Tale of 2 BIG fish!!

• jldii

A member of the St. Croix band that just finished their netting on Mille Lacs reported that he “released” 2 muskies from his nets last week that were H-U-G-E!!

1 over 66″ and the other over 68″!!

I can’t seem to remember what part of the lake they were netting though!!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

66″ and 68″??????? With the girth Mille Lacs seems to produce these could not only be State Records but World Records easily! Or am I missing something here??? Not a huge Muskie guy, but I know that is one MONSTER fish! I thought the State Record was around 55″???

Or is this some wise tale, to get everyone stirred up??? Can anyone confirm this?????

jldii

It could be a story, but I know of at least 1 other person that had heard the same story.

I’d like to think that it is true.

I KNOW Gary is praying it is true!!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I don’t believe that an indian would let them go, and even if they did the fish was probably so stressed that it will just die anyway… What a waste!!!!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Quote:

the fish was probably so stressed that it will just die anyway… What a waste!!!!

I would have to agree……..

jldii

I’d have to agree also, but I’d like to be hopefull that those fish, if they indeed were hung up, were able to recoup and live to see another day.

This is the second time in as many years that I’ve heard of a 68+” muskie on Mille Lacs. The first was in an Indian DNR test net in the fall.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Time to start sharpening hooks again!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Jack,

Maybe you should call Gary and make sure he is all right . You know how he gets when you talk about those toothies. He might of had the big one when he read 66″ & 68″ toothies . Either that he is out like Hooks said, and sharpening all his hooks. He won’t come out of the garage for a week. I’m just a little concerend cause he has not responded yet. Maybe he is still lying on the floor.

Lets hope this is true ! Even if he was off by 10″, that means a 58″

What bay did you say they were netting

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Remember his email from yesterday Rob?? I’m sure he is in a corner somewhere trying to work it off. I’ll bet you a dollar he went out to his boat and started fan casting his front hard in the middle of night when he saw this. He is such a nerd!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’m……
    Hear………

Hands are a little shakkkkeyyy……
    Buttttt, I’mmm ablbleeee to typeeeeee

Stillllllll gasping for air……..
    I’m on my wayyyyyyyyy

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Jack;

We still have some type of bet or debate to settle in the boat this summer don’t we???

If my memory recalls, it was something about the Vikings, I think………..

We are going to have to plan that day sometime in mid-July…….

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Fan Casting????

Are you sure he is not doing figure 8’s standing in his boat in the garage

Breathe Gary

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Nope, not casting yet……

Well, maybe a few trials on the reels, after re-greasing them up over the winter.

But the hooks are replaced and the stone was out to fine tune the points.

Fresh 80lb tuff line on all reels.

All the walleye river gear has been removed and the 8 muskie rods are now in the locker.

I’m ready to roll baby!!!!!!!!!!

jldii

Gary,

Allow me to refresh your memory. You bet me a days muskie fishing that Culpepper would be less than an average QB without Moss next year. I believe you said he would…”totaly stink”…if I’m not mistaken. I bet you a day of walleye fishing he would still have a great season. So we have to wait till next year to settle the bet.

Thats not to say we couldn’t maybe get together this year and check out the area where this guy was supposed to have been netting though!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A 68″ fish must eat 3lb smallies and eyes at will. You better bring the monster baits for fish that size!!! I’m betting if Gary raised a fish like this, he would be wet all the way to down to his shoe laces. He would probably even scream like a scared little girl when the ski showed herself. I’d love to witness all this!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Kooty,
    If you want to witness, then let’s go!!!!!!!

I’m going after that girl!!!!!

And yes, I will admit now that I will scream like a little girl and probably loose control of body functions……….But if I hooked that girl, I wouldn’t care!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDaddyEE

Would love to see pictures of these fish to validate their existence. I suppose it’s possible, but I can’t help but be a little pessimistic about the reported measurements of these fish.

Sadly, after being caught in one of those damn nets, I strongly suspect these fish are both serving as turtle food at this point.

Sorry to be such a boner-kill with this post, but everytime I hear a story of muskies being caught and “released” from the nets (regardless of the size), it frustrates me that such a wonderful resource is being wasted.

On the positive side, only 22 more days until it’s time to start chasing these monsters up on the big pond. Gotta love the fat girls!!!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

all i can say is, show me the pictures!!!! not to be a nay sayer here, but 68 inches, a little to far fetched for me. 58 inches would be way more beleavable. on the other hand, nobody thought that there were sturgeon in mille lacs either until they netted one last year……..tom f

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

You guys had all go out and buy BIGGER boats ! Why is it I can picture you guys sitting in the coffee shop talkin bout the big one and some scruffy old guy drags his fingernails across the chalkboard with the daily special on and says I’ll take care of him for ya !

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.