Bass Tournament on MilleLacs Lake

• davec
    St. Paul MN.

Team Supreme MN. 2nd stop of the year will be Millelacs Lake.June 12 Millelacs Lake MN/Macs Twin Bay Resort http://www.macstwinbay.com

Millelacs Lake has been starting to grow the rep. as one of the finest smallmouth fishierys in the state but it is the largemouth that is most over looked.

There has been very few money events since the smallmouth reg. went into effect,but I did talk to Mark from F.O.M and they held an event on Millelacs two years ago and Mark said,every team weighed-in largemouth and only 10% of the feild did not weigh-in a limit,there were no smallmouth weighed.

Kevin from Max Twin Bay Resort said Millelacs largemouth go mostly unfished and when anglers choose to go after largemouths they go to smaller lakes in the area.Kevin said it is not uncommon to have weekend anglers bringing in seven pound largremouth through-out the year.

Smallmouths can be weighed-in but must be over 21 inches by state reg.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I might have to fish this one. Whats the fee?

davec
    St. Paul MN.

I hooked a big bass sponsor.
    Scott at Trails End Pro Bass in Fridley #763-784-9080 will sponsor $250.00 to the team that can bring in the two largest smallmouths over 21″
    Scott is a Team Supreme member and we would like to thank Trails End Pro Bass Shop for there support.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Sorry Dave, count me out. I don’t agree with putting a bounty on those big gals.
    Good luck with the tourney.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Derek,this is not a bounty, there is no difference in a sponsor offering money for a tough task and holding a big bass pot.

Our anglers would be going after these fish with or with out a sponsored prize.

Derek what difference is there between a big bass pot and a sponsored prize that anglers don’t have to put money into.

The same D.N.R that put the 21″ restriction on the smallmouths is the same D.N.R that issued the permit for largemouth and smallmouth.

So if I understand you correctly you do not beleive in big fish pots and you do not fish any tournaments that have big fish pots.

Please let me know so I can understand why you feel this way.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Just due to the fact that those fish are not very abundant and those big fish could still be in spawn come tourney time.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

The Smallies and or Largemouth are pretty active in the mid-June time frame. Catching a bass and moving it from the bed it maybe in or guarding might not be in the best interest here? I would guess that the over 21 inch bass will be required to be weighed at Mac’s for the contest?

What plans are there for this contest? just wondering?

Thanks,

davec
    St. Paul MN.

This is a largemouth,smallmouth tourny, just as all Team Supreme Events are.

MN. reg.says one smallmouth over 21″.

This is a Team event, anglers can weigh-in a six fish limit with only two smallmouth over 21″.

If any team brings in a smallmouth under 21″ they will be DQ. for breaking MN state reg.

6212.2500 permit conditions sub 13, restrictions on negitive impact states that Permits may be denied for contest that the comissioner determines will have excessive negative impact on natural resources or that pose unacceptable safty risk for particpants.

It is obious that the commissioner does not feel this tourny will have a negitive impact on the resource.

As far as these fish may be on beds no one can predict when the spawn will happen.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Sorry Dave, count me out. I don’t agree with putting a bounty on those big gals.
    Good luck with the tourney

How is this any different than any other Big Bass Award?

There may be always be exceptions to this, but by mid-june, i’d say most bass have spawned out….so the whole talk of taking bass off beds doesn’t make sense to me

thoughts?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I’m new to the bass deal, so this has been some good conversation. Thanks for the replies!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Smallmouth were still on beds into late June last year on Mille lacs. It may or may not happen again. I’m not trying to compare “big fish pots” I just believe 21+ inch Mille lacs smallmouth are a specialty to the lake and possibly even the state. I would favor a 21+ inch catch and release if possible just like the Muskie tourney format.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I agree w/ya DJ, big fish like that are a specialty…and this issue will always be debated.. (holding tournies during spawning periods). Good topic ….

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Quote:

.[ I’m not trying to compare “big fish pots” I just believe 21+ inch Mille lacs smallmouth are a specialty to the lake and possibly even the state. ]
    Derick and bobber thanks for the imput,but saying they are a specialty to the lake possible the state.I beleive any smallmouth fishiery in the state that has good suppies of smallmouth have catchable amounts of large trophy smallmouths.I beleive that they are not unique just to Mille Lacs and they where abundent before the restrictions were put on these great fish.
    25 years ago nobody fished for largemouths in Leachlake and now that anglers pursue them, it is now considered one of the bigbass lakes in MN.
    I beleive this is true about Mille Lacs large mouths also.
    Dick Danz guide and tournament angler told me he has been targeting the Millelacs Largemouths for over twenty years.
    Thanks for the imput guys it is a great topic.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Quote:

I would favor a 21+ inch catch and release if possible just like the Muskie tourney format.

