Anything happening on Mille Lacs

• BigDaddyEE

Good morning all,

Does anyone have any news to report regarding the musky fishing on Mille Lacs as of late? I’m heading up tomorrow and am curious to know what the recent weather has done to the fishing. Surprisingly enough, the colder weather seems to have set off a firestorm of activity around a few of the metro lakes and am hoping for something similar on the big pond. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Check out a post I just made in the Mille Lacs bass forum. A fantastic trolling bite kicked up on the north end sand over the weekend. A 54″ ‘ski was taken along with numbers of others.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Instead of making you dig for it… not that it is that helpful but for what it’s worth…

Quote:

Muskie action was on FIRE on the north end. We stopped in to Cataways for a burger and talked with a guy that had pictures of his last 2 days on the lake. 10 legal ‘skis on Saturday, 3 on Sunday including a very huge and very DEAD 54″ beast that thay paraded around the restaurant for 45 minutes. All caught trolling big plugs.

BigDaddyEE

The cooler weather has apparently done the same thing to Mille Lacs as it has to a few lakes around the metro area, as my partner and I saw some amazing fish on Saturday morning on the north end.

We were on the lake by 6:15 and had a fish in the boat at 7:10 that went 51×20 on a black bucktail/silver blade. Over the course of the rest of the morning we had 5 more fish aggressively follow glide baits, bucktails and topwater without committing. We used every trick in the book to make them commit, as each fish was right on the bait it was following…i.e. no lazy followers. For whatever reason, they wouldn’t open their yaps for a bite…that’s just musky fishing, I guess.

The last thing I’ll add is a comment regarding the size of the fish we saw. In addition to the 51″ that my partner caught, 3 of the fish that we had up were absolute tankers, including one that simply made us laugh after it decided to leave the area. I know those of you who fish Mille Lacs on a regular basis have seen fish of this caliber and may have grown accustomed to it….for someone who has just begun to try and learn the lake a bit, I couldn’t have been more amazed.

With the exception of the last fish (shallow), everything we saw came from casting from the base of the breakline to the top of the shelf and working our baits over the edge.

I’m interested to hear if anyone else was on the pond this weekend and had similar experiences with the larger fish.

Eric

P.S. My new motto is “fat girls rule!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.