So my wife asks me….

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

On my way home from Cabelas today, my wife asks me, “Why do you keep buying so many lures??” I tell her not just lures, but specifically crankbaits. I hear the dull silence in the phone, hoping it will pass and we move on to the next subject. Nope. She says, don’t you have all the colors? I say nope, just got started really. The last two years I’ve really improved my crankbait selection. However, there are lots of kinds that work at different times of the year. And you never know what color will work, so you gotta have them all….times 2. Why 2?? In case you lose one or if your buddy fishing with you needs one.

She says I’m crazy, what do you guys think??? I’m guessing my crankbait selection is rather modest compared to most you.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My gal would say something like, why didnt you go to Fleet Farm you dumb

I dont think you can have enough cranks. So many styles and not to mention losing a few. Now I get Salmo in the mail. And I get home before she does..

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ve had the same conversation……. I’ve gotten around it for now by telling her that I limit myself to one lure per visit to FF. I just go to FF more often than I used to…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

My wife just read your post Kooty. To which she responds, “I don’t tell you that anymore….I just suggest you open your own baitshop with the stuff you already have…”

Women, you can’t live with’em…………..pass the beer nuts…

emover
    Malcom, IA

and a good reply to the question about enough fishing ….
    is – Don’t you think you have enough scrapbooking….

don’t bogart the beer nuts

dave

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Kooty that is a normal bi-weekly conversation at the Lip Ripper homestead.

jldii

Kooty,

Just pray if something happens to you that she doesn’t sell those things for what you “said” you paid for them!!

I just unpacked my annual supply from Daves, and I was smart enough to have them delivered to me here at the lake! I don’t think she’ll notice another 65 cranks.

kooty
    Keymaster

I must say I’m very lucky when it comes to my outdoors check book. The wife rarely says no, but quite often says “HOW MUCH”. Just kidding! I’ve got it very good.

All she asks is I spread out my purchases so she has time to “save” for me.

Back to why she thinks I’m crazy. Today my purchase consisted of 10 or so crankbaits that won’t get used until Oct and they are only used for about a month a year. Specifically for Mille Lacs. She says can’t you use them anywhere else, I say sure, just don’t know when I would. But, yes I could. I could do a lot of things.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I just had a similar conversation tonight at supper. I told her I finally found a source for the Gamakatsu 211 1/32 ounce jigs I like so well. I explained that I bought 1/32 and 1/16 from a guy in Indiana and they’d be on the way next week. She asked how much, and shook her head when I said $80. She couldn’t believe it when I told her that I had to buy a box of each to get him to order them for me. Then when I told her I needed two trolling rods and some spinners to teach the boys how to troll, she flipped out.

Where are those beer nuts…

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

guess I’m lucky
    My wife stops at gander and picks them up for me.

shayla

Tell her you always go all out and only get the BEST…..which includes her! That should pacify her for a while.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I just tell mine its the same reason you have so many shoes. Then change the subject.

BigDaddyEE

The next time any of you have this conversation come up at home, simply take them to the musky fishing section of your local fishing retailer,show her the price tags on those crankbaits, and tell her to thank her lucky stars that you’re not one of those guys. $4-5 a lure will seem like a bargain compared to $20 a pop.

That said, I wouldn’t trade my musky addiction for any other hobby in the world.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Yup, I can’t remember how many times I’ve had that conversation. I finally go thte last word a couple weeks ago though. I went with her to the mall one evening and watched her spend almost $500 on 2 pairs of jeans. 2 freakin’ pairs of jeans for $500, I had to sit down On the way home I told her she has absolutely no right to ever question how much I spend or comment on how much I already own. I came home Monday evening with a new 7 1/2ft St Croix casting rod paired with a Abu 7000 and all the trimmings to go with it, haven’t heard one word yet I still cannot for the life of me figure out how a pair of jeans can be worth $275, mine only cost me $30

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Have the same problem with my power bait addiction the wife seemed to think that one lasts all day long. I told her on a good day I could go through 2 packages of them or more plus you never know what the fish will want on a given day. They she asked me why don’t I use Cranks since they last all day.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Big Daddy EE said it best…………

