Leech Lake Area Report

• Anonymous

September 17, 2001

SUBJECT: Leech Lake Area Report

PHONE: 218.547.3212

As water temperatures on Leech Lake are now around 60 degrees fish have moved into their fall spots. Walleyes are now biting in 11-14’ of water using Roach Rigs tipped with minnows and crawlers. 60″ snells working best. Some fish being caught on Northland Fire-Ball Jigs tipped with a minnow in these same areas. The rule has been to jig and minnow when the wind is blowing and to live bait rig in calm weather. The hot areas include Five Mile Point, Sugar Point Bar, Goose Island and Sand Point. Perch have also really been in hot in 5-8’ of water near the Walker narrows. Small Gypsi jigs tipped with minnows or Berkley Power Grubs under a bobber producing good jumbo perch in the 8-11″ range. Muskie continue to be strong on Leech with this being some of the best fishing all season. Pelican reef, Portage bay and Agency Bay having very active fish. Topwater baits and small Lily Tail Bucktails enticing fish to eat.

Mixed reports from the hunters this past weekend with heavy cover deterring some hunters as some grouse flushed however getting shots was difficult. This will obviously improve as leaves fall. Youth Hunters report good numbers of local ducks flying making the youth waterfowl hunt in this area fun.

Enjoy time with family in the outdoors this fall!

Leech Lake Guide Coalition

Anonymous

Dman, great report. I passed on your report, on the air and gave you (Leech Lake Guide Coaliation) a plug on my weekly radio fishing report on the Fishing Line Radio Fishing Report Show. It airs each Thursday at 9am on KOWZ 100.9fm.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hawger, I have no ties to the Leech Lake Coaliation other than I get the weekly report from them. I pass it on too the board here being we have no reporter checking in from that area. Pretty good report they put out though. I will check out your show, thanks.

Dman

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.