Mille Lacs Smallies

• Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

Spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday chasing the bronzebacks. If you have time to make the trip it is well worth it. I took my father and 9 year old son out and they had a blast!

My son landed a 20″ fish and dad lost a bigger one. I don’t believe we had a fish under 18″ either day. The pattern was pretty simple: tubes, rock piles and docks. Dad did something that seemed odd at the time, until he started catching more fish than the rest of us. He was actually trolling the tube behind the boat instead of casting.

Would like to show you some photos but the digital camera had to stay home this weekend for my daughters birthday party.

Best of luck to any who venture out!

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Which side of the lake were you fishing? Not looking for specifics, just general. We were up last weekend and fished the rock piples on the south end with fair success. We didn’t hit them until late morning and I think they had been hit pretty hard by then. Did you notice a time of day that was better? The ones we did catch sure were a blast though! Thanks for the info.

Brian

limitfish
    Le Claire, Ia

I’m Going to fish Mille Lacs this weekend (Sunday night and Monday)would appreciate a little insight too. Was hoping for a little topwater action, the wife is going with and has never expierenced a 3 pound smallie explode on a Pop’r.Also currious what color range of tubes to bring. We are staying in Isle.Thanks.

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

I fished the less beaten west and northwest part of the lake. Our best luck was on Saturday between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Spoke to a guy on Sunday who said the later afternoon bite is usually the best.

Tube colors were on the natural side of things. Mostly crawfish, pumpkinseed and brown colors.

We tried the topwaters based on reports I had been given by some friends. However, I hadn’t seen much surface activity and the fish just wouldn’t touch them. I had hoped it would have worked for my son to take a few on topwaters.

Be prepared for a heck of a fight. One 18″ fish snapped a 7′ Cabela’s spinning rod that my son was using.

Best of luck to everyone who is going this weekend and let us know how you did.

There’s an article that recently appeared in the Brainerd Daily Dispatch that might be of some help. Search on “Bassin with Roach”.

http://brainerddispatch.com

Good Fishing!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

found the article, not much new with smallies and tubes. sounded like a good day. am waiting for some topwater action and will try and make it up there. Jack..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.