Any reports?

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ll be heading up on the 27th and I can’t wait. Are there any reports out there?

Someone must be out chasing those sumo smallies!

corey-studer

Blue,

If you’re talking about Mille Lacs, just about any of the tradional “smallie haunts” are holding fish. I personally haven’t chased them yet but, I have caught several in the 17 to 19 inch range. I did talk to a few anglers that were targeting them and they said they were catching 30 plus a day.

As for the white tips, you can go just about any where and catch them. My wife and I easily caught over 50 a day this past week. Presenations: You name it, they it! Good luck and let me know if you need any specifics.

“500”

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I was planning to go last Thursday but my youngest was sick. So I stayed home with him.

Ron

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Blue, spent most of the day yesterday fishing smallies. Perfect conditions for sight fishing the shallows. Saw a lot of fish, many follows back to the boat, but only caught 2 fish….

Then again, I’m a walleye guy fishing like a trout guy.

Anyway, I think they have been off a bit due to the cold fronts moving through the area since Friday. Wind was out of the east – southeast most of the weekend and had just switched out of the west. They just needed a few days for things to set up. Water temp in the bays was in the upper 60’s. (65-67 degrees) You will be hitting it about right on your trip.

-J.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Jon-

What where you throwing at them and areas where you keying in on? (shallow or deep rocks, bolder size)

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Shallow. The lake layed down and you could see bottom in 5 feet no prob. Sun right over my head. I hit several areas. Sand bays with scattered rock. Docks. A lot of rock shoreline. Spent a lot of time on top of/inside of the markers exploring. Areas in there where if there were any kind of chop my boat would klunk bottom. A lot of big rock and boulder. I have new respect for the placement of those bouys!

Anyway, saw most of the fish on sand with scattered rock. Caught both fish off one dock.

Edit….

Tossed a few different color Mepps spinners… (Blue and James call them trout bait.) Tossed a lot of BFT grubs and ringworms. Some gulp stuff. Some cranks. What did I get my 2 fish on? Mepps!

The fish were pretty tight lipped. I even threw out a nice fat crawler right in front of a couple fish. Just ignored it.

-J.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I refuse to resort to trout bait this year. If it ain’t eatin’ a Chug Bug, Pop-R, or any other topwater bait I own, I’ll throw a senko…

Thanks for the report Jon! I can’t wait for the 27th!!!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks Jon.

I am not sure what is more frustrating throwing baits all day to these fishy spots or seenig the fish and not being able to get them to hit. Everytime I get out tehre it seems it is only feast or famine and nothing in between.

reedstack

I was out on may 31st and June 2nd and had 2 awesome days. I never went back into any bays, just fished the reefs, keying on boulders. Most of the fish I caught were pre-spawn. Will be heading out there again next week. Hopefully the topwater bite will be on.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

Perfect conditions for sight fishing the shallows. Saw a lot of fish, many follows back to the boat, but only caught 2 fish….

Jon,
    Sounds like perfect conditions for the Jimmy d’s small black Riverbugs. Thats exactly what the fish have been doing lately on the river on traditional plastics and hardbaits, but yet throw these little morsels out there and the smallies have been turning 180 back on them…Just a thought. I need to get you some of these!!!!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Steve, Maybe you want to post the link to Jimmy D’s jigs again??

And again…I say…there are no smallies in Mille Lacs. You are catching largemouth bass or perch. Defintely not smallies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.