Mille Lacs Trolling Question

• micah-witham
    Richfield

Last night I went to the pond with a friend in a bigger Lund Pro-V and we got blew off the west side of the lake…it was nasty and downright dangerous. I’m going back out tonight in my boat which is much smaller and want to know where you find fish on the east side as I have never trolled over there at night in the fall. Anyone know of spots that are good this time of year close to shore and on the east side?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Micah,

East winds are definately tough on the west side thats for sure. If you are heading out on the east side, I reccomend putting in at the Wharf (SE side)and fishing Big Point and the Doe Island area. This area gets a little busy around sundown, but boaters tend to clear out around 11 or midnight. My best luck in this area came on the north side of the doe island spine in 7-11 foot areas. Starting at the island and troll straight west. Its a nice long troll that gave us some good 50+ fish nights in years past. If it continues to blow that hard from the east, you may find me over there as well in the coming nights. Big Point area has trolling grounds all around the point that should be considered, same depth here has worked best for me.

These are just some of my good areas in the years past. There are some good anglers that fish the east side way more than I do to give you a better starting game plan to help you out.
    Hope this helps you a bit and Good luck!
    Please let us know how you do!

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Here are a few other places Hennipen Island,In front of Liberty beach and Hunters point,Lakeside reef,Flamingo reef,Agate bay,3 Mile reef

micah-witham
    Richfield

Steve, thanks a ton for the information…that helps so much. I tried to post a report but I was not able to figure it out. Can only certain members post fishing reports or am I just not looking in the right place? As far as last night, we ended up getting off the east side (after just chewing up our prop and taking in a ton of water just trying to get through that narrow opening where we put in last year) and we went to Isle. We trolled the west side of the bay along Father Hennepin State Park and found a nice trough between to 7ft weedlines where we picked up four fish in about 30 minutes. Pulling HJ12 Firetiger and a Rogue Lazer Craw. We only got bit when the moon poked through the clouds and then it was gone along with our bite. How did you do?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Micah,

The report section of IDA is reserved for Field Staff and ProStaff members only. Right here is the place for you to put up a post of your findings. Glad you found some fish!

If you or anyone you know is interested in applying for Field or Pro Staff here at IDA, feel free to contact James Holst, Chris Tuckner, or myself to get an application snet via email to you.

Good luck you over the next week~

tmackenthun
    Webster, MN

Steve, curious if the bite tends to fluctuate with cloudy/rainy weather that has or will be moving in through Friday? Was planning to head up tomorrow/Friday, but may need to rethink. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

micah-witham
    Richfield

Steve, tried to email you through the site here but I’m having troubles..I would love to receive a copy of the application for staff. I’m very interested. By the way, where is the “wharf” landing exactly. i have a map but it doesn’t show it as that name?

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

The wharf is located on Big Point drive. About 5 miles north of Isle. Just north of Hwy. 18 intersection on Hwy. 47 north.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

Steve, curious if the bite tends to fluctuate with cloudy/rainy weather that has or will be moving in through Friday? Was planning to head up tomorrow/Friday, but may need to rethink. Any thoughts?

tmack,
    Every given night is a bit different, but most importantly is switching to different colors, depths and speeds can make the difference in triggering fish to bite.
    My general rule of thumb is darker profiles in overcast nights and brighter colors in clear nights. I have very little luck day in and day out on chromes and high flash lures in overcast skies. The fish use the darkness to their advantage and darker colors show up better to them. It appears as a silouette more than anything. The chromes appear to excel with a little help from the clear skies and the moon. This has just been my experience!

Micah,
    PM me and I will get you a application.
    The Fisherman’s wharf is just south of Big Point on the SE corner of the lake. Look for the big Flagship/Fisherman’s Wharf sign on the west side of hwy 47.

Good luck to you guys!

docternus
    Ramsey, Minnesota

Micah, I have fished agate bay all the way down to flamingo. It can be some awsome fishin. Rite in front of agate bay resort (not sure that is its actual name) is agate reef. Find it on your map. It runs for a long way, maybe 500 yards? It goes fron 25 feet to 7 feet real quick. My luck had always been in 7-10 feet with clown colored rogues and rapalas. Be very careful, the water is down and the hazards are off. The north side of the reef is pretty safe but still use caution, hate to see you lose a prop. Agate is kind of an ace in the hole for us guys with smaller boats when the wind is out of the west, but I still think the east and north side weeds are better! Good luck buddy.
    Jesse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.