Frabill thermal tip up alarms

• Levi Rosendahl

I fish walleyes with tip ups regularly. I have the lights, but wanted to get better ideas for an alarm. I fish inside a shack usually and hate not looking out the window every 10 seconds. Cuts into beer drinking. Jk. Any good ideas? Cheap cheap cheap. Thank u

Reed

I’ve seen videos on youtube of people adding wireless doorbells and window alarms onto tip ups, but I haven’t seen a demo of one being installed on a frabill. I’m thinking about giving the doorbell method a shot myself; you can get a doorbell off amazon for under $10. There are other products out the like the Bluetipz and sensor strike, but you’ll be spending at least $50 on those.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Doorbells is your best bet for cheap. There used to be an alarm from Frabill or HT but haven’t seen that in about three years. Stuff like Bluetipz is out there but not in the keep it simple stupid category.

I like the audio notification to prevent gut hooking. The beer thing is nice too toast

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I plan on clipping some catfish bells to flag. Bout the cheapest route you can go, but also have to see how well a guy might be able to hear it in hub.

MNdrifter

I’ve seen videos on youtube of people adding wireless doorbells and window alarms onto tip ups, but I haven’t seen a demo of one being installed on a frabill. I’m thinking about giving the doorbell method a shot myself; you can get a doorbell off amazon for under $10.

I’ve been tinkering with this also. I put Velcro on some tip ups and some wireless doorbells I bought at the dollar store. Only problem is they do not hold up well in the cold.

Reed

I just ordered a wireless doorbell from amazon that claims to have an operating temp down to -22. I’m usually not fishing in temps that cold so I should be in the clear; If not I’m only out $12. If I get the time to tinker with it this weekend all post and update on how install goes.

Reed

So I have some fine example tuning and will probably remake the basket to better fit the doorbell button. But all it is is 2 90 degree braces, 3 U bolt plates, and the wireless doorbell. I also added a ‘bump’ to the flag pole to assist with depressing the button. But the total investment was only about $17. I’ve tested it up to around 100+ feet and had no connectivity issues. Just need to wait for some cold temps to find out if it will meet the -20 operating temperature it claims to have.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20161023-161119-2.png

2. Screenshot_20161023-161145-1.png

3. Screenshot_20161023-161119-1.png

4. Screenshot_20161023-161119.png

5. Screenshot_20161023-161145.png

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.