Frabill 241 Inline Reel (drag defect?)

• Oldreddbeard

Hey guys, I’m still learning all the ins and outs of inline reels. I have done some pretty extensive research (IMO) and decided I would give them a try this year. I’m kind of an ebay nerd so I did some scouting and found a deal that was too good to pass up. It’s a Frabill 241 Bro series 30″ quicktip COMBO for $25. Yes, I know the 241 is far from the best, and yes, I’ve read all the good and bad reviews, so I was aware of what I was buying, and c’mon you can’t beat $25 combo FACTORY SEALED. Plus, I didn’t want to brake bank on a reel I might not like so I thought it was the best bang for buck. However, don’t mind my choice of vocabulary (still learning the terms and names of the reels functions), I noticed that the drag system wasn’t clicking when I pulled line out, and it just doesn’t seem “smooth” (at least like I think it would). Does this model not have the drag clicking system? Is there a hidden feature on the reel that I have overlooked? And if it’s a defect, can it be fixed? Or am I better off sending it back to it’s seller? I also purchased the Frabill 101xla a few weeks earlier and the drag and everything about it is awesome actually, which is why I’m concerned, because the specs on the 241, from my research, seemed to be better than worse compared to the 101xla. Any thoughts would be very helpful. I really don’t enjoy going through the postal return procedures.

Attachments:
    1. s-l1600.jpg

Josh Bothum

I have a couple of those exact same combos… Love the action of the rod for panfish… I swapped out the reels about 1/2 way through the season last year… Using spinning reels on the rods this winter… As far as the drag goes, the only control is turning the drag on the side of the reel… It’s not smooth like a high end spinning reel for sure… I fished perch in about 15′ of water, and I much prefer the spinning reel. The fish I fish can’t tell the difference between reels. I have a small swivel connecting the main line and leader…both 2lb floro to minimize line twist, which is the advantage of the in line reel.

I have two mint condition 241 Frabill reels for sale if you or anyone else is interested… $15.00/ea.

Oldreddbeard

Lol well, if this is how the reel is actually made, I might just end up sending it back. It just does not feel right. Like, I really believe it has to be a defect. I wish i could describe whats happening more detailed, but it literally just feels like the the tension from the drag IS there, but at the same time just peeling line off. There’s no clicking, and it almost feels like there’s like no bearing or grease or something missing.

Tonka
    Minnesota

IMO the 371 frabills are way better

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.