Franchi shotgun

• Gitchi Gummi

Over the weekend I picked up a Franchi Instinct SL O/U 20 gauge for a new upland hunting gun. As I was flipping through the user manual, I noticed it said not all Franchi shotguns are ok to shoot steel shot out of and the ones that are, are marked by a certain stamped symbol on the barrel. My gun does not have this symbol stamped on the barrel anywhere I can find. I’ve done some research and I seem to find some conflicting info on whether or not franchi shotguns without the barrel stamp are ok to shoot steel out of. I did find some info that you can only use certain chokes for steel shot out of the franchi shotguns, which I am ok with. I was planning on using this shotgun out in South Dakota this fall where you have to shoot steel.

I’ve reached out to franchi customer service but haven’t heard back or been able to get a hold of them. In the mean time, does anyone have experience with Franchi shotguns and steel shot? It seems silly to me that it wouldn’t be able to shoot steel but I definitely dont want to be ruining my gun. Other than this issue, it is an awesome gun and is extremely light at 5.4 LBs. I did notice the chokes that came with the gun have steel ratings on them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My Franchi auto-loader indicates on the choke tubes which can be used for steel and I have shot some out of it although it is generally my backup and lead gun. Hopefully Franchi gets back to you. I would want their blessing if there are any doubts.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I find it odd that you wouldn’t be able to shoot steel out of a modern shotgun. I don’t think I’d worry too much about it, especially with an improved or modified choke. If it were mine, I would probably wait until I heard back from Franchi, though.

Gitchi Gummi

I finally got through to someone on Benelli/Franchi’s customer service… So apparently the user manual is printed for guns going to like five different countries and is not necessarily consistent with the guns sold in the US… If you buy a Franchi in Europe, it needs to have the barrel stamp to shoot steel shot. All Franchi guns sold in the US are ok to shoot steel shot as long as you are using a modified or more open choke (i.e. # 3, 4, 5). Chokes 1 or 2 cannot shoot steel.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I finally got through to someone on Benelli/Franchi’s customer service… So apparently the user manual is printed for guns going to like five different countries and is not necessarily consistent with the guns sold in the US… If you buy a Franchi in Europe, it needs to have the barrel stamp to shoot steel shot. All Franchi guns sold in the US are ok to shoot steel shot as long as you are using a modified or more open choke (i.e. # 3, 4, 5). Chokes 1 or 2 cannot shoot steel.

The year I bought my Franchi I accidentally put in the Full tube when I wanted improved. I was shocked at how far I was dropping roosters the first few times I went to Iowa with steel mostly and some lead. SHOCKED. jester So were my buddies. Because of that I love the gun and feel very confident when using it but I use IC when hunting with steel……now. )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Good resolution!

FWIW, when required, I shoot steel through fixed choke barrels on our old Remington 1100s, and I’ve never had an issue. blush

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.