Upper Iowa River Update

• Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Went fishing this weekend on the Upper Iowa River in Northeast Iowa and did fairly well! The river was in good shape, maybe a little low but good. Caught several really nice smallies and walleyes fishing spinner baits and small jigs. Of course the big one got away! again! There was very little fishing pressure and the fish seemed to respond well and bit very aggressively.

honda75
    Iowa

Did you fish the normal stretch that we fish??????????? We need to hit the turkey again as well.

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Yes we did! The Turkey has not been producing for awhile. We went camping at Litdke Park so that I could get some quality water time!

honda75
    Iowa

Quality water time huh!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you float the cooler.

janning

Hey guys, new to the site here and its good to hear a report about the Upper Iowa. I was actually just trying to get my buddies to make a trip up there this weekend do try some fishing on the river. I was wondering where the Litdke campsite is located and if you have any other suggestions for campsites. Thanks for the help!
    janning

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Sorry for such a late reply. But if it helps, Litdke park is located just north of Lime Springs and is right on the river by the dam. There are other campgrounds all the way down the river to the mississippi. But Litdke is located right on the Iowa/Minnesota border. If I can be of any more help just send me a pm. Thanks, Chunk

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Another update on the Upper Iowa River, my brother had fished it last weekend and landed a beautiful 27.5″ walleye. Plus a few smaller ones. The fishing has really turned around on this section of the river.

honda75
    Iowa

I will bet with all the rain around Roch. it is well out of its banks right now.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Was up to Elkader sunday and the Turkeys 8″ high right now, the volgas the same and brown, not a good time for Volga smallies. It might be pretty fair for catfish on the Turkey, they got alot of rain around that area late sunday afternoon as it was the same front coming from Minn. and Wisc.

honda75
    Iowa

ah if you fish the turkey you got to fish it right where it starts. We get smallies, eyes, largemouth, crappies, bluegills, and northern. Of course not right where it starts we just trap that part and hunt along it.

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

I would not recommend fishing the upper Iowa at this point, she is way out of its banks . It may be awhile now. Thank you mother nature!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.