got the opportunity to take out a client of mine along with one of his friends. The goal was to fish deep diving crankbaits via planer boards out in the open water in the afternoon and migrate to the shallows at evening.

My last couple of trips out, I certainly noticed on my X-15 the decline in the number of baitfish and arcs that are cruising around in the open water. Obviously, one reason is the fish are starting their fall patterns and migrating to shallower structure. I also think maybe another reason is that a lot of tullibees died off this summer and maybe their is a lack of baitfish out there in the open water for those big walleyes to feed on.

Regardless, I wanted to find out if there were any big girls left out there and if they were willing to fall victim to a deep tail dancer or a deep thunderstick.

It didn’t take too long to find out and we had our first hit- leadcore – Deep Tail Dancer. Scott grabbed the rod and we quickly boated a decent 24.5 incher. Nice start guys!

And then an hour or so went by and nothing. I was starting to think maybe we need to change things up a bit. However, that soon changed when suddenly the starboard planer got a hit (fire tiger-deep thunderstick) and this time it was Jim’s turn!

As soon as we got the board off, BANG – the leadcore rod goes off again and we had our first double of the day!

Both fish ended up coming to the boat about the same time. With some great teamwork we were fortunate enough to land both fish – identical 26 inchers! Nice double guys!

And then another lull in the action…. Just when you think you got them figured out. We finally decided to search for some better sign. After cruising and stopping for about 3 miles. I found what I was looking for and we set up again. As soon as we got the last rod down – bang – a hit on the starboard side – deep thunderstick strikes again and we had our first eater in the livewell. About a half hour later – bang another 24 inch walleye falls victim to the deep tail dancer – bleeding tiger.

As the sun set, we slowly worked our way to shallower water eventually ending up in 16 feet of water. We had to adjust our lines accordingly so that our cranks would not bottom out. Then things got a little crazy. Within a short period of time, we ended up boating another 6 fish with 4 being between 22- 25 inches. Two of these fish were caught very close to the surface when we were cranking in our baits checking our cranks for debris. One rod only had 10 feet of line out! Hmmm….. think the fall pattern is starting to happen….

It was now pitch black and we were had to rely on the sound of our clickers because the boards were no longer visible. When all of a sudden there was a big hit on the leadcore again! No doubt about this one! Jim grabbed the rod and the fight was on. The fish made a couple of runs and then kind of hunkered down. It was not the typical fight for a walleye. Soon we found out why! It was a big pike feeding at night! Once that fish saw the boat she decided that was not for her! After a couple of more runs and we finally netted this girl. Nice Bonus Fish Jim! We quickly snapped a picture and released her to be caught again.

We ended the night catching 10 eyes all falling victim to deep tail dancers and deep thundersticks. Thanks Jim and Scott for a memorable night on the water. And Tina too – for tagging along so we could get another line out!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Check out this sunset pic of Scott along with a nice eye!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Another one in the dark!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Jim with a big pike at night!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Beautiful Sun set! except for one thing…

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Much Better! Im just giving you guys some grief Nice pics and a good report even though i didn’t read it “don’t need tips for walleyes im da masta for the big eyes

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Great report Grifter!! Awesome pics, you sure have it dialed in again this year!!

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Awesome pics and report!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ZoomHog1
    LaCrosse, WI USA

i like the picture improvement

WalleyeDave

Great reports, have really enjoyed reading them.

I have a question though. Why are you running leadcore if you’re using deep taildancers and deep thundersticks — won’t those baits go deep enough on their own on flatlines? Or is there some other reason you’re using leadcore?

I don’t use leadcore very often, only when I want to get my baits down deeper. I’m wondering if I’m missing out on something? Thanks.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Much Better! Im just giving you guys some grief Nice pics and a good report even though i didn’t read it “don’t need tips for walleyes im da masta for the big eyes

BassKing27 – Nice editing job! What’s a bass fisherman like you reading walleye reports? Is it a little slow out there for ya?

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

WalleyeDave – I’ve experimented a lot this year with leadcore using short leaders, long leaders both braided and mono line. What has worked for me this year is long mono leaders. I use 50′ mono leaders (10 lb test) and then put out around 3 colors of 18 lb leadcore.

Yes – the deep thundersticks and deep tail dancers will run down deep as well (around 28 feet deep using braided line) and catch fish. However, they lose a little depth when it comes to mono due to the line density and the S curve stretch factor. Leadcore assures me I can get them down there as deep as I want and I also believe that the crankbait may act a little different down there with mono(especially when big waves are splashing into your boat) versus braided line with no stretch. Some days this has been the hot rod even though I have the same crank tied on a braided line long lining rod. Bottom line – it is working for me well this year.

millelacsrealtor
    Blaine, MN

Great report and pictures. If you keep talking like this you’ll soon have me off the bass forum and out trolling. What do you think?

MLR

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Great report and pictures. If you keep talking like this you’ll soon have me off the bass forum and out trolling. What do you think?

MLR

I don’t think that will happen as long as you keep catching those big smallies out there!

Or how about hooking up together for a full day on the pond chasing smallies and walleyes! And if you want, we could try catching one of those toothy critters too… Ah…. fall is a good time to be on the water….

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

nice fish. I will be out over the weekend looking for some of this action.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

nope i acctualy caught my limit yesterday. I figured i have Bass fishing down good right now i could help the walleye guys figure out how to catch some fish ill be on the water tomorrow with an open seat chasing greenies if you’ld like to join me

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Absolutely awesome report Brad!

When everyone else had given up on the trolling open water thing there you are.

That picture with Scott and the Sunset is awesome. Truly a unique picture. Looks like the sky was on fire. Or perhaps that was your boat that was on fire with all the eyes !

WalleyeDave

Sounds good, don’t mess with what’s working. I either pull all leadcore or no leadcore, I’ll have to keep this info in mind and try running lead at the same time I’m pulling other lines too. Thanks for the info.

I don’t have my Precision Trolling book handy, but I’d figure the lead has you down 15 feet and the 50 foot leader with those baits has you down maybe another 12-15 feet. Does that sound right to you?

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Grifter,

Are you using boards with your leadcore rods or just hanging them out the back? I’m just curious because it sure seemed like the fish wanted the bait further away from the boat this summer, even more so than past years.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Grifter,

Are you using boards with your leadcore rods or just hanging them out the back?

This year I experimented more using boards with leadcore and had good results. The best set up for me when using deep diving crankbaits (Deep Tail Dancers) was to only spool on 3 colors of leadcore on my reel. I would have a 30-50′ leader, 3 colors of leadcore and then some mono backing. That way I wasn’t hooking my board to the leadcore line and there’s no reason to have more leadcore spooled on my reel.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.