Newbies on our first Ice Fishing trip!

• Smitty

Hi everyone-

Just lookin’ for a little advice.

I booked a 10 man icehouse for the weekend of 2/18. Twin Pines, heard of it?

None of us have ever fished in MN, and only a few have ever icefished at all!

Everyone is really looking forward to it. I may even have to upgrade to the 14 man, because people hear about it and want to join us

Do you guys have any suggestions on supplies to bring? They told me they’ll have rattle-reels for half the holes. But tackle, bait, etc., I am clueless…

How’s the fishing on Mille Lacs been so far this season?

My buddy was on Gull Lake last weekend, and only had 2 bites all weekend. The guy warned him that it was almost too cold for any fish activity, but they had a blast anyway…

We’re planning to eat what we catch, and hit the restaurant/bar if we come up short.

I don’t know, 10 of the fellas, a few cases of beer, and and a whole lotta tellin’ lies. What could be better?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses….

Smitty_

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Make sure you read the regs for MN. They can only have so many lines. Ask the locals what to use when you get up there after you buy something from them.

Smitty

Quote:

Make sure you read the regs for MN. They can only have so many lines. Ask the locals what to use when you get up there after you buy something from them.

We’ll do. Any idea what the regs are for lines?

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Smitty- In Minnesota you are allowed 2 lines per angler. I have had good luck on Mille Lacs in the past. You really just have to go out and ask people what to fish with. If I were you I would definitely pick up some jigging spoons, I have had very good luck on these in the winter fishing for walleyes. Good Luck , JD

Smitty

Quote:

I would definitely pick up some jigging spoons, I have had very good luck on these in the winter fishing for walleyes. Good Luck , JD

Jigging spoons. Check. Thanks!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome to the IDA Smitty!!!!!!

Mille Lacs is an awesome fishery. You and your buddies will have fun, even if the fish don’t bite. There is alot of entertainment up there, along with the great fishing.

There are few guys on the site that will chime in on what to bring. It is a big “night bite” lake and I’m sure the folks at Twin Pines will put you in the right direction on what to use for tackle.

Twin Pines is a good place and has a very good breakfast in the morning.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Smitty

Quote:

Welcome to the IDA Smitty!!!!!!

Mille Lacs is an awesome fishery. You and your buddies will have fun, even if the fish don’t bite. There is alot of entertainment up there, along with the great fishing.

There are few guys on the site that will chime in on what to bring. It is a big “night bite” lake and I’m sure the folks at Twin Pines will put you in the right direction on what to use for tackle.

Twin Pines is a good place and has a very good breakfast in the morning.

Hey, thanks for the welcome Gary! I’ll be sure to post some pictures of the trip, we’re all pretty pumped.

Hopefully, they’ll bite, but as you said, I imagine we’ll have fun either way

Gary, have you ever been in any of the Twin Pines houses? I haven’t seen any pictures, kinda want a feel of how they rank compared to other outfitters on the lake.

Thanks again!

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Smitty.
    Good to hear you are heading to Twin Pines. The staff is great there and will for sure tell you what the fish are hitting on. You will want to bring a few ice rod and reel combos up and if you cant Buy them near where your at they sell them all over up there ( Holiday store, Tuts Bait, Garrison bait ect. just to name a few), and not include all the places on the way up there.
    We go up in Oct and stay at Twin Pines and I have inlaws that live about a half a mile away but we choose to stay there once a year. I eat there nearly every time Im up there. The food is Great try the 7 layer hashbrown.
    Bring some cards maybe a small radio with batteries. Maybe a generater and a tv if ya want to be set up that well. dont for get a camera.
    Early in the morning say from 5-7 jig for walleyes even if ya need to pull up bobbers to do it, your odds will be better. On the bobber lines the past few weeks small suckers were working for walleyes. The shinners were getting a few pike and that was it. ” This was in the same area Twin Pines Has their houses.
    From about 7-10 use little smaller jigging spoon and just the head of a fat head minnow on the hook and dropp it to the bottom and start jigging. the perch come in and the fishing can be fun. You will get a ton of perch but maybe only a few nice big ones. However it is fun. Then again in the after noon get ready because the perch come back in and then walleys just before and at dark. You could get fish anytime day or night but these are the best times.
    Make sure you read reports before ya go up to see how fishing is going. Feel free to send me a P.M. before you go I will be gone From 2-5 to 2-12 but let me know maybe heading up there when I get back.
    Good luck and no body here will steer you wrong. What works for me may not work for others and it may not be working at the time you are there.
    Once again feel free to P.M. me with anyother questions you may have. Hope it helped.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Gary, have you ever been in any of the Twin Pines houses? I haven’t seen any pictures, kinda want a feel of how they rank compared to other outfitters on the lake.

