Water temps & weed growth

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Two quick questions guys…

1)- What’s the water temps been at the last times out?

2)- How’s the weed growth compared to past years? Seems like it’s been a bit of a cool summer and I’d heard the veggies were well behind schedule 3 or 4 weeks back and was wondering if they went and caught themselves up or if they’re less developed than most seasons?

Thanks in advance guys.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I played around with the smallies today and found the temp at 70 deg’s. The weed line down by Breakers is down a bit from last year. Hook is fishing a Muskie contest this weekend. He will have more info on weeds!

Only one bass for may efforts today, too much wind for this bass boy! I havn’t been on the water much lately…….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If I remember right the temp was at 72 degrees the first part of Sept. last year when I first made it up for the fall trolling bite. That made for super smallie fishing but the walleye bite was a tad stubborn for the first couple nights of pre-fishing.

Thanks Bobber. I hope Tim does well.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well where the heck you been you mille lacs lake guy you?! I haven’t seen anything from you on the big lake. Figured you gave it up for big gills somewhere.

How was ND?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Gol dangit James, It’s SD. We can not be lumped in with the guys from ND. They play hockey and do all kind so goofy stuff up there. I hope Kevin doesn’t see this.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ooops. Me so sorry!… lol

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

This past weekend was the first time I actually fished purposely fished weeds on the lake so I don’t have much to base my information on. The weeds on the west side near Vineland were coming up pretty thick 4 to 6 feet up off the bottom in 10 to 15 feet of water. There were also sporadic weed growth not too far below the surface at these depths too. Hooks could respond to this better since he was watching the electronics most of the weekend, I just notice the weeds that were just below the surface.

Josh

P.S. Whats wrong with those ND guys?!!! LOL

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Josh framed it up pretty well. The weeds are heavy in 10 foot of water and less, more sporadic in the deeper edges but come right up to the surface in places. Our fish came from the edges where the weeds were sporadic. Fish are common to see on the surface cruising now.

scottsteil
    Central MN

There have been years I have been able to pull the tops in 12-14 ft of water. This year is not one of them. I would look for the same weeds we had last year.

The spot you are thinking about is very thick this year, you better bring the top water.LOL

I have been chasing bites all over. Some on Mille Lacs,but mostly on all my “other” favorites. I am using this break from Tournament fishing to get in on a bunch of great bites. Mille Lacs has had very good coverage from all the Mille Lacs guys, so I have been focusing my reports on other lakes that can use some help.

I will be back doing my Mille Lacs reporting this winter again though

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I saw those Lb + gillies you caught. That’s just NUTZ! Say, this year if you’re kind enough to offer me a chance to spend a night in one of your shacks I promise not to be egg-headd enough to be too busy to get there! Those early ice walleyes even interest this river guy.

BigDaddyEE

I was up on the pond searching for toothy critters on west side of the lake and found good weeds north of the Garrison landing, all the way up past the Harbor Inn, as well as south of Pikes Point. Further south, we found good weed growth on either side of the Sha Bash Kung landing as well.

Similar depths/descriptions as reported above.

Eric

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

64 degrees yesterday(8/12).

Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.