Where to try

• mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Looks like I finally have a couple of days, Thursday/Friday, to go fishing, when the temperatures aren’t hovering around freezing and the wind isn’t producing two or three foot rollers. Only problem is that the rivers around here are running a lot higher then I’d like to try.

I saw Vikefan’s report on crappies at Macbride, so I was thinking I might try crappie at some of my old haunts. It’s been about 15 years since I’ve been on them but, was thinking about lake Hawthorn, lake Iowa, or maybe lake Darling. (Anywhere else for that matter.)

Anybody been on them or heard any reports lately?

Really just need to get the boat wet. It’s been so long that the aluminum is starting to dry out and crack.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I haven’t heard any current reports on any of those lakes, and haven’t been on Iowa or Darling since I was a kid, I do know that the populations in Hawthorn have been good, but they seem a little stunted, average size has been pretty suspect the last few years. Diamond might be a good option for better size of fish if you’re in that area anyway.

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Sean

I’ve heard the same thing about Hawthorn. Although from what I’ve seen on the Iowa DNR picture page (2005), it’s become a pretty good bass lake, if you’re into that kinda thing.

A couple of guys at work really like Iowa lake for ice fishing. However, your suggestion of Diamond lake is interesting. Funny thing is, I’ve been past there I don’t know how many times, and have never stopped and tried it!

Maybe new water is just the ticket! Thanks for the suggestion! If I go, I’ll let you know.
    Thanks!!!!

VikeFan

I *might* try fishing Macbride tomorrow after work. A week of very cold temps and high pressure should make fishing for early spring reservoir crappies a real picnic. It is not as if the forecast for the rest of the week is any better, though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.