Forward Facing Sonar Debate

• troutbum
    St. Paul

Aaron is a wizard when it comes to editing.

jimmysiewert

What I see now, even on Lake Pepin is this: historic and excellent 3-way and trolling locations, where EVERYONE HISTORICALLY, has been on the same page and traveled in same methodology , etc. are now blocked by a few of these individuals, that pull into the pack, spot lock, and use their new toy. The words are a flying out there for sure! VERY disrespectful.

isu22andy

I dont see it that much on pepin honestly, mostly the dam and Id wager to say 95 percent of the time I dont see them excelling past the next guy who doesnt have it … now the crappie world is a different story. That said if you watch any of the NWT Coverage there is some excellent sticks using it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lowrance has introduced a new version at icast that will be available late this fall. Its the Eagle Eye 9 and it comes as a kit. Transducer, cord, and 9 inch graph all for 1000 bucks. Its not as sophisticated or advanced as their Active Target or Garmin’s Livescope, but utilizes the same technology of live forward or down facing sonar. And there’s no hub (black box) required either, strictly plug n play as a package.

Anyone who was on the fence about the cost will be joining the live sonar crowd in the near future.

CaptainMusky

Someone told me just yesterday that because of the FFS the DNR has reduced fish limits on areas of the mississippi. Any truth to this? I dont know if they are in effect yet though.

riverbassman

What I see now, even on Lake Pepin is this: historic and excellent 3-way and trolling locations, where EVERYONE HISTORICALLY, has been on the same page and traveled in same methodology , etc. are now blocked by a few of these individuals, that pull into the pack, spot lock, and use their new toy. The words are a flying out there for sure! VERY disrespectful.

So you are saying if you fish in this area, you must troll, in line and same direction as everyone else?
    If I am new to the area and fish it different (not necessarily FFS) I am a bad egg?
    Just trying to make sure I am reading it correctly.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If hunting in a fenced preserve you still have to pull the trigger. In fishing with FFS you still have to hook the fish. Both have fewer places to hide before being shot / hooked.

Is that a definition of fair chase?

Johnny

If hunting in a fenced preserve you still have to pull the trigger.

ya but you’re still “hunting” in a preserve and have removed fair chase as an element of the pursuit.

JoeMX1825
    MN

call me whatever, I don’t think Pro’s should be able to use FFS in Tourney’s…limit the technology to DI/SI/360 (point in time imaging) just my opinion

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

What is Aaron arguing with his editing and inclusion of these pro fishermen? I don’t follow it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>troutbum wrote:</div>

What is Aaron arguing with his editing and inclusion of these pro fishermen? I don’t follow it.

Just how the excuses and hypocrisy is getting out of hand was my take…

Justin riegel

1. You are old and cannot adapt if you cannot accept that FFS has its place in the new tourney world.
    2. The irony of the tourney he was fishing was it was won without the use of FFS as he could not get the big fish to go in the open water.

Just my take, felt like he pounded his message home with a sledgehammer on this one.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

This has been going on since the beginning of time people that only vertical jig and don`t troll nothing new and very common.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I do love Hank Parker complaining that FFS is resulting in fewer lure sales…hmmm, does he sell lures?

CaptainMusky

Is that video on his uncut angling channel? I cannot find it and I cannot click the link above its blocked for me.

tswoboda

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-08-06-090548.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I do love Hank Parker complaining that FFS is resulting in fewer lure sales…hmmm, does he sell lures?

It’s cause & effect. If true then the price of the lures they do sell will be higher or they market stuff for FFS fishing. Either way the price of fishing goes up. Which when you think about what fisherman will spend for boats & electronics why wouldn’t the lure companies try and stab the fisherman.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    yes, Uncut Angling Youtube channel

Weird, when I look his most recent video was 6 months ago.

it’s the first one on my page…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    it’s the first one on my page…

I cant see it on my PC but can see it on my phone. Weird.

Clear out your browser cache and history and reload the page

tswoboda

At the 37:00 mark there’s clips about how FFS debate content generates clicks and sells, which I 100% agree with. But isn’t all of the recent Uncut content completely about the FFS debate? The hypocrisy goes both ways here, but put me on the list of gobbling up the Uncut content. I think it’s fantastic

jimmysiewert

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jimmysiewert wrote:</div>

So you are saying if you fish in this area, you must troll, in line and same direction as everyone else?
    If I am new to the area and fish it different (not necessarily FFS) I am a bad egg?
    Just trying to make sure I am reading it correctly.

No – not what I meant at all and sorry for the confusion. What we are seeing is 10 boats can be 3-waying a point / small flat for example and someone pulls in, spot locks and then using their FFS – thus not allowing all the trollers to continue doing what they were doing – for hours prior.
    At the Rush – I have had it three times now where everyone was trolling the break – and work together. Then all of a sudden someone shows up, drops their spot lock, and uses their FFS. What happens? Everyone was working together – and that is now out the door because of a singular individual not respecting others and what they were doing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I understand what Jimmy is getting at here.

Years ago, when I would pull up to mud flat, most people would be lindy rigging. They were slowly going around on the edge of flat, backtrolling. Sometimes a dozen boats, sometimes a lot more, depending on the weather, day, and how good the bite was.

Every once in a while some dipshit would pull up to that flat, plop down an anchor, and start cork fishing. It ruined everyone else’s lindy rigging at that spot.

If you weren’t the first or second boat to a spot, you didn’t anchor. It was just an unwritten rule. Of course, nowadays, hardly anyone is using a manual anchor. Everyone just spot locks and speed corks a spot for few minutes and then moves again, so that problem just kind of disappeard on its own.

As far as setting up on a specific spot when there is a line of boats trolling an area, I woud say don’t set up right in line where they are going. Back off and stay out of the way unless you want to upset a bunch of other people already there and clearly working the area. A little respect can go a long ways. If you’re the first or second boat to an area, then you can set up in a stationary position and have it but if there’s a dozen boats clearly zig zagging back and forth then I would say no.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FFS and even better technology on the way , is not going to go away. Like others, I’m not a big fan of it, but going to have to learn to accept it. Rather or not someone wants to use it is up to them. Not saying I will not have one someday. I believe the day will come where you will need to have one just to help catch a few fish.

Ripjiggen

There is a new item that was introduced at cast that you attach to your rod and it will pan the FFS to whichever direction your rod is pointing so you don’t have to touch a handle anymore.

Pretty wild.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Take a quick look at the next two upcoming Elite events on Lake Champlain later this week and then the St Lawrence River and you will 100% see FFS in action. Nearly all the pro bass anglers will be sitting there on offshore structure with a vertical plastic presentation like a drop shot, aka “scoping.”

There will be some big bags brought in, no doubt about it. But it will be a complete snoozefest if you tune in.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

The hypocrisy goes both ways.
    What I found interesting is that Aaron and the guy that took first in the tournament ( Aaron took 2nd) won by large margins over the other competitors. Makes me wonder if they were the only two who had FFS on their kayaks…..
    If so he’s standing knee deep in hypocrisy.
    Proving a point while trying to disprove the same point.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.