Food in Fergus falls ?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Anything good to eat out here ? Ran out here for a evening shift doing some cutting and demo at Walmart and want something good to eat. Any great places to eat ?

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

the truck stop used to be good when I was up there many years ago.. can’t say for sure now… good luck!!

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Socials is a pretty good place to eat at. Just down the road from home depot. Otherwise there is a really good Mexican place called fiesta brava in the strip mall. Keep going into to town and turn left after walgreens.. this time of year alot of places stop serving food at 8. I’ll be up there in 2 weeks for work myself, usually hit socials, or drive further on 94 to Rothsay and eat at the Powerhouse.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Fergus is a shell of its former self. Big Chief truck stop for a bison burger is a good bet. If Alex is in play I would say Pike and Pint but doubt you’re running back to the cities that night.

Final answer, truck stop.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fergus is a shell of its former self. Big Chief truck stop for a bison burger is a good bet. If Alex is in play I would say Pike and Pint but doubt you’re running back to the cities that night.

Final answer, truck stop.

I’ll be back but it’ll be 4 or 5 am. Worked all day, drove out here now to work all night and go home and hunt the am

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anytime someone says you get good Mexican in a strip mall you know they’ve never had good Mexican. Sorry Justin.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I never made it any where, settled with my cold sloppy Joe left overs.

Riverrat

Mabels across the street from Walmart is pretty good. They got new owners so they are trying out some different things. If you sneak off to the river behind there you can maybe catch a few nice smallies.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Anytime someone says you get good Mexican in a strip mall you know they’ve never had good Mexican. Sorry Justin.

I will disagree with that to my grave. While working an event in Oklahoma City we ate at a Mexican Restaurant in a Strip mall, one of the best I’ve ever had. Bars on the windows, no English on the menus, and they literally took Pesos if you had them.

I encountered a few other similar situations, albeit not as good, in many other strip mall Mexican restaurants in many other states, mostly on the west coast.

Charles

There is no good food Fergus, sorry lol.

Riverrat

During the Rona we needed to get out so we took a roadie to a mexican restaurant that was attached to a house that was attached to a hotel. It turned out to be the nicest cleanest restaurant I’d ever been in. I’m pretty sure people were murdered in the seedy hotel, but the food was good. It was right off 10 in Wadena.

Michael Best

It’s been awhile since I have ate at either one of these places. Heck they might not even be around anymore.
    Mable Murphy’s used to have a good food.
    The other place that is NE of Fergus but had good food was The old red school house.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Strip malls, taco trucks/trailers and hole in the wall places have the best Mexican food, I’ll die on this hill Matt! rotflol jester

Michael Best

I can second the taco trailers as being the best.

Down in Storm Lake Iowa there is a lady that has a trailer.
    Her tacos are the best. Sprinkle a little onion and cilantro on them with the salsa she makes it’s mouth watering.

There was a little place down in Floydada TX that wasn’t much to look at it boy was it good.

LabDaddy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I will disagree with that to my grave. While working an event in Oklahoma City we ate at a Mexican Restaurant in a Strip mall, one of the best I’ve ever had. Bars on the windows, no English on the menus, and they literally took Pesos if you had them.

I encountered a few other similar situations, albeit not as good, in many other strip mall Mexican restaurants in many other states, mostly on the west coast.

X2

Sorry Matt, but I gotta disagree on this one.

I’d argue it’s the tiny little taqueria’s in strip malls that are often times the best AND most affordable, authentic Mexican places. I can list a few between St. Paul and Burnsville if anyone is interested.

If you want “fancy” sit-down Mexican places I can’t help at all.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The best Mexican food I’ve had was was not 1 or 2 but 3 different taco trucks. Something about those things they seem to always be fire. Typically the trashier they look the better the food.
    Sadly I didn’t eat anywhere, and worked till 3 am so I didn’t get home until 6am this morning, and now going to find me the north branch taco truck.
    If you guys are around here their beef tongue tacos are fricken delicious

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Alright…but a strip mall in Fergus Falls is different than a strip mall in Oklahoma City when it comes to Mexican food.

Also, I didn’t say anything about food trucks. You could argue that food trucks are the only place you should get tacos from.

deertracker

Not Mexican specific, but I think watching DDD has shown us all that some of the best food comes from strip malls.
    DT

picklerick
    Central WI

I’d argue that Mexican food in small town middle America is likely tailored to the local palate. When I moved to the middle of WI in 2002, salsa at the only Mexican restaurant for 30 miles tasted like ketchup. The few locals I knew said that black pepper jerky was too spicy for them. I knew the folks working there weren’t eating that crap, so we’d always ask for whatever sauce they were eating. I do this now in any Mexican restaurant if their salsa is too mild, and thankfully there are a lot more options in our county now.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’d argue that Mexican food in small town middle America is likely tailored to the local palate. When I moved to the middle of WI in 2002, salsa at the only Mexican restaurant for 30 miles tasted like ketchup. The few locals I knew said that black pepper jerky was too spicy for them. I knew the folks working there weren’t eating that crap, so we’d always ask for whatever sauce they were eating. I do this now in any Mexican restaurant if their salsa is too mild, and thankfully there are a lot more options in our county now.

We always pay attention if the Mexican restaurant is owned and managed by white people or by Mexicans. All the big ones are owned by whites and they are all real blah when it comes to taste. Like Don Julios, fiesta cancun and so on. All white man owned and all taste like blah.
    The little hole in the walls ran and owned by Spanish guys all taste authentic and are bomb.

picklerick
    Central WI

Another sure sign is if Latinos are actually eating there. Keep tabs on what they’re ordering, because it will probably be the most authentic. I’m sure a lot of rural folks prefer or even only know about Tex-Mex recipes. In my book, you just can’t beat some tender chopped steak topped with cilantro, onion and a generous dose of hot sauce. Homemade corn tortillas are the clincher for me.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

There used to be a Mexican place at a strip mall in Forest Lake. It was the most rotten fried Mexican food I’ve ever had and the salsa may have been ketchup.

My parents loved it…but then again, my dad puts ketchup on steak.

ThunderLund78

Yup, if there’s a bar that no one sits at and every screen has soccer or Mexican soap operas, than it’s a safe bet the food will be pretty dang good! We have one Mexican restaurant in my town, it’s in a strip mall and it is exactly as I described it — and it’s fantastic. Plus the family that runs it has a few other locations around southern MN and they’re really hard working and great folks.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Another sure sign is if Latinos are actually eating there.

That’s the key right there. All gringos is no bueno.

There is a taco trailer in the Menards parking lot in Oakdale. It looks a little odd but it’s all brown people in line at lunch except for me. Awesome but you gotta order off the Mexican-Mexican menu which is not translated or explained.

There is another joint called El Itacate in the worlds most unappealing strip mall in Oakdale. 10 tables and all brown people sitting at them. Ask for the salsa they eat, it won’t be like ketchup I’ll tell you that.

True story about spicy food, at an Indian restaurant the waiter asked me 1 to 5 what spice level did I want.

I asked him is a 5 would kill a white boy and he said “Most assuredly.” Then he thought about for a second and said, “Well here in Minnesota a 2 would actually do most people in so…”

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.