Found a coyote den.

• mattgroff

Yesterday I was on my buddy’s property looking for a few mushrooms I brouhht my bow with me cause I have a archery turkey tag as I walked up the trail I heard a stick break by this log pile I looked over and about 20ft away was 2 pups on the pile. I quickly drew my bow but they jumped off the pile into the taller grass and weeds where I couldn’t get a shot. I found there trail going to and from the pile it is heavaly used. My question is what is my best way to destroy the whole pack. My area is loaded with these damn things. I am in Rosemount by Lebanon hills and there is way to many.they ruin a good archery hunt at least once a week during bow season and already ruined 2 turkey hunts for me.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

In my experience they will not come back to that den. Once found and human scent all over it they move on. Only experienced this once. Same situation. Accidentally found a den. That had pups in it when I found it. Went straight home and grabbed a trail camera. When I got back pups were gone and for the next month I never got a single photo off that den of a coyote.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

rambo

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I have no suggestions for you but I feel your pain. I also had a few archery trips screwed up in that area because of the over population of yotes. They are thick in Farmington too. I live just west of the 190th and Hwy 3 roundabout and I see a yote out in the corn fields or high lines about 2-3 times a week. The deer feed in those fields and sometimes you will see the deer running before you see the yote and then you scan back and sure enough there they are, running like crazy. Their even brave enough to enter the neighborhoods and a few people have had close calls with pets.

I was talking with the neighbor the other night and he had a good point about to much public (county park, city park) land which no one can hunt, and the private rural land is getting smaller and smaller every year. They have programs to remove over populations of deer in cities, why can’t they have the same for yotes. I know we choose to live on the edge of the country…. but with new construction and rural land disappearing like crazy these critters are being clumped into smaller areas and there are more and more sightings every year. I’ve heard that they control their own population with pack sizes and keep their population in check but that’s not what I’m seeing down here.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Coyotes, like fox, will often have 3 to 5 denning sites. Though 1 or 2 of them will be the primary and used most frequent.

Besides trapping, not much more is as affective as a 55gr .224 bullet traveling faster than 3X the speed of sound. Very distinct “WACK” upon impact.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Unless you get extraordinarily lucky, it is very difficult to put a significant dent in a coyote population in any given area. Because they are territorial, once you eliminate part of a pack, others simply move into the territory.

I’ve been hunting the cattle ranch for years and one of the sons of the owner also traps coyotes. Between us, we take about the same number of coyotes +/- 2-3 every year. You just can’t make a dent in the overall numbers that easily.

You have to look at what’s happening to attract the coyotes there in the first place. Because of the Burbization of those areas, the perfect habitat has been created for the food supply for coyotes. Lots of green lawns, bird feeders, and small, carved up parcels of land, etc. mean lots and lots of coyote food. Rabbits, geese, deer, cats, small dogs the coyotes love it all.

If you can use shotguns or rifles, I’d camo up, set up, and get to calling before it gets too buggy out there. You might get lucky and get the drop on 2-3 of them in one go.

Grouse

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

not much more is as affective as a 55gr .224 bullet traveling faster than 3X the speed of sound. Very distinct “WACK” upon impact.

I have never experienced this, but I absolutely LOVE the description! Just added this to my bucket list.

FDR

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    not much more is as affective as a 55gr .224 bullet traveling faster than 3X the speed of sound. Very distinct “WACK” upon impact.

I have never experienced this, but I absolutely LOVE the description! Just added this to my bucket list.

FDR

…3X and “WACK”. waytogo … …rrr

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

I feel I have to add that if you’ve never set up and called for coyotes, and done especially in the dark, there is nothing else like it in the world. Sight of a turkey, nose that of a deer, you had better cover your bases or you won’t be successful. There is NOTHING like putting it all together and putting one down.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I know I’m a little morbid.

Listen closely for the report that was over 500 yrds out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.