Muskies on mille lacs??????

• micah-witham
    Richfield

i am heading up this sunday to fish muskies in the day and troll at night. i got some good tips from the folks in participating in the “fall roll call” forum, but wondering what other info is out there. where are the muskies this time of year on the big lake? i have heard stick to the sand, others say still in the weeds. i have heard that people are catching perch trolling around the rocks which would lead me to believe if the perch are in the rocks, then so are the muskies. i have heard much about the north end sand break around malmo but have never fished it. any thoughts would be appreciated.
    mwitham

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I am having Gary post a 52×25 we caught this year, that should get your blood pumping to get up there

micah-witham
    Richfield

that’s a great fish and all, but it’s hard to see any landmarks in that pic boys! send me a pm bucky or gary with your spots…cmon.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Well;

This time of the year, I would focus on trolling cranks. Jakes and Grandmas. I would also have a spinnerbait bucktail this time of the year. The water isn’t that cold yet and these fish are still active.

I would work the north end for trolling. It is an easy run for a rookie on the pond. Work the breakline from Wealthwood, going west. The breakline up there is a huge stretch, where the water has a steep drop off from about 12 feet of water, down to mid-20s…. On top of this shelf is a massive crop of cabbage, that host muskies, pike, walleyes, and perch.

I would troll on top of the cabbage, focusing in the 6 to 10 feet of water.

Put the rods in the rod holders, throw her in gear about 3 mph and work from there.

Colors I would work with are perch, firetiger, browns, blue/silvers. With the spinnerbaits……You have to have red/black……

What more questions do you have?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

By the way,

I think you have a better chance of sticking a monster ski over a monster walleye this weekend. Weather looks to be a little crazy this weekend, plus again the water temps are not that cold yet up there to really get the full effect of the fall full moon eye bite.

Have a hanfull of cranks and change up colors till you find something that works.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

mwitham, I would consider reversing your plan. I would troll during the day and cast for muskies at night in a little shallower water(4-8 FOW). We have a had alot of action at night this year on topraiders and hogwablers. They miss the bait more often but the action seems to be better. Good luck! post some pics if you can.

Swerv

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Beautiful fish and Pic Bucky

Bob Bowman
    MN

I am going to be up there this Friday-Sunday. I am thinking that I am going to be up on the north end, weather allowing. Micah what are you going to be fishing out of. If you see me stop by and introduce yourself, I have a red ranger with 2 black merc’s on the back, it would be nice to finally meet you.

jldii

North end sand, 2-4 feet of water, troll the largest 5 of diamonds you can find at about 3.5-5mph. IF you have a storm start to head your way, look for some weeds. There are some fish being seen around the rocks (Doe reef) but not many biters. Good luck!

micah-witham
    Richfield

Bob
    I will most likely be on the north end Sunday afternoon depending on the weather…i’ll be in a 1775 pro v black/beige with a 115 yamaha and two knuckleheads in the boat with me…if we see you, i’ll be sure to stop by. good luck
    micah

BigDaddyEE

Bulldawgs in the weeds on the deep breakline…sitting in 9-10 and casting out off the edge and working it back with slow, steady pulls and reeling to keep your line tight between pulls….similar to working a Suick.

When you hit weeds, give it a healthy rip to clear it and hang on…

Mag Bulldawgs…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.