My Biggest Pike in MN

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Caught my biggest pike in MN trolling for Eyes. Trolling a jointed #13 Rapala in 7 FOW. @ 2 in the morning! Hit like a fricking MACK truck. Thought I hooked a rock and almost tore the rod out of my hand. Had to flip it in nuetral and once the boat slowed I felt a few head pulls and thought to myself this is no Walleye! After a great battle, a few pics, she was released.

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

Beautiful….wonder what she was doing up so late??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Last fall in October we were seeing 1 – 40″ northern every other night and on our best night we had 3. So much for that talk about northerns not feeding after dark.

Congrats. How long was she?

ted-merdan

I am not a real big fan of pike so it pains me to say this but ‘nice pike’. It does make it worth while when you catch one to have it be a nice one! What do you estimate it weighed?

ted

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Dang dude, that is a big pig!!!!!!!!

What did she weigh and how long!?!?!?!?

Very nice!!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Congrats Rob!
    She a mule.
    Where did you catch her……so I can stay away!!

Like James mentioned the pike we on the chew as well as the muskies. We made contact with a muskie just about every night last October. Our best night was boated a 46″ and lost two more and the boat side.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It really pays to measure them! I have a 40″ on my wall from Canada thinking I wouldn’t get one bigger. Three years ago on Mille Lacs, I caught 2 46″ in one night! It put my wallhanger to shame!
    Nice fish!
    Tuck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Guys! Sorry for the dealy in response. I went on a bow hutning excursion in ND. I also thought Northerns only fed during the light??? I thought for sure it was a muskie! Caught her on the Northern East Side Rocks. She Slammed a Yellow and Silver/White Jointed Rapala. Ealrier that night a little ways North of there I had the same color Rapala on and the same thing happened, only I never saw this fish. This one broke me off before I could get it to the boat . She measured slightly longer than 43″. I never got a weight on her, wanted to get her back in the water. It all happened so fast. Does anyone have an idea approx. how big that would be?? She definitely had a feed bag on, real thick.

The next two passes on that spot produced a 27″ eye and a 19″ Smallie. The eye hit a firetiger and the smallie hit the same rapala as above. Man am I pumped to get back on the water. !

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I had a big pike on last fall one morning just after daylight. Hook netted the fish only to have it lay crossways on the net. I did’nt want anything to do with the fish…..only wanted the shadrap back! It was in the high 40″s…….fall northern pike are nice and fat!

not many pike are actitive in the darkness…….most go just after daylight!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The fish looks fairly girthy. At a minimum of 20 inches, probably closer to 21, maybe even 22…..

I would guess you are in the solid mid 20lb class.

My biggest pike was 45.5, with a 22.5 girth. She came in at 28lb, 13oz.

There are alot of big pike in the pond. Bigger than what most people realize. A buddy of mine just hooked a “long” 47″ (he thought that it may have been more of 48, but he just couldn’t beleive it……) The fish was VERY girthy. This fish should of tipped the scales past 30lbs with ease…..

The calculation for pike is pretty dead on……length x girth x girth / 800…..

BigDaddyEE

Using the common formula for determining the weight of muskies (L x G x G / 800) the fish is likely 17-19 pounds. I gave you credit for 43.25″ x 18″ girth…you can monkey with the numbers if you felt is was fatter than that.

Great picture of the fish…nice job with supporting the body of the fish, as well. It’s important to provide the additional support for these bigger fish to minimize damage during handling.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Guys! Gary you are right she was real thick with some hefty shoulders on her. I wish I would have got a girth measurement or put a scale to her. I guess this “Walleye Guy” just got a little excited and I wanted to get her back as soon as possible. I guess that was the most important thing! Maybe I will tangle with her again this weekend???? Thanks for the weight estimates!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Beautiful! I don’t know if I’m going to be able to make another trip to the pond before first ice but this sure gets a guy wondering about possibilities!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.