Smallie Report

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Well its seems like forever since I have been able to get back up to the “pond”.
    I had an open seat, posted it and had no takers so I went alone.
    I fished hard at first, working my usual spots. I had a dozen or so in the boat in a couple hours. I caught most of these on 3.5 inch tubes. Color did not seem to matter as much as letting the bait sit still for what seemed like an eternity. Line watching was a must for this type of fishing. The slightest twitch or movement and you need to set the hook fast and hard.
    Then I started thinking what a great chance this was to find some other areas and not waste anybody else’s time on the water. I am always curious about finding other areas to fish as the wind on Mille Lacs can and will predict were one fishes. The last thing you want is to fish the windy side because you lose feel with plastics and when in 10 feet of water or less with large rocks things can get ugly in a hurry if something goes wrong.
    I found a lot of new water that looked promising and even found some fish that James and Blue did not catch. My total for the day was 21 smallie, biggest was 20.25, and even one walleye, a 16 incher. The walleye was caught on a 5 inch plastic worm. I caught bass on other baits as well senkos, worms, spinnerbaits and zara spook jr.
    I took one picture of a Loon and her babies and then my camera decided to stop working. So no pictures

Ron

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Ron,
    very nice day you had I must say, congrats.
    would sure have loved to see a pic of the piggy 20+ WOW.
    way to go. So now we have to even carry a SPARE camera too???
    I have not been there since our trip. Very big mistake on my part, but unavoidable this month, But June is over.
    Jack..

Owen

Great report, Slider. I was up on Thursday, but it took me a while to figure out what you already knew: they wanted plastics sitting on the bottom. Tubes, grubs, or Senkos, they had to settle to the bottom before we’d get bit. We only had a couple bites on faster, horizontal approaches. Seemed like a mix of bigger fish still recovering from the spawn and lots of tough, fat 14-15″ fish. I cannot recall ever catching so many bass under 16″ on ML, but it’s nice to see the lake is producing plenty of piggies fo rthe future.

My buddy did land a nice 21.75″ fish that almost got attacked by a 45″ muskie at the side of the boat. The muskie kept circling the smallie as we were trying to bring it to the net – where’s my camcorder!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

My buddy did land a nice 21.75″ fish that almost got attacked by a 45″ muskie at the side of the boat. The muskie kept circling the smallie as we were trying to bring it to the net – where’s my camcorder!

Great Fish
    I would love to have seen that muskies actions.

Ron

micah-witham
    Richfield

we’ve had muskies hit smallmouth on the st. croix before after they were hooked. man is that a trip to see a muskie attack a 15 inch fish. poor little bugger.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.