Top Water Smallmouth

• millelacsrealtor
    Blaine, MN

Hi all,

After looking at cabins for years on Mille Lacs I finally made the purchase and will be participating in the forums as I spend more time on the pond, as you call it.

I’m not much of a troller so the idea of catching smallmouth entrigued me. We started with tube jigging and have done fairly well with them catching consistant bass on various rock piles in the SE. We’ve learned quite a bit and have begun to concentrate on big rocks and on the edge of the reef.

On Sunday it was less than consistant and we spent a good three hours jigging on a still evening with one 13″ bass. My son had been begging to use the Ribbit Frog for weeks but I never gave in as I heard that the tubes were the way to go. But today I gave in, ofcourse my son wasn’t there.

We moved to reef off of the Father Hennepin Beach, the one further out. Pulled up to the side of the biggest rocks and threw over top. About 3 reels of my spinning rod and wham, we landed a 19″ smallie. Second cast I got another really good bite, but it got off. 5 casts later I saw a swirl over my shoulder in the opposite direction and I threw over it. Instantly my pole went down and then out came a big one about 1.5′ over the water. This one was 20.5″. About 5 more casts and I brought in another 18 incher.

The only disappointment was my 6 year old wasn’t there to catch them on the frogs.

I look forward to participating in the forums.

Take care,

MLR

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Welcome to IDA MLR . Great report! sounds like a blast to bad the little guy couldn’t have gotten in on the action. Maybe next time

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Welcome to the site Brad! And nice to see you with that smallie in your hands!

Next time I want Jack holding it!

And congratulations on your Mille Lacs cabin purchase. Does that mean I even have a place to crash?

Fellow IDA’ers – if your looking to buy or sell a home send a PM to Brad. I’ve known him for many years and he’s a class act! He’s currently helping me find my next home and I couldn’t ask for a better realtor and friend.

Welcome to the site again Brad and we look forward to hearing more reports from you as you now get to spend more time on the big pond!

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

Those are some very nice smallies

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome to the site Brad!

Nice fish!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Welcome to IDA,
    nice report, and great Smallies.
    looking for more reports…
    Jack..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Welcome aboard Brad!
    Where is the cabin located?

micah-witham
    Richfield

welcome to the site…hope you enjoy it half as much as I do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.