Leech Lake May 14-17

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

First time on open water on Leech for me, staying on the Southeast side. Just bought a Hot Spots map, anyone have opinions regarding places like, Campbells Reef, Peilican or Bear Island areas. Looking at the map as a whole reminds me “man this is a big lake.”

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

My first opener on Leech also. We’re staying at Federal Dam campground and I have no idea where to fish but in the water. I do however have a brother inlaw going that pretty much only knows that lake so I guess my boat and partner will be playing chase to him and his partner. Good Luck to you!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Follow the boats! West side of Bear island in 9-12 FOW and just South of 5 mile point is always good. Just outa’ Federal Damn to the South always works well also in that same FOW. Good luck! With all the stocked fish in their its goona’ be a good openor there. Chartruese and a shiner/fathead always works best for me on leech…RR

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

I taked to a buddy who was up there over the weekend and it sounds like the fishing was just crazy good. How’d you guys end up doing?

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

We stayed at Federal Dam and fished everything between North Star resort and Five mile point. The fishing on Saturday for us was consistent. We caught a lot of fish in the bottom of the slot and were only able to keep a few. Most of the day was spent using jig and shiner. Sunday morning I got up early and went out to just try trolling in the shallow area just out from the channel going to the dam. Pulling F-9’s I found out real fast that the fish were there. I caught many 20″-24″ walleyes and a limit of keepers and a added bonus of two 10lb northerns. Went back to get the rest of the group at 7:30 and went back out till about 10-10:30 and had the same bite until things started to warm up. On Sunday we probably had to release 3-4 slot fish for every fish under the slot. Now hopefully the bite is good on Cass this week as I will be there the 13-17.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.