Smitty a guy on here Gutpile is heading up there on Sat to stay in there house he can give you a report when he gets back if ya send him a P.M. on this topic.
    I have never fished in on of there houses sorry i cant help there.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Nope, I haven’t stayed in Twin Pines overnight shacks. I haven’t been in an overnight shack on Mille Lacs in a long time…….But I have stayed there a few times in the summer and the staff is very friendly.

All the resorts up there aren’t too bad.
    Make sure you do talk to them at what type of warm cloths to bring (boots, insulated coveralls, warm hat, gloves, etc). Even though you are in the house, it is still very wise to pack warm cloths along in case of emergency.

If you plan on cooking in their shack, ask them what they have to cook with, so you know what you need to bring. Sometimes, all they have is just a “stove” and no utensils/frypans/plates. MAKE SURE YOU ASK!!! I would bring plenty of snacks (chips/dip, summer sausage, crackers, whatever) that are easy to eat.

Most importantly, I don’t know where you are coming from, or if you ever experienced ice fishing on a lake this big before………..But Mille Lacs is not a place to go cruising around in your car at night, joy riding. There are pressure ridges that pop up and also large cracks that open up. Be careful driving on the ice and use good judgment. Stay on the “roads”.

Lastly, make sure you bring a deck of cards or dice for entertainment in the shack!!!

Again, talk to the resort, they will take care of you.

By the way, what part of the country are you from???
    How did you hear about us???

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Gary is on for the road thing dont be scared to drive on it but stay on the road and if any question on the road just ask the staff they WILL NOT let you out if there is any question on safty they know what they are doing.
    It is a great place to snowmobile so you could bring up a few of them or fourwheelers also.
    If you pack for staying warm having fun and passing time you should have all you need and the the town of Garrison his about 4 miles away and will have most you need if you forget anything.

Smitty

Quote:

If you plan on cooking in their shack, ask them what they have to cook with, so you know what you need to bring. Sometimes, all they have is just a “stove” and no utensils/frypans/plates. MAKE SURE YOU ASK!!! I would bring plenty of snacks (chips/dip, summer sausage, crackers, whatever) that are easy to eat.

yep, the only cookin we’re planning on doing is fryin’ up the fish we catch. My father-in-law has a fish fryer he’s bring ing along. Othe than that, mainly snack foods. And if we strike out on fish we’ll probably just head into the restaurant for meals.

Quote:

Most importantly, I don’t know where you are coming from, or if you ever experienced ice fishing on a lake this big before………..But Mille Lacs is not a place to go cruising around in your car at night, joy riding. There are pressure ridges that pop up and also large cracks that open up. Be careful driving on the ice and use good judgment. Stay on the “roads”.

No problem here, we’ll be in the shack 90% of the time, the only time we’ll get in the trucks is to head to the restaurant, or find a porcelain throne.

Quote:

Lastly, make sure you bring a deck of cards or dice for entertainment in the shack!!!

Defintely, depending on the power/outlet situation I may bring along a TV. I wonder if the shacks all have generators?

Quote:

By the way, what part of the country are you from???
    How did you hear about us???

Well, half of us are recent transplants to Minnesota (govt jobs). All in the twin cities area now. 5 guys are coming up from Iowa, and 2 from Michigan.

And I just found this site using google, it’s a great one. And, like i said, I’ll be sure to frequest because I’ll need all the advice I can get!

All the responses have been fantastic. Thanks so much!! I’ll be sure to take lots of picturs so you guys can laugh at the newbies!

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I hate to spoil your cooking plans and you can verify this in the fishing regs book. On lakes like Mille Lacs with a slot limit you cannot clean fish on the ice. If a CO stops by you need to prove the size of the fish you have kept.

Dino

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Dino, you are so right……it is against the law.

Smitty

Quote:

I hate to spoil your cooking plans and you can verify this in the fishing regs book. On lakes like Mille Lacs with a slot limit you cannot clean fish on the ice. If a CO stops by you need to prove the size of the fish you have kept.

Dino

Really?

I guess I see the point for the rule, but that stinks.

See, it’s a good thing this forum is here!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.