As long as I don’t complain about all the cosmetic junk my wife buys, then she doesn’t complain about my muskie tackle purchases………

So, the way I see it, it is a win-win situation for me!

heimdawg

Quote:

On my way home from Cabelas today, my wife asks me, “Why do you keep buying so many lures??” I tell her not just lures, but specifically crankbaits. I hear the dull silence in the phone, hoping it will pass and we move on to the next subject. Nope. She says, don’t you have all the colors? I say nope, just got started really. The last two years I’ve really improved my crankbait selection. However, there are lots of kinds that work at different times of the year. And you never know what color will work, so you gotta have them all….times 2. Why 2?? In case you lose one or if your buddy fishing with you needs one.

She says I’m crazy, what do you guys think??? I’m guessing my crankbait selection is rather modest compared to most you.

Kooty, I use this tactic. “Gee, honey, I know I already have some but they were onsale. What would you have done?”

ted-merdan

Kooty – I would say you are nuts to tell her about each purchase… but that’s my view. My wife would blow a gasket if she knew I spent $1200 on shad raps in May down at Red Wing.

As for having too many, I think you are progressing along nicely. I make it a point to sort my tackle for each tournament when she is not around. I don’t appreciate hearing ‘why do you have so many lures that aren’t even opened…’ to which my standard response is “does your hobby send you a W2 each year?”

How is that T8 running? You will have to swing by and see the new pad.

ted

kooty
    Keymaster

You deserve to be criticized for buying that many baits at a time. It’s way too hard to sneak them in the house in bulk quantities.

The T8 runs like a top, when she is in the water. Boat is very mad me right now. She hasn’t been on the water since opener. I spilled a little beer in her the other night to try and trick her into thinking we were out fishing.

Can’t wait for the fall run on the pond. I’m thinking it’s going to be a great year.

the better half
    Champlin, MN

I have been chuckling as I read everyone’s posts because we, Fish Any Time/Francis, have had numerous conversions regarding the very same thing. Although I am usually wondering about the number of rods and the vast array of plastics he has in the boat. So, anyway, I am reading along and I come to the post regarding 2 pair of jeans for $500, and my jaw dropped. I am definitely not a fashion diva, regardless of what the hubby says, so maybe I am just out of the loop. Therefore my question is, does a $275 pair of jeans make you’re a** look better than a $30 ($20 on sale) pair of jeans? Do they cure cellulite? I have more questions but this is a family site so I will keep it limited to those two. I realize I am probably asking the wrong people the wrong questions but I just thought I would throw them out anyway.

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Quote:

Therefore my question is, does a $275 pair of jeans make you’re a** look better than a $30 ($20 on sale) pair of jeans?

All I can say is I sure as hope they do!

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

I think you are lucky they are just lures. I want to buy a new fish finder, but her response is ‘Isn’t it half the fun to find the fish’?

Sorry honey, this is not a treasure hunt! …. (or is it)?

Help please!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I do not tell mine about the 20+ pounds of plastic that I have for smallie fishing.
    All the packages that show up are for Christmas presents.

As for the $500 jeans

Ron

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Kooty, I used to go through this all the time.
    Then I explained how much more money I would spend if I didn’t have this hobby and spent my time in the bar or nudey joints. More often than I do now

If we didn’t spend it on fishing gear, we would spend it on other things.

Congrats on #2. We’ll have to celebrate next time we bump into each other.
    Hope you get some time on the water.

Jami

Jami

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The 2 day rule.

If it gets into the garage for 2 days, you can say it has been there forever!

kooty
    Keymaster

Ah, the old two day rule. Now that’s a classic.

Got out to Cabelas one day while Ma was still in the hospital. Got to finish of the gift card. I’ve decided I have a disease. I love shopping for crankbaits!!! I shouldn’t have any excuses for not catching fish this fall!!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Kooty save one spot in the boat. need to best the best.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m sure hoping you Josh and I can get a night in together!!!!!

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

I think that can be easily arranged!!! I’ve been on quite a crankbait buying spree lately so hopefully they’ll all fit in the boat!!!

Josh

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You forgot that spot now, right Josh!?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.