Mille Lacs October Full Moon Report

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

After what seemed like forever, but was really only about 2 months, of being away from my favorite lake due to a new addition to our family it was awesome to finally get back up. Having read the less than stellar reports and talking with several friends I knew it would probably be a grind, but there is still no place I’d rather spend an October full moon weekend than back home on the pond.

Heading out from Fishers on Friday we were greated by much rougher conditions than I was expecting with 3-4′ rollers pushing in towards the NE corner. Using the Terrova was a lifesaver as it allowed us to hold our course in spite of the waves, but quick changes of direction weren’t possible so once we did find a few active fish holding on a reef we weren’t able to quickly get out baits back in their face. In spite of the tough conditions we did manage to go 7-9 in just over 3 hours of fishing which wasn’t too bad based on what I was hearing from others.

I placed a few calls on Saturday afternoon (Thanks a ton to Nate, aka GrainBeltEyes, and Chris, aka Wabasha24, for sharing info) and headed out to the deer stand for an evening sit still undecided about where to head for our for our prime night of trolling. It was a gorgeous evening watching a few does and even having a couple coyotes run across the field and as the wind died down I decided that we were going to give the East side one more try thinking that better conditions would allow me to cover more water and more precisly stay on my reefs once we found fish. Everyone else was heading West and I thought it would be great to have a little West coast/East coast battle so to say. We hit the water about 8:30 with the moon already up and shining bright. After only a few minutes we were on the board and were up to 2 fish within the first half hour, but they were on the smaller side and we decided to try out a few other reefs… Which was a mistake. We finally boated our 3rd fish (and last) fish of the evening at 12:30. Definitly not the results I was expecting, but it was still awesome to get back out! The West coast guys definitly got the better of us this time but there’s always next time!

Our best results (actually pretty much the only pattern that worked for us at all) were long lining rattling glass shad raps 135-200′ out in 13-17 FOW at 1.6-1.8 mph.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

We forgot the camera (usually that’s good luck) so only took a few pics with the cell phone.

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Nice job Will! I hope to get out one more time before I transition to chasing white tail. Thanks for trading info. It always makes the chase a little easier and more exciting!

With the two little ones at home – It may or may not happen.

grainbelteyes
    Waconia

Nice recap Will. It seems the bite is a crapshoot right now with some nights better than others. We got all our fish by 930 on Saturday evening without a bite from 930 to 1am. Our partner boat fishing the same area caught fish all night long… thanks for comparing notes. Hopefully we can all make it out one more time and find a few more fall fish before hard water sets in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.