Follow up on my Lithium Lazer

• hamms
    Mn

Very cool Dave! Plus there is a special magic that comes with the 6″ hole!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Well I did it!
    Just ordered the SM Lithium 8″
    Gander, Cabelas and Mills have a price tag of $599

I ordered it from L&M for $449 plus free shipping.

Can’t wait for the white truck to stop in front of the house!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Got the new SM Lithium Lazer.

I put it together and took the five minute drive to White Bear Lake to test it out.

Push the main power button and then the switch to run and away you go.
    At first I thought it was under powered, before drilling with it. I concluded that it’s quietness led me to feel this way. After running loud gas augers i guess I equated power to noise.

It drilled beautifully through the 13″ of ice I tested it on.

I know that weight is a big thing but I hope quality isn’t being sacrificed to save weight. This auger is pretty much all plastic. I know there’s good plastic and bad plastic and I’m putting my faith in Strikemaster. Time will tell on this one.

I sold my old auger that I bought last year to my friend and have a thirty day option to buy it back waytogo It did feel a bit odd to make the switch but I did it with lawn tools last spring, weed wacker,blower etc…and glad I did.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m a little curious why it just dropped to $450 all over the internet, yet pretty much all other ice gear is still at the same fall prices….I can understand the price drop in March/April, but early January? seems way too early…anyways, folks who held out are getting a great deal on new technology… Reed’s has them for only $420 yikes!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m a little curious why it just dropped to $450 all over the internet, yet pretty much all other ice gear is still at the same fall prices….I can understand the price drop in March/April, but early January? seems way too early…anyways, folks who held out are getting a great deal on new technology… Reed’s has them for only $420 yikes!

Yeah, I don’t know Joe. Maybe it’s people being cautious and not buying them? I don’t know. Time will tell I suppose.

Worst case I sell it next year and go back to the Eskimo Z51, I love that auger and it’s a great value.

Hope I’m not dissapointed, I haven’t really heard much bad about them but maybe that’s cause not many people are buying them!

The Ion has been out for a while now with pretty good reviews, the technology can’t be much different.

Thanks for the heads up on Reeds price. I called L&M and ask if I had to return it and go to Reeds and they refunded the $40 difference.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m all in for battery auger technology (I’ve had an Ion for a few years now) I’m sure you’ll love the Lithium Lazer!

crappieguy

Rehashing an old thread!

Looks like a lot of online retailers have pulled this item, cabelas, reeds, fleet.

Is it because it’s the end of the auger season or are there issues?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Rehashing an old thread!

Looks like a lot of online retailers have pulled this item, cabelas, reeds, fleet.

Is it because it’s the end of the auger season or are there issues?

That’s unsettling since I just bought one! Mine has worked flawlessly though. Maybe one of the prostaffers can shed some light?

Doug Wood

I’m really leaning toward the new lithium lazer… Won’t be able to afford it this year, but it’s on the xmas list for next year ;)

JoeMX1825
    MN

only a guess, but they probably only made a small set amount of augers to see how many people would pony up $599 for it… whatever limited stock retailers had left they quickly discounted them down to $450-$420 to get rid of their stock.. I bet next years model will have a lower initial price tag…probably $499 to better compete with the Ion…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

You know it no different than going into stores right after Christmas and seeing valentine stuff…

The ice season starts firing up in October and starts winding down in February. .

I seriously doubt that the Strikemaster Lithium is having any issues at all !!

I’ll be out this weekend pile driving holes with mine that’s for sure !!

I know I have a good product when I go fishing with my buddies and they leave their augers at home !!

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

Well im glad the price came down to 419 at reeds. I bought mine and am very happy with it. Time will tell if it was worth the price but as for now im happy.

Egts

OK Dave, I gotta ask. Ever use that Milwaukee Vex electric rig? That thing weighs in at 10lbs. The K-Drill I think it is called. I’m looking at that too.

JD Winston….I just got a K Drill this year & absolutely love it. I opted for the 8″ model & run it with a Milwaukee 18v Fuel with 4ah batteries. I am getting 25-26 holes through 12-13″ of rock solid clear ice on ONE battery with it being left out in the cold. Again keep in mind that is with the 8″ model. I have no doubt that one could get 30-35 holes in the same ice conditions with the 6″ model.
    The key to maximizing hole count it a drill with a brushless motor & large capacity batteries. Anything less & you’ll be left frustrated.
    The benefit to the K Drill/Milwaukee set up is that you now have a sub 10# auger that drills right at the same pace as a Lazer, but you have the ability to open up existing holes. I’m not trying to sound arrogant, but there is nothing else on the market that comes close to the weight/performance of this set up…..& I’ve played with 90% of all augers out there. Is it the best for everyone? No, but there likely will never be ONE perfect tool. However having the ability to use my cordless drill in the off season is a benefit.
    I was able to score 2 extra 4ah batteries on Amazon for $83
    each. They retail for $130. I now have the ability to drill 100+ holes a day of needed.
    The other thing that is nice about the K Drill is that you can run it with a Lazer/Clam powerhead. If you want a really lightweight gas option, pair it with a Tanaka power head & you now have a 17# gas auger. I guess, I’m saying it’s nice to have options.
    I’m any engineer by trade for a large green Ag company & I will say that this is one of the most well thought out augers available. The build quality is second to none. PS. I have not been paid nor do I represent Vexilar, just a really happy customer.
    Again, I don’t think there is a bad auger out there today, each has their own benefits that YOU have decide & make your decision on. It’s never been better to be a consumer with so many great choices.
    I try to fish back waters of the Mississippi slot & light weight is key in dragging stuff up and down the ditches, over RR tracks & through grass/marshy areas.
    If any one has any questions on my auger set up, feel free toPM me. I would be happy to answer any questions based on my experience. Good luck in your decision.

