Priceless

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

New Fish Trap Yukon: $400.00

New Mr Heater Buddy: $80.00

New Tackle and Gear: $25.00

Defective Fat Heads and Shiners: Priceless

Well, My first outing of the year… and I meant to do it right. Hit the big pond yesterday… on the west side by Eddys. Fished about 8 hours. New house, new gear, was all set. All I have to say is… from the reports I heard of the bite… I must have bought defective bait because I didn’t pull up anything other than a small perch. Uhg!!!

Back to the drawing board.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

One question for you….Were you mobile at all????
    Something to keep in mind when fishing the pond…stay mobile…I know from fishing with several guys here who post reports are always on the move…If they don’t see something in there hole withing 5 minutes max they are moving to another hole or location…That is key not only on mille lacs but any other lake you fish..
    I have seen a lot of people who are bummed out, and often left to wonder why they can’t catch what the reports say…Remember to go out after the fish…
    One thing I also realize is that not all fishermen are the same for different reasons…Some guys like to stay put and let the fish come to them while others are go getter’s and will seek active fish… Another thing that is why its called fishing and not catching..If it was called catching everyone would be doing it….
    I am not bashing anyone’s fishing techniques here, just offering my two cents why some people get bummed out why they are not catching fish..

baldorman
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Two words for ya… Flamingo Reef! I went up Friday night with a friend. We both have places at Agate Bay. Friday night we went to his house at Flamingo reef at about 7:30. The bite was very slow as we were just off the side of the reef in 22′ of water. We were getting no action so we decided to drill a couple of holes about 20 yards away in 16′ feet. It stayed quiet till about 11:00 when a rattle wheel in the house went down at about 11:00 which was a 22″ Walleye. I went out at 12:30 to ummm get rid of some beer and the flag went up on the tip up. WOW what a fight in the middel of the night outside in the dark, 29.5″ PIG! Yes I have a pic but I do not know how to put it up on here (Could use some help)anyways… Nothing the rest of the night. The next morning we drilled more holes in the 16′ range before sun up. Was the right move… Within putting in one of the tip up’s we had a 26 incher and as soon as we released another flag went up and had a 24″ we caught 9 Walleyes total before 9:00am. Worked on my place most of the afternoon and had an early dinner before going back out Saturday night. We stuck with our pre drilled holes and were content. We had no bites during sunset. We decided to crash around 1:00am We were woken up at 1:30 with the rattle reel in the house SCREAMING… My buddy jumped up and all he had to do was grab the line… Fought for about 10 Min and what do you know our second 29″ of the weekend. I have fished the pond my whole life and have had good success on catching my share of PIGS. BUT that was a first that both of us caught 10Lb class fish on the same weekend!
    WHAT A BLAST! I am not the type to keep secrets and belive anyone deserves a chance like I do, so I will tell anyone who ask’s where I catch them. SO… for me it was Flamingo Reef this weekend! I hope Bobber reads this… I know he would be proud! ALSO if someone could PM me and tell me step by step how to upload the pics it would be helpfull!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, Calvin… here’s the thing. I haven’t been out all year… so I go to start my Auger. Won’t run. I spend all night Friday night… and a good portion of Sunday night (was out of town the weekend) working on it. Can’t get it started for the life of me. So I borrow a freinds hand auger. Get to the lake… freind told be it was a little dull… but geesh!!! took me 15 mins to drill 1 hold for my tip-up. A nice guy in a portable near me saw all my work and offered to drill a couple for me. With my arms being as sore as they were from the one hole I did drill… I wasn’t moving anywhere. gotta get that auger fixed. I am normally mobile though… I woulda moved within 15 mins. Was kinda nice though… in abou 18 FOW and could see the bottom as clear as day. Could see every perch that came to suck in that minnow head and spit it back out within a second.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Nice Baldorman. I am not sure where Flamingo Reef is… but without an ATV or Sled… I was hoofing it pulling about 200lbs of gear on the Yukon. Only got out about a few hurdred yards from shore near some other houses (not too close though).

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Like I said sometimes certain circumstances don’t allow you to be mobile…but guess what….you were fishing while I was working so to you!!!!
    There will always be a next time…hey if you get a chance to fish the pond this weekend head over to Hunters Point and stop in at the get together…
    Good luck and hope to see ya on the ice…

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

baldorman- email me the picture- I can resize it for you and get it posted if you would like?
    [email protected]
    Nice Fish!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Thanks Calvin… my motto:

Quote:

The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work!!! (Unless to are a fisherman by trade).

Well, I have to work on Saturday… have Sunday off and have thought about going up there for a little “bite”. does anyone plan on staying through the day on Sunday?

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

fish hacker, I`m just wondering where did you get a new yukon for $400 ?I`m in the market for a new house myself..

jiggle-jiggle

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Gander Mountain has/had them on sale for 399.00. call around they may still have some. Maple Grove was out. Fridley did not run that same sale. I had to go out to Forest Lake. They had quite a few. Give them a call to make sure they still got them.

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

Thanks for the info fish hacker. I`ll check it out before it`s too late ,thats a good price for that house.

jiggle-jiggle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.