Forest Lake

• Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Haven’t gotten to fish the lake I lived on in many years at least for walleye, but I’m back living in the area. Went out yesterday and had an absolute blast. Ran the weed edge on lake 1 with livescope and found some walleyes and was able to sharpshoot them with a drop shot and leech. Caught 8 in an hour and a half all between 20-26″.

Was very surprised but I really

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Forest lake has always been a great fishery. Just gets crazy with recreational boaters and the launches are usually a poop show.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Oh I agree. Used to live on the lake and would fish it all the time and just always struggled with walleye for some reason.

Now that I have been tournament fishing for a number of years and learned a lot it was just fun to go out and really put it together for once. Moved back to the area about a year and a half ago and just now getting a chance to get back out there and play around. Been spending too much time on Tonka.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Chris, Do you have any photos of what a walleye looks like on FFS? Are you facing the weeds or looking down the side along the edge?

Walleye Hungry

Forest lake continues to crush me on the walleye fishing. I also do not have FFS which i think would help, just dont have the means to buy it yet.

Do you think you would have been as successful without it? would you have been able to pinpoint them on SI? I have spent a lot of hours cruising the weed edge with SI when out with the family but usually dont find a ton to stop on. I tend to stay on Lake 1 as well

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Forest lake continues to crush me on the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye fishing. I also do not have FFS which i think would help, just dont have the means to buy it yet.

Do you think you would have been as successful without it? would you have been able to pinpoint them on SI? I have spent a lot of hours cruising the weed edge with SI when out with the family but usually dont find a ton to stop on. I tend to stay on Lake 1 as well

I do not have ffs and have done excellent out there just fishing weed edges I’ve found to look fishy. Mark a fish, fish for that fish and move. I have also had some really bad days out there. My 2 or 3 biggest local walleye have come from that lake. I typically try to avoid 1st lake tho. Even though my accidental 54 inch musky came from lake 1 right at the beach.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleye Hungry wrote:</div>
    Forest lake continues to crush me on the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye fishing. I also do not have FFS which i think would help, just dont have the means to buy it yet.

I do not have ffs and have done excellent out there just fishing weed edges I’ve found to look fishy. Mark a fish, fish for that fish and move. I have also had some really bad days out there. My 2 or 3 biggest local walleye have come from that lake. I typically try to avoid 1st lake tho. Even though my accidental 54 inch musky came from lake 1 right at the beach.

Essentially, Bearcat is correct. You could fish weed edges and catch a few. I essentially went out there not expecting much but needed to up my fishing in the weeds game for tournaments to compete a bit more.

Could I have caught fish just fishing without FFS, ehhh probably. But FFS I was able to find fish much faster and target them specifically which made me more efficient which is what i need to be doing in tournaments.

As far as what I looked for that’s a bit harder, but I will give it my best shot. Essentially worked from deep water to shallow knowing the only walleyes I have ever caught on that lake have always related to weed edges. As I got in, I scanned the weed edge while going into the wind which makes it much easier. Then saw balls or torpedo’s on the edge or them hanging out in open pockets on the edge of the weeds. Throw at them and they would instantly commit. Leech worked the best as panfish surprisingly wouldn’t touch the leech. Crawler the panfish attacked and stripped it clean. Then plastics which they wouldn’t even look at.

I consider myself pretty good with FFS but weeds are a bit more of a challenge. so, it was all practice for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.