Last nights adventure on the “Golden Pond”

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I took some advice from Lil Ripper’s post yesterday and called my uncle to get him on some late season walleyes on the pond! Started trolling at 7:45 last night and we had 4 fish in the boat by 8pm! I took some advice from skindog!!!! “Have net will travel”. What a beautiful night on the lake until about 9pm last night, then outta nowhere the rollers started to appear out of the SE?? We could not feel any wind in our faces at all last night just rolling waves. I wondered all night were these waves came from!
    Enough about the wind back to the fishing! The fish were going again last night after a little break between 8:30 and 9:30. We ended up with about 20-25 fish, no sumo’s just a good number 23″-25″ fish! Best baits last night were Rogue clown, #12 firetiger and clown! As the night grew later we switched to #14’s in the husky jerks. We boated our biggest fish on these. I also had the enjoyment of tangling into a 42″ pike (rough fish) that completely inhaled my #14 husky jerk!!
    So yes the fish are still going good on the pond! Its a great time to take family memebers out to get them into the fast paced action!!!

FYI we seen a small john/ duck boat last night out without any lights on the boat trolling the shoreline!! They used a battery powered lantern as a light for the boat and navagation light!! What a bunch of !!!! No wonder why we have boat accidents at night!!!!

docternus
    Ramsey, Minnesota

Hey Ranger,
    I was out last night on the west side. Did not do well at all. All the old tricks were not working. I had a guy trolling right next to me back trolling in what looked like about an 18 foot fishing boat. I told him, “You know you dont have any lights?” he replied, “Yeah, they just went out”. He never left the lake though, I saw him all night long. What a *%$@ nucklehead. Talk about dangerous, especially with no moon. I want to get out Friday night but am very discouraged about last night. Any tips?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

How fast were you going?? What baits are you running? What depth? Otherwise use castaways 30 minute rule. No bites in 30 minutes move somewhere else and give it a try!!
    Just my thoughts! I may have an open seat tomorrow night!!!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

It seems like we got most of our hits after I dropped it into nuetral and let the boat slow down to nothing. #12 Husky’s in a blue, silver, orange bottom worked best for me.

I was planning on hitting it friday and saturday night but now I think maybe just saturday night.

It looks like it might rain saturday night but only be in the 40’s for a low.

If it’s calm out I plan on covering alot of water.

docternus
    Ramsey, Minnesota

Hey Ranger,
    Check your IDA inbox. We were in about 8-11 fow just on the back side of the weed edge. About 1.5 -2.3 mph. Maybe to fast? Fishing #10s, rogues in clown, lazer craw, nothing was working. We are going to hit it again friday night. Ranger 621, thats me. We need a new pattern thogh. What do you think?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Skindog I would look into turning the idle down on that 4 stroker I have talked to some people that have them and they have done that and helped.I think we were just going way to fast the other night.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Some of the community holes have been hit pretty hard and with less moon sometimes dont turn on till later.If you do a little searching the fish havnt been hard to find.That 7-9 FOW has been the ticket this year.I could tell ya where to go but hunting them down is half the fun and I wouldnt want to ruin that

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Hey even Ranger 29 is catching on.You still got my # on speed dial

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Cmon Castaway give some credit!!!

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Sorry just having some fun at your expense.Besides you still havnt given me a ride in that bad Ranger you keep bragging about

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I am not bragging bout it! Starting to second guess buying it!!! It cost major bucks to run it!!! Oh well I guess I can’t take it with me when I am gone! I would not want to take any more of your spots if you fished with me!!!

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

You crack me up

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Stay on the East side!!!!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Cal,

Sounds like you found them last night. It seemed the bigger gals did not wake up until later in the evening (11pm on) the other night. Not sure why?

Another note to people looking to get up there. The crowds that were up there the other week are gone. You almost have the lake and spots to yourself. Except Castaway is always lurking around the next bend That guy never rests and seems to troll the whole lake every night

Dr. JT, Give it a go, I also mix in a lot of S turns to the game plan. It sounds like you may have been a tad quick also . I tried not to go above 1.7mph the other night (stayed between 1.0 to 1.6). I think the fine details like this are the difference, that many may overlook. Good Luck BOYS GO GET’EM

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

bad Ranger you keep bragging about

Take it easy on him Castaway. It could be worse “He could be a BASS Fisherman in a Ranger”

Then he would blow by us 10 feet away doing 60mph, swamp us and then say it would have been better than coming off plane

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I still might do that if I see that goofy lund with the living room light in it!!!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I still might do that if I see that goofy lund with the living room light in it!!!!!

Castaway you got a refrig and satelite TV in that thing too

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Well the walleye express is heading north again tonight.I think I will go incognito seeing the Cat jacket is in need of a wash(smells like a walleye)and Ill put a lampshade on the living room light Looks like I will be going back home on the east side Friday night as they are calling for south winds. Might be a nice change of scenery

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

Quote:

Castaway you got a refrig and satelite TV in that thing too

he’s working on getting his boat to imitate his fishhouse

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Good luck tonight!!! hit em hard!!! and often!!!

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

yeah southwinds at 10-15mph

That should mean winds out of the north at 2-4mph

stupid weather man

Need company tonight castaway?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Im heading up with Trigger 1 tonight,I hope he is good with a net Might have to make a few passes on the honey hole.Ill let you know if there still biting

heimdawg

Quote:

Im heading up with Trigger 1 tonight,I hope he is good with a net Might have to make a few passes on the honey hole.Ill let you know if there still biting

What’s a net? Funicello?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Lately its been something that has ended up in my hands

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Don’t worry Castaway will point it out for ya! you will also get sick and tired of taking his firetiger or clown lures out of the net!!! He tends to get them stuck a lot!!!!

heimdawg

Quote:

Lately its been something that has ended up in my hands

Better bring two then.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Hey Trigger if you have a decent net bring it along.Mine tends to eat Rapalas and I am ready to throw it away.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I was thinking the same thing.

I think I’ll pick up a pair of muffs and adjust it in my driveway.

I could see me falling into the drink trying to do that on the lake.

synthes
    Plymouth, MN

I have to agree, with some people out running with no lights. We were on the west side last night around 9..I caught what looked like a boat in front of me…lit him up with the spot light…guy turned his lights on for a couple minutes…then off again…ran by him later and he only had his front light on…was in a nice tiller boat with a honda four stroke…if he’s on this board..some advice, I know it’s not convenient to look at your graphs etc with the back light on…but with all the boat traffic coming in and out, why risk it? As far as fishing…landing around 25 last night…6 that were over the 25 mark. Just as some of the other guys stated…slow with S-turns…husky jerk’s firetiger and glass perch color for us last night produced most of the fish.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.