Foreign minnow found with sucker minnows at Ray's mini Mart

Anyone seen one of these minnows? It’s still alive while all the sucker minnows died and it has spikes on top and on bottom! It’s a die hard!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190529_204543.jpg

Brian G
    Independence, MN

That’s a stickleback. Not sure if they’re invasive, but they’re fairly common in minnow tanks.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

It’s a native Minnesota minnow. Brook Stickleback. common minnow

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Better than an unseen willow cat mixed with your fatheads! shock doah

robby
    Quad Cities

They are neat!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Walleyes love stickelbacks!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Mistake learned,I hope in naming an establishment for what your not sure of is not good for these guys that serve us. It’s ok your concerned!
    THANKS! For asking about what your not sure of. We need this to procure our rights to fish.

rmartin
    United States

5 spined stickleback, not invasive.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I used to keep them as a kid. Pretty cool breeding g behavior, Google stickleback nest.

Gordio

To be fair, that bait shop didn’t go trap the minnows themselves most likely. A company comes and dumps minnows into their tanks. So I think you’re naming the wrong company

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I’ve seen them all the time in with fat heads or crappie minnows ice fishing. I’ve had no luck fishing with them. Take them off and put a crappie minnow on and got a bite right away. Not a big deal just toss them out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ What he said.

Dad always told me “fish” won’t bite on them, so I’ve never used them. I’m surprised others have had luck with them.

Like me, Dad was never wrong.

munchy
    NULL

I find it odd that she created an account just to post this thread….

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I find it odd she didn’t know what a Stickleback was.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

^ What he said.

Dad always told me “fish” won’t bite on them, so I’ve never used them. I’m surprised others have had luck with them.

Like me, Dad was never wrong.

I was always told the same thing. I’ve tried multiple times to disprove that idea without any luck.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

I find it odd, a lot of folks are trying read more into this than what is there.

Maybe she is a new angler. Maybe she asked “Anyone seen one of these minnows?” because she was hoping someone could identify it for her. I did not know what a stickleback was, when I first began fishing.

FWIW: She never said the minnow in question was “invasive”. She called the minnow “foreign” as in; for·eign = strange and unfamiliar.
    “I suppose this all feels pretty foreign to you”

If you had never seen one before I’m sure it would look strange and unfamiliar to you as well.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wade Boardman wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

I find it odd, a lot of folks are trying read more into this than what is there.

Maybe she is a new angler. Maybe she asked “Anyone seen one of these minnows?” because she was hoping someone could identify it for her. I did not know what a stickleback was, when I first began fishing.

FWIW: She never said the minnow in question was “invasive”. She called the minnow “foreign” as in; for·eign = strange and unfamiliar.
    “I suppose this all feels pretty foreign to you”

If you had never seen one before I’m sure it would look strange and unfamiliar to you as well.

Just naming the bait shop in the title makes me question their intentions. Had she just said “foreign minnow found in my bait bucket” I wouldnt have thought twice.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I too was told by everyone who fishes that fish will not eat them. Well, I like to prove others wrong and find out for myself so I did. I had a trap in a nearby pond and had about a dozen of these in it. Fish eat fish and the river walleyes had no problem eating these. If it’s in the paper, interweb or comes out of someone else’s mouth it has to be true….right?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.