Good nights ahead on the big pond!

• DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Just wanted to drop a little tidbit here to all that is considering verturing out over the next week or two.
    The last couple nights we have seen some of the best fishing that I have witnessed yet this fall. We had a moon rise about 9:00pm last night and the fish never stopped biting from sundown…as the moon started to rise the fish got more and more aggressive. Give you an example, I was letting line out after boating a fish and after my lure got about half way out, there was a fish already on the other end! This happened twice last night. Making contact with about 6-9 fish per pass. AWESOME!

Unfortuantely, I had to cut the night short as it was just a buddy trip and had to get home for work in the early am this morning. Sure was ramping up to be one of those 50-60+ fish nights! This marked one of the first clear nights that I have had out there for the last 13 trips.

Not sure how many more trips I will be making up there this year…but with fishing like this I could be talked into a coupel more here and there before I make it back down to the river!

docternus
    Ramsey, Minnesota

Steve, I am going to try to get up there at least one more time this fall, hopefully next week. I understand it is suppose to get cold next week. We will see. Maybe I will see you up there.

Jesse

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Steve, were you fishing where you usually start off, where we seen you put in the last week? Thinking about going up tonight. Thanks, Brian

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Heading up tonight. However, I won’t be able to launch until after dark. Any tips on where to focus my efforts? This year, I have fished Rocky Reef once and Pike Point once (similar results at both locations even though very different structure). From the sounds of it, I am in for a good night of fishing. Thanks.

Brett

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Brett, I will also be launching after dark. I will be around Pikes point. PM me and I’ll give you my number and we can compare notes on the water. Chappy

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Steve, You liar!!!!! We drove all the way up there for that??? yes we did. Brett nice to meet you. Kinda. We pulled a multiple of different plugs and sizes and shapes at different speeds and caught a big fat 1 northern @ 4#.There were 4 boats out there fishing and it,shall we say SUCKED! We tried different depths,weeds,no weeds and there just was no waleye to be found. That’s my report,and I’m sticking to it!!!!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I will be heading up there tonight for some great fishing as Steve Mentioned. This is the time of the year when paying attention to you electronics really pay off. Can’t wait, it appears to be a great night for the pond minus the wind.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

Steve, You liar!!!!! We drove all the way up there for that??? yes we did. Brett nice to meet you. Kinda. We pulled a multiple of different plugs and sizes and shapes at different speeds and caught a big fat 1 northern @ 4#.There were 4 boats out there fishing and it,shall we say SUCKED! We tried different depths,weeds,no weeds and there just was no waleye to be found. That’s my report,and I’m sticking to it!!!!

Chappy,

Look here for my rates…..
    http://www.stevedezurik.com Just kidding!

They were on the chew the last several nights in that area and a tad south of there. As alphid mentioned, little things can make a huge difference this time of year. Not sure what to tell you however….They are there!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It was likely the fisherman Steve. You can only help some guys so much!!!

I envy you guys. I wish I could get back up there.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Hey, Go pee in someones shoe fowler!!!! I know steve, They were there but I don’t know what it was, 4 boat sstarted and by 2 they were all gone! Targeted the 8-10 feet range ,even ventured out to 13-15 for a while. Those fish had me miffed!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

What speeds were you running Chappy? I know the week before, we didn’t vary much from 1.5 to 1.8. We were just ticking the tops of the weeds with HJ’s. You going back up anytime soon??

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

This dog don’t hunt and so I pulled an all nighter 11/5to 11/6. I was on the water about 6:30PM. Within the first 10 minutes I had a 20″ in the boat and I’m thinking it’s gonna be good. Unfortunatly it was slow, and by 10Pm when I went in to warm my feet up and eat, I only had one more 23″ come in and a single other miss.

When I was up eating two boats came in. One had gotten only one and missed a couple. Another boat that had been down at Indian had gotten 6 and the guy said all were 26″ or better with the biggest being a hefty 29″ that he said was probably 10lbs.

Naturally, when I got done snacking I headed up to Indian hoping as the moon came up the fish would start smacking. For the third straight attempt, Indian Point wasn’t even good for a single strike and I lost a shad rap

I then decided to try some all new water and headed North to keep my Wig Warm. I found a weedbed and got two chunky 26″ers and a 24.” and I missed 3 hits as well. Fishing those standing weeds is a pain but those 26’s were my biggest so far this fall; The first one hit as I was letting out line.

I’ll be out again tonight with a couple of buddies in a red Lund. My general feeling about last night was the fish wanted it slow and were not real active, the only one that really smacked it was the one that hit while I was letting out line. Maybe tonight they will start chewing a bit better.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Got out last night and had an awesome display of northern lights blaring down on me!
    The bite was a little slower for me than it was the late last week. Boated 3 and lost 5 in a couple hours effort. Dramatic Zig Zag trolling patterns at 1.5 mph worked best for me and got bit almost exclusively on the insde turn. Bomber Pro 14A’s took all of my fish. If I dropped the speed down to 1.0-1.2mph…no bites.

I think that was my last trip up to Mille Lacs for the year unless someone twists my arm. Plenty of good fishing to be had yet as long as weather continues to stay as we are currently. I had 44.8 degrees water temp last night.

I am off to the river……

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.