Fishing Northeast Iowa Lakes?

• Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Anyone having any luck on Lake Meyer, Lake Hendricks or Volga Lake in northeast Iowa. Been looking for a place to try for panfish in northeast Iowa.

canoli
    Waterloo, IA

I fish Volga quite a bit. The bluegill spawn is amazing there. You can catch slabs all day during the spawn using anything…poppers, cranks, twister tails, hell, I’ll bet you could use a bottle cap and rake ’em in. Great black AND white crappies too. I also like the LM bass fishing. It’s a very clean lake. You can yank in 2-3 lb’ers all morning on most summer days.

But if you REALLY want some fun, try the Volga River in nearby Fayette. Throw on a pair of waders when the water is slightly up and you can easily catch your limit of smalles. It’s a steep climb down to the “river” (calling it a river is generous at most times), but it’s worth it.

As far as Meyer Lake, do you mean Meyers Lake in Evansdale, IA? I live near there, and it’s good for gills and crappies. The only thing I don’t like about it is that there isn’t a lot of good shore fishing. You pretty much want a boat if you’re going to go after them. And the Cedar River is about 100 yds away, where I routinely catch better fish than Meyers Lake. But if gills are your thing, you could do worse.

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Thanks for the information Canoli, I fished Volga lake and the Volga river alot when I was in college at Upper Iowa. Lake Meyer that I am talking about is in Winneshiek county just west of Calmar, Ia. I have had some success at Lake Meyer but I catch alot of small fish and was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching fish of any size. Sorry it took me so long to reply but I was out of internet service for about three weeks!

canoli
    Waterloo, IA

Quote:

Thanks for the information Canoli, I fished Volga lake and the Volga river alot when I was in college at Upper Iowa. Lake Meyer that I am talking about is in Winneshiek county just west of Calmar, Ia. I have had some success at Lake Meyer but I catch alot of small fish and was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching fish of any size. Sorry it took me so long to reply but I was out of internet service for about three weeks!

Ah, a Peacock, huh? I really like the area up there around Upper Iowa. As far as the info, no problem. The one thing I would recommend is that if you are going to fish it this spring, maybe call ahead to the Volga ranger station to find out how the water level is. If the melt comes too fast or we get too much rain, that lake’s water level always seems to shoot up quick. Then it’s practically unfishable. But when the water isn’t up, I have great success with cranks, topwaters, and especially my new favorites, Berkley Gulp! lures (I really like the Minnow Worms and 6″ and 8″ Nightcrawlers for bass). Good luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.