Thoughts From A Leech Lake Rookie

• steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

While not considering pulling roots from my Lake Mille Lacs home, I chose to move the guide boat to Leech Lake for the entire 2014 open water season–at least for a few years–not looking back. After 48 years of guiding on mighty Lake Mille Lacs.

After having spent 25 plus years breaking down new walleye water ( to me) around the country while fishing all the major national walleye tourney’s and getting lucky a few times, I approached Leech as being “new” to me even though I had spent several weeks over the years on the lake while competing in PWT/local tourney’s and doing a few guide trips as well.

So to answer questions many have had of me lately, here’s a little run down on my first full month on Leech….as a rookie guide.

1. Although Leech is smaller than Lake Mille Lacs, surface water -wise, it fishes much BIGGER than Lake Mille Lacs and many other lakes as well. Why? I view Leech, and feel most should as well, as at least 4 lakes in one with many miles of shoreline related potential walleye haunts–some being obvious, others being hidden jewels. 4 lakes in one? Well–I see Walker Bay, the three major bays– Sucker and Steamboat Bay and Portage Bay, the area boxed in if you draw a line from Ottertail to Bear Island, then to Stoney Point ( including Traders Bay) and then over to Pine Point through Grand View and across to the northwest shore (as in crossing the eastern narrows entrance), over to Big Hardwood to 2nd Duck and then back to Ottertail, and Agency Bay. ( to me, Agency is a lake by itself–no doubt). And without doubt, each “lake” is unique and each needs to be fished with an individual mindset. No doubt, certain bait and presentations work on one “lake” but not the others at the same time.

To say the least, my learning curve has been taxing on my weather beaten brain ( and body).lol

2. No doubt, fishing can and most likely will be good in the “community” spots/areas. With that, it can be hard to stay out of those areas of bumper boats when all else fails. That said, I’ve been able to find and successfully fish some off the beaten path walleye haunts. Many being of the same pattern the community spots offer–and allowing more ease of fishing without having to be concerned of other boats being in the path of attack. Of course, my goal has been and will continue to find fishy spots that go unmolested for the most part. ( harder than I thought it would be so far but doable–no doubt.)

3. Leech walleyes will bite fairly good in calm water ( more times than not and contrary to the typical train of thought) , even in less than 10 ft. of water, with an approach taking the calmness into serious consideration.

4. Like most walleye meccas such as Leech now is, most “areas” have “spots on the spots”. A prime example would be the famous Duck Point. Seems that Duck is made up of numerous subtle humps–shallowing up 1- maybe 2.5 ft. only and mostly being less than 1500 square ft. on the top surface, that are harder than the surrounding bottom. Purposely studying those humps make-up, I find that they ( the subtle humps) could be considered “clam beds”. Each hump could be a great slip bobber spot in itself, but god forbid in those heavy traffic areas if a 100 ft. of anchor rope would be in place. LOL (I tried it once and had a boat drift TWO FEET from my gunwale–while my bobbers were sinking quite regularly! I learned fast and pulled the anchor and tucked my tail–as the guy asked casually, while passing within an arms reach of me–” whatcha usin’ for bait?” lol)

5. My catch rates, size-wise, have been about 3 to 1 of bigger than 20″–most being 21″-23″ and about 1 in 10 being over 24″-25″. That said, some spots, no doubt, have more small fish than others and that ratio is the opposite in those spots. Numbers-wise, my catch rates have been about 4-5 fish per hour average if I actually fish an area/spot for any length of time. Many days so far, I have been doing more hunting than fishing. As usual, one can come into a new spot and catch a quick half dozen and then it settles down and averages out to the 4 fish or so per hour for the day or half day.

6. And finally, after spending a month on the shores of Leech Lake, from Steamboat to Walker to Whipholt, my stay has been very pleasant. For an “outsider”, that’s a good thing…thanks to all!

Now back to being the humbled rookie guide (after 48 years of being at the helm) and making a gallant attempt to be as good as the likes of Maas, Woodruff, Shriver, Gwinn, Wilson, Christianson and …oh my!!

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Interesting read, I didn’t know you switched up but can certainly understand.

Even being a bass guy, if I was to ask the average Mille Lacs walleye angler what are the main presentations they use, I think I would be pretty familiar with most of the concepts. i.e. fishing bobbers on the reefs in wind, rigging on gravel and sand in spring, flats in late spring/summer. Trolling cranks in summer over the flats and in no man’s land etc.

How do you (or anybody else) think the average Leech Lake walleye guy would respond and how close to that are you fishing?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

Interesting read, I didn’t know you switched up but can certainly understand.

Even being a bass guy, if I was to ask the average Mille Lacs walleye angler what are the main presentations they use, I think I would be pretty familiar with most of the concepts. i.e. fishing bobbers on the reefs in wind, rigging on gravel and sand in spring, flats in late spring/summer. Trolling cranks in summer over the flats and in no man’s land etc.

How do you (or anybody else) think the average Leech Lake walleye guy would respond and how close to that are you fishing?

Average Leech angler would have a much shorter vocabulary–no doubt. And for good reason–most of the time before mid-June in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

If it ain’t a jig/minnow at Leech, or a big maybe– a rig/livebait combo, an even bigger maybe–spinner bouncer rig, it probably is not happenin’. Tough to argue with the jig/minnow success the first few weeks of the season–if one finds the fish of course. But that all said, I have purposely forced myself to go non-traditional Leech Lake methods and done well–much better than the jiggers at times. Of course, I have caught plenty on jigs and minnows like the rest. And failed a few times also…

Simply, no matter at Leech or other places, one has to adapt to the scenario/weather one finds the fish or one has to fish. No doubt, every method you mention above has a time and place at Leech Lake no less than anywhere else. I’ve had big days on leadcore/cranks, bobbers in bobber type scenarios, finesse rigs/livebait etc. etc.

The challenge at Leech compared to a lake like Mille Lacs, is that there is a lot more shallow ( less than 10-11ft.) of fishy haunts compared to fishy deep water haunts–just because there is much more shallow water generally. But that said, where it is deeper, one can find loads of walleyes and fish the methods accordingly–and has to at times when the shallow fish are hard to find or hard to make bite. ( this past Tuesday was a prime example as even with a big wind on the main lake “good spots”, the jig bite was hard to make happen from what I heard. But I and another guy landed 17 walleyes in a couple hrs. of lines in the water in twice the normal depths of the jiggin’ spots–5 nice keepers and 12 over 20″–Mille Lacs type deep water livebait rigs.)

I think the bobber bite in shallow water at Leech is highly over looked. As is the deep water leadcore bite. I doubt I have even come close to scratching the surface in either regard…

LOL Being an “outsider”, I am just trying to stay out of the way. All I know is–it is one BIG lake!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.