Tagged walleye movement

• rms
    Fridley

I’ve sent in a few tagged walleye numbers and it is interesting to see just how much they move around. I caught one on Flamingo that was tagged north of eight mile. A fish I pulled off Seguchie was tagged near Lakeside. Anybody else check this out? I’d be curious to see what others have found.

Paul Hanlon
    Roseville, Minnesota

Dad picked one up on Eight Mile last Father’s Day that had been tagged on the SW shore.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have sent in many and found the same results. I’m currently reading a book on walleye locations. The book shows a walleye tracking study that was done on a northern Mn lake. Walleyes were fitted with transmitters after being caught. The study targeted catching walleyes from 6-7 different structure locations on the lake. The purpose was to see if these fish spent thier lives in the same locations they were caught. The results were pretty amazing. Most of the walleyes tagged in the study were 20-22 inches. All of them never stayed in the area they were caught. The study was done in the middle of summer. One walleye covered 13 miles in just two days. Most of the walleyes moved into shallow water at night and roamed during the day. Most of them spent time on classic structure like points and humps. Also it was interesting to see how major cold fronts effected the fish. The fish put on most of thier miles after a major cold front. Possibly looking for stable water. It was also interesting to see that most of the fish caught, eventually returned to the area where they were caught. This could possibly be thier orginal spawning area?
    So its easy to see that Mille lacs walleyes could swim to the mudflats in a day. Making me think that all the mud flat fish do migrate to shore to spawn and then return shortly after if baitfish populations are low in the spawning areas.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Derek,

I’m curious….what’s the name of that book?

Sound interesting!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Derek;
    Is that the “critical concepts” walleye location book? If so, that book was the absolute best read on walleyes I’ve ever laid my eyes on.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Gary, you still got it???

Paul Hanlon
    Roseville, Minnesota

Rob & folks,

I just bought one used/like new at Amazon for less than $7 shipped.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Yes I do…..Actually a buddy has it, but I will be getting it back shortly.

For the most part, that book taught me how to find walleyes on any lake, river, res…….It is an awesome read.

You have to “read into it” though…….as many parts are very contradictive on walleye movement within the book. For example, one section will talk at how difficult it is for a walleye to move up from deep water to shallow (say 25fow to 8fow) for feeding and that it takes the walleye hours to such rise in the water column. The next chapter states that walleyes move up and down those big reefs all day long, in a matter of an hour or less time……

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Gary,, Yes, thats the book, I agree, best book ive picked up in along time. Somewhat dated but still a great read.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Gary, I think they were refering to lakes with hard thermoclines that it takes them to move up longer.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Neither. Its # 2 in the series

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The tagged fish are very interesting. My brother and I caught the same walleye one night on Lakeside reef. I bet that happens more than people think, but the tag confirmed it. Every tagged fish that I have pulled off the East side rocks was tagged on the South side of the lake. I harvested a tagged walleye once and sent the tag in using the postcard supplied by the DNR. I received an email a few weeks later asking if I was sure the fish came from Mille Lacs. I said yes and gave her the exact location. She said they had no record of that tag ever being used. Weird.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Derek;
    I’ll have to re-read those sections…… I must have misunderstood that.

Again, every walleye man should have this book. It will actually teach you the seasonal cycles of the walleye through spring, summer, fall, winter. I’ve found reading lakes to be quite easy after buying this book, it is still that dang river that makes it tough.

Once you know where the walleyes are, then picking presentation makes it easier, because you have the confidence that the walleyes should be where you think they are.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Is this it:

Concept 2

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.