On the pond chub’n the Fatties

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Saturday night I had planned to make a night run. Just as soon as the coupler on the boat trailer dropped on to the ball, my phone rang. It was the call most husbands hate to hear: “The car is making a strange loud noise. What do you want me to do?”

It was 7 p.m. once I finished getting the car home and repaired. At that time I decided to forget about that nights trolling and made a trip up this a.m.

We had a fairly simple plan: Rig the deeper water directly adjacent to the shallows with large rainbow chubs. We did not tear up the fish today, but we did find some quality fish and a few for the box.

We employed a #4 octopus hook, 3/8 sinker, about a seven foot leader and a large minnow hooked through the lips. We moved slowly (.3 to .5 GPS) either hugging the weed line or tight to the break. Depths seemed to be between 13 and 16 feet of water.

I have attached a couple of pictures. The second picture is a double that ended our day.

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Nice looking fish!
    Mille Lacs has produced well this season.

crossneyes
    central MN

we fished Saturday deep and had a 24″ average on 10 fish. Not on fire but nice fish had couple to take home and some nice smallies too. Man was there alot of people pulling the shoreline sat. nite on the northwest side

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Well done!

-J.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Great report! With all the trolling reports it’s nice to see they’re still hitting during daylight hours as well

So what was the strange loud noise?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

So what was the strange loud noise?

The belt tensioner failed.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks like you guys did better during the day than we did after dark.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.