I didn’t know they kept the fish in tournaments? Aren’t all the bass released after the weigh-in during tourneys?

Also, aren’t there big walleyes brought to the scales during walleye tournaments at Mille Lacs? I’m assuming those are released after weigh-in as well? Would you consider prizes for biggest walleye in these tourneys also a bounty? Just trying to figure out the logic…

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Walleyes are more abundant. Mille lacs is suppose to be a no-kill tourney lake for walleyes and they are released after weigh-in. The catch and release format I was refering to is to measure or weigh fish on the water like in Muskie tourneys. It has been a great success. But I guess the DNR has more answers than I do, like Dave said. They approved the tourney.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I fished the Fishers of Men event a couple of years ago and there were some teams that really knew the lake well.

Zero was the number of Smallies brought in.

Why?
    #1 cause it has to be a legitimate 21″ and catching 1 let alone two that size is not an easy task. Because of this #2.

#2 Largemouth are the better gamble, the money is always in winning the tournament not big fish and so your time is best spent trying to get into the Largemouth’s. Some of which are hum dingers in their own right.

It seems to me that that the FOM tourny was won by Scott Bonnema and Paul Neumann with just under 20lbs for 5 fish all largies, and that was on a pretty good day for Smallmouth fishing, clear with little wind.

If any boater out there is looking for a partner for this one. I’ve got a really good largemouth spot that has produced nice fish the past three years straight. This is one tournament I wouldn’t mind Cherry Picking. I live 20min from the West end and could put my time in. I enjoy fishing that lake for Bass, it’s right up my alley. In fact one of my biggest largemouth of 2004 came from ML.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

BassPastor,I talk to Mark from F.O.M this weekend and he said that,the MilleLacs tourny that year was the funniest of the year.

Bass Pundit

Yeah, it was a great tournament. Fortunatly we had good weather and I think just about every team pulled a limit of largemouth. The Pre-Tournament dinner was faboulous and hosted by Mcquoid; we launched out of Mac’s.

I have no clue where the winning boats fished, apparently many of them were in the same area. My team really didn’t see another boat all day in our spot.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Basspastor,hope to see you at some Team Supreme events,i’m sure you are as intesting as your web site,if you are going to the Bass and Walleye Expo. we will be in booth #133

half2fish
    Wahkon, Minn.

wish i could afford a tourny but count me out too. but i would like to know where to find a large mouth in mille lacs. if anyone could help me on that topic it would be much appreated. i love to fish small mouth though. last summer i got 3 19.5 inchers (2 in the same day) but a friend of mine from colorado went out with me and slammed a 20 incher. it was huge if someone could tell me how to post a picture i would love to post it and get everyones opinion on how much it weighed. i would say close to 7.5lbs. u have to see this pic guyes.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Here is fish4fish’s smallmouth pic.

curt
    Winnebago, MN

Quote:

Walleyes are more abundant. Mille lacs is suppose to be a no-kill tourney lake for walleyes and they are released after weigh-in. The catch and release format I was refering to is to measure or weigh fish on the water like in Muskie tourneys. It has been a great success. But I guess the DNR has more answers than I do, like Dave said. They approved the tourney.

Derek,

I just wanted to say I sure appreciate your love for the smallmouth and the smallmouth fishery. Regardless of which end of the debate someone finds themselves, its the ultimate love of the fishery that keeps the sport alive. A 21 inch bronze back is a beautiful thing.

Curt

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Anglers take note of the night band that is in effect during this event,Team Supreme will update the MN.division schedule to read,take off for the MN. Division will take-off at 7:00am except for Okoboji,safe light till 3:00pm

Bass Pundit

Dave, unfortunatly no cash no fish. But I am gonna be out there and “mock” fish it. I bet I’ll be catching 4 and 5lbers so the lake can mock me. I’ll see yeah at the weigh in.

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

How is this any different than any other Big Bass Award?

There may be always be exceptions to this, but by mid-june, i’d say most bass have spawned out….so the whole talk of taking bass off beds doesn’t make sense to me

thoughts?

The small mouths haven’t spawned as of yet

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

you would think that they have by now. but as of last thursday the dnr electro shock boat that was at Mac twin bays said they weren’t up yet. the water temp was only 57-58 last thursday, I bet they are up right now with all the warm rain the last couple days.

synthes
    Plymouth, MN

I agree…maybe in some years, but this year they haven’t spawned yet.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Last year we were fishing and the males were guarding fry. It was the third week in June. I saw a couple that were still guarding the following week also.

Ron

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.