nubbinbuck

I am certainly not up-to-date on Lithium technology, so I ask….

Do these batteries not develop ‘memories’? Are you supposed to run them low, before charging, or not worry about it?

Thanks.

roger

I too got the deal at reeds, hope it was worth it! So far its been fantastic. sure is nice comparing to the pia gas drill. Had bought the nils convertible had auger which worked great till I spun the shaft on it, which is a common problem now the I have read, pure junk. The only think I don’t like on this auger is the battery removal. Any of you guys have a problem with it?

crappieguy

I’ve been so close to pulling the trigger w few times now, even talked to Dave first hand about it. But I can’t get over one thing, we seem to be expecting a shelf life of 3-4 years? Maybe more. Do we think the battery price will come down? Or different, Better batteries will be available?

I hate the idea of essentially buying a new auger every 6-8 years, or sinking 50% of the market value into it every 3-4 years. I don put have a permanent. I need an auger for when I hit the lakes by myself or with my 8 year old. When it’s me or me and the guys we like to make Swiss cheese! I just about sold myself on a nils but I love the idea of push button start, no noise no fumes.

I good friend al list has me sold on a jiffy pro 4, but 40lbs?

And, another reputable guy has me going strike master with a solo.

If there’s one thing I hate more, it’s gas devices not working, like my snow blower, or my friends 2 year old jiffy that already needs a tune up.

But, I also have a lithium weed whacker on the wall of my garage that’s been dead for 5 years! Can’t find a bettery for it.

I’ve never been more frustrated, but I mull over investments for weeks!

Help, put me out of my misery!

castle-rock-clown

Hand augers never go out of style. Eat your Wheaties, and your good to go. No gas, no batteries, just keep your blades sharp.

Egts

Crappieguy,
    If you want propane, look at the Jiffy Pro4 Lite. It’s about 26ish pounds. My dad has one & it’s really nice. You also can’t go wrong with a Solo powered Lazer. I’ve had my Lazer for 18ish years & the Tecumseh runs like a Swiss watch. I’ve changed the plug 3 times & never had to do anything else. I won’t get rid of it, it’s just been to good to me.
    Last year there is no way i would have considered a battery powered auger, but I decided to try the K Drill with the Milwaukee Fuel drill because Milwaukee sells millions of batteries for their tools & I’ve never heard anything bad about them.
    I was extremely interested in a SM lithium auger, but it would not save me any weight from my gas auger. I have no doubt that it is an awesome product. As I indicated earlier there is no auger that can compare to weight & performance of the K Drill/Milwaukee combo. But you need to make a decision that works for you. Good luck & I’m sure you’ll be happy with most products out there today.

crappieguy

I think in the last 8 hours I’ve managed to sell myself on the Eskimo HC40. I know squat about small engines but “being built from the ground up as a propane engine and not a repurposed gas engine” just has a nice ring to it. And 10lbs lighter to boot!

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Realize that for every person on here telling the world about auger problems there’s 1000’s out there with dependable ones they have had for years. All of the major manufacturers out there today make quality products. Chippers are foolproof and need sharpening every few years but always work, lazers are a little more finicky but if you’re careful they last a while depending on how much you use it. I probably would stay away from electric if not in a house. There’s lots of lightweight chippers out there.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Lithium batteries will without a doubt come down in price. Many tools, in every genre are made in a Li model. I even saw a Hoover vacuum powered by a lithium batt at Mills.
    I’ve already started converting, weed wacker and leaf blower.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I am certainly not up-to-date on Lithium technology, so I ask….

Do these batteries not develop ‘memories’? Are you supposed to run them low, before charging, or not worry about it?

Thanks.

This is covered on page 1 of this thread.

castle-rock-clown

I just dropped some cash on the K-drill, I already have the Milwaukee drill and since hearing it will also work on my solo gas head, well, I figure for a lightweight setup and backup I couldn’t go wrong. I will post weights and rate performance after next weekend.

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

From what iv’e read they do not develop memories, let me know if im wrong. Use as needed, charge as needed.. Don’t leave on a charger more then 24 hours(if completely drained) through out the off season put on a charger every couple of months for 1/2 hour at most, fully charge before using for the first time ice fishing.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.