Deep Tail Dancin’ on Mille Lacs

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I made a decision that once and for all was going to finally try out the new deep tail dancers. I purchased several of these deep diving crankbaits this spring, but have failed to tie one on. Rapala claims these lures will run up to 30 feet down on their own! Not many lures can do this and this is the perfect depth on the big pond.

They made some good colors this first release (bleeding tiger, flash perch, red tiger, and clown). I’ve had luck using these type of colors with #9’s with snap weights and figured that the big females may like these bigger lures!

Two of us met another friend of mine at the landing around 2:00 pm Thursday night. We decided to target some suspended fish out and around the mud flats. We tied on a bleeding tiger, a flash perch and a deep thunderstick – firetiger (old reliable). Only after 20 minutes of trolling – BANG – we had our first hit on the bleeding tiger on a long line (no board)! The clicker just screamed and we knew this was a big fish. After a nice fight to the boat we finally netted this 28 inch beauty (see attached pic). Nice fish Dave! This tied his biggest fish to date!

I said “WOW, that didn’t take long!”. After we snapped a couple of pictures and released this big girl, I started to think about how stupid I was not trying this crankbait earlier in the year!

I quickly looked in my box to see if I had another bleeding tiger – nope! I bought 2 colors of each but soon remembered that Gander Mtn. only had one bleeding tiger!

Maybe it was just a fluke…

About a half hour later – bang! Another hit on the same line (bleeding tiger/long line). Again, the clicker just screamed and the rod was a pumpin. But just as fast as it hit – the clicker soon went silent. This fish did not stay hooked.

One hour later – bang – another hit on the bleeding tiger/long line! But once again, this fish did not stay hooked! OK – my bad this time.

I quickly decided that this was not going to happen to me again and decided to run another planer board on my starboard side. I sometimes think when long lining with a rod holder and when you have the clicker on, the drag doesn’t seem to be as smooth. Anybody else think this? I try not to use a clicker when long lining, but it’s hard to watch all of the lines all of the time.

Shortly there after, bang – yep – same line but this time on the planer board. After a nice fight, we boated a 24 incher.

This was pretty much the pattern the rest of the day. Bleeding tiger, bleeding tiger, bleeding tiger. We ended the day catching 5 fish (28, 24, 23, 22 and a 16 incher) and lost two others. All but one fish was caught on bleeding tiger.

SO… on Sunday, I decided to hit the pond again and this time I loaded up on you know what…

Even though they were predicting strong winds for the day, I decided that I just had to get those deep tail dancers down there again. We (3 of us) met at the landing and sure enough it was windy. Some big rollers were already visible in the bay and I knew it would be a rough trip. We took our time and eventually made it out to our spot.

Trolling with the waves was the only option. Right away, we were marking some good fish and I knew we had a good chance for a hook up. 15 minutes after we had our lines down – BANG – Bleeding Tiger Again!

This fish just smacked it and I knew that it was a big one. After a nice fight, my buddy who was experiencing his first trip on Mille Lacs, landed his biggest eye to date – 28 inches! Way to go Troy!

Now, I was excited! However, the other person in the boat was not. She was starting to get sea sick. She tried her hardest to hang in there but it was no use. We decided to head back to the landing after only one hour of fishing. One thing that I’ve learned is to not ruin a good thing by making someone stay out when they are not feeling well. She loves to go fishing and I’m not going to ruin it!
    Besides, I’ll be there there soon again now that I’m a firm believer that Tail Dancin’ on Mille Lacs works!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice job Grifter! You have a PM!

Beuatiful fish and report!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Cant get her either Grifter? Not sure what is up? I have this problem from time to time also??????

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I can’t seem to post Troy’s pic for some reason. Any suggestions? Looks like Lip Ripper had the same problems that I did.

duckwiz66

Great Report Grifter! I am forwarding your report and this www site to my brothers in the MSP area. They keep talking about long-lining Mille Lacs, but don’t quite know where to start. THANKS!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great fish guy. I was just in FF the other day and picked up 4 more deep RR’s. I looked hard at the TD’s but decided to pass on them again. I guess I’ll have to get a couple. What color would you recommend??

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Were you using snap weights with the Tail Dancers?

How deep were you running?

Is there a dive curve for Tail Dancers?

I picked a few up this spring and haven’t used them yet.

Thanks

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Cant get her either Grifter? Not sure what is up? I have this problem from time to time also??????

Had the same issue, and James set me straight, you cant have any *&%$# or anything in the tag line. Rename it joe1 and see if it works.
    Tuck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Tuck

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Were you using snap weights with the Tail Dancers?

How deep were you running?

Is there a dive curve for Tail Dancers?

I picked a few up this spring and haven’t used them yet.

Thanks

I was not using any snap weights and I was trolling these cranks between 145 – 155 feet back using fireline. I’m guessing they were maxing out around 30 feet. Not sure if there’s any depth charts available yet for these new cranks.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Great fish guy. I was just in FF the other day and picked up 4 more deep RR’s. I looked hard at the TD’s but decided to pass on them again. I guess I’ll have to get a couple. What color would you recommend??

Bleeding Tiger and Flash Perch

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I’m not much of a walleye guy except that I love the Mille Lacs Fall Nite Trolling Bite, but these Deep Tail dancers sound like something I might look into and enjoy doing.

Thanks for the report.

I bought 2, but am not sure when I’ll get out maybe Thurs. or Fri. if it isn’t to windy.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I have now tried to troll em up twice. First trip was for about 2hours on the SE Side. And the 2nd time was a night deal for 2-3 hours along Sherman’s Flat. Not even a hit either time. I was marking a lot of fish out by Sherman’s but maybe the one’s that are out deep at night are totally non-aggresive and I was fishing under the feeding one’s because there were a fair amound of hooks in the 15-20ft